Poll: Squiers- good or bad?
Poll Options
View poll results: Squiers- good or bad?
Squiers suck!!!
10 29%
Good deal for the money
22 63%
Don't even mess with a strat
3 9%
Voters: 35.
Ok, im looking for a new guitar and im undecided- save up for a fender fat strat, or go with a cheaper squier? I will take suggestions on others guitars i should get, but i plan on gettin a strat. I figured i would make a poll since i couldnt find one on here to settle the issue if squiers are really junk or are just gettin a bad rep
squiers are basically very cheap beginner guitars for people who are gonna stop playing guitar after a month. If i were you, id save up for the fender strat.
"If my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair."
-Led Zeppelin

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Jimmy_Page99 can kiss his ass is started with a squier as a beginner and i still play 3 years later. good beginer guitars. otherwise horrible. SCHECTER!
Save up for a MIM strat, OR get a Ibanez RG321MH. Much better guitar... Mahogony body, 2 humbuckers , 24 fret wizard neck....

Most squires are garbage, with either plywood or some cheap wood.. You will be much better off being patient, and saving your money.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
"im looking for a new guitar"

Well what do you have now?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Go with one of the less expensive Ibanez guitars. You can get one that is INFINITELY better than a Squier for >=500$ (I did :P)
sorry about the delay on the poll, im new as this. Right now i have a BC Rich Mockingbird starter pack- I've been using a RP100 effects pedal because I get bad distortion out of amp. I play all sorts of rock, AC/DC, Metallica, Zeppelin, SOAD, Green Day, Ozzy- anything except speed/death metal. Right now I'm willing to spend up to about $250, but in a few months probably around $400.
^ For your genre, DEFINATEY a RG321MH..... Like i said before, mahogony body, 24 fret thin comfortable neck, and HUMBUCKERS which are a MUST for your style of music.

For another 29.99$ you can get one.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
^ I agree with him. A Squier would hardly even be a step up from what you are currently playing, so save some more and look into Ibanez RG line.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
I'm 15 years old and I've only been playing around 7 months, I'm just in need of some good distortion- should I just get an amp for now? I can spend around $120 for an amp, but if I buy a guitar I'm going to wait until I earn some money this summer, or hope for the best when my bday and Christmas comes around. I will look at getting an Ibanez.
Last edited by vicd08 at Jun 19, 2006,
Oh, i forgot about amp.

Do you mean out of the 250, you can spend 120 on the amp? or do you have a seperate 120 for the amp
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Well, I can go tomorrow and spend $120 on an amp, I'm going to wait on guitar till at least fall, just don't have the money now. Also, I want to get an amp to go with an Ibanez, whenever I get one
Squiers are the best deal for the money!!! There's absolutly nothing wrong with them. Don't be a sucker and spend hundreds of dollars on an electric guitar.
Get a used one if you can and save your hard-earned dollars. You can mod the electronics as your playing skills develop and upgrade to a better guitar later.

There are so many people out there that have bought too much guitar for their musical inability. Go for the Squier!!!
Squiers blow ass. Buy an Ibanez.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
vicd08, another idea you could do is buy a squier strat and buy a humbucker(most are under $100,in fact I don't think I've seen one over) and have it installed when you take the squier to be setup.No matter what guitar you get, whether its a Strat or some Ibanez(ooh big woop)you most likely won't like the stock pickups and want to switch them out.And when you buy an amp take all your current starter stuff for trade in or sell it and put it with your money towards a good amp.Thats just an idea though.
Last edited by LordOfTeMohawks at Jun 19, 2006,
Quote by Siciliano
Squiers are the best deal for the money!!! There's absolutly nothing wrong with them. Don't be a sucker and spend hundreds of dollars on an electric guitar.
Get a used one if you can and save your hard-earned dollars. You can mod the electronics as your playing skills develop and upgrade to a better guitar later.

There are so many people out there that have bought too much guitar for their musical inability. Go for the Squier!!!

as much as he sounds like a jackass, hes got a point.
squiers arent terrible guitars, their made of alder (same as fender) so dont say "theyre made out of some **** wood, buy a fender!" theyre the same wood!

electronics are certainly upgradable, heck you can even buy a new neck if you want to, or if the need arises cause you have problems with fret buzz.

and ill second what ikki_slimy_bugs said... i have a squier, and im still playing it. almost 3 years later. whats the big deal, it does what i want it to do. I love my squier. no regrets.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
Just like what Zen said, Squier bashing is popular here and the fad of the month is Ibanez!
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
some squiers are actually really good, the 51 kicks ass. And i've heard good things about the tele custom copys too. Definatly not metal guitars either.
And i do agree that alot of people seem to recommend ibanez in every "what guitar i should buy thread" are following a little trend but they are quality guitars none the less.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by AmericanIdiot91
as much as he sounds like a jackass, hes got a point.
squiers arent terrible guitars, their made of alder (same as fender) so dont say "theyre made out of some **** wood, buy a fender!" theyre the same wood!

electronics are certainly upgradable, heck you can even buy a new neck if you want to, or if the need arises cause you have problems with fret buzz.

and ill second what ikki_slimy_bugs said... i have a squier, and im still playing it. almost 3 years later. whats the big deal, it does what i want it to do. I love my squier. no regrets.

Thank you for the kind words, I think. I have three modded Squier strats and they sound as good as a Strat can sound. I also have a MIM and American Strat and the Squiers have never given me any problems over the years.
^well, u see anyone on this site who goes around supporting squiers is gonna look like a jackass...myself included.

anyways i totally agree with ya
My Gear:
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
^^ ha... u can buy a ukele for about 50 bucks, but that prob is the walmart quality one....
My Gear:
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
On a more serious note...I'd buy a Gibson they usally run you about 3k pretty cheap.
Quote by Cingularrrr
On a more serious note...I'd buy a Gibson they usally run you about 3k pretty cheap.

3,000 isnt cheap for a 15 year old. and I hope you were kidding.
if you are look for a fat strat that is squier cheap go for a Yamaha Pacifica
its a decent guitar for about $130 its HSS and but the input is kind of sensitive so dont yank to hard on it
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
Some Squiers are made of straight Alder, but most are Alder/Agathis which is definitely not the same wood Fender uses. But I've played a few Squiers that I really did like. The Squier Tele Custom comes to mind first. It's built to resemble a 72 Tele and actually plays pretty nice. The guy at Guitar Center told me it was made of Poplar but I did some research and it's actually Alder/Agathis. Could have fooled me. It sounded quite nice.

But anyway, Ibanez does make some really nice guitars but my favorite company is Schecter so I have to recommend them. They may be a bit out of your price range though so definitely give Ibanez a look. You also may want to check out rondomusic.net. They have some really nice guitars at very affordable prices I've heard. Ebay is also an option.

It really just comes down to what sounds and feels nice to you.
All I want to know is if I should get a Squier Fat Strat, Fender Fat Strat, or I guess now, an Ibanez. Also any amps under $100 If you can recommend any. To be honest I could care less about the kinds of wood, or any specfic details- not to be rude- but just a straightforward recommendation.
Last edited by vicd08 at Jun 19, 2006,
Lets revive this thread- I wan't an Ibanez, which model would be good for me?