Ive seen some people learning a tab and it being a biatch. On some things, like the Dani California solo, the music is all over the place, on end of the neck to the other, on different strings. So what I did was just find the same not on a closer fret on a different string, and reworked it. It took a little more time, but its alot easier to play.

Do any of you do this, or just follow the tab exactly?
i just get the idea on solos and mess around a little
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
No.

I play it like its supposed to be played, or improvise completely different and make my own solo.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Well if it is a TAB book, then I play the way it is. Only because that is how the artist plays it, or supposedly. If it is internet tabs, then they aren't 100% accurate and if I find something that sounds more correct then I play it that way.
yea it doesnt matter it u move it to a different string as long as its the same note
it usually depends what ur playin...some things sound different (better or worse) on different strings
i use them as a guide... after all, how other do you find tabs that are perfect?
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
Agreed^^^

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Generally people don't take nearly enough care in making their tabs easy to read and understand. It gets so frustrating when you try to learn a solo and it sounds nothing like the song even though you are following the tab exactly.

Unless you are trying to accurately replicate a record, there is no need to follow the tab exactly. You can adapt music to your style and level of comfort.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jun 19, 2006,
As stated above, tabs are rarely 100% correct. If you learn it note by note, you're typically just learning a note by note transcription of someone elses version of the song.

I rarely follow tabs exactly (unless it's a really simple song). I always look for more efficient ways to voice chords, play riffs, etc. It's okay to stray. Afterall, when you hear a cover song by a band you like, it's usually not all that close to the original. In a lot of cases, it's very different. Download several mp3s of cover songs. For example, Sunshine of Your Love by Cream, Frank Zappa, Ozzy and Hendrix. They are all very different.
hell no. I trust myself to figure out what I hear more than the tabber.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

no because tabs are usually wrong
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I usually learn the main riff and improvise everything else cause I'm a lazy SOB.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
usually, I'll just play what I read, then again there are songs where the chords are a real bitch (ie: an F chord while playing at a moderatly fast speed) in those cases I'll just clip off a few notes

a real example is that yesterday morning I came here to find the chords for "Make You Feel Better" and in the song you're supposed to hold each chord to get some sustain and I find that the Bm chord is a bitch to do that with, so I just clipped off the note from the high e string and it sounds perfectly fine
Quote by bassmo_part2
Embryodead even if she was the hottest thing on the planet, there are lines you just don't cross and on my side of the line we don't finger our sisters.

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join
I really play it if it sounds EXACTLY like it. I bought an Audioslave tab book, IT'S WRONG! Not all of it, but enough. Live videos prove this statement, man. Anyways, the tabs on here are pretty good. And uh... that's all I got.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
To simplify my answer...

No, I don't take shortcuts when learning how to play a song.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
I rarely play it exactly like the tab if I can find a more efficient way of getting the same sound. It really just depends on the song, but tabs are more of a guideline for me. Remember, a tab is just the tabber's interpretation of the song and is rarely 100% accurate.
i use guitar pro, try it, Its probably the easiest way to learn songs cuz you actually hear the tab
Schecter C-1-XXX - Seymour Duncan Jazz/Invader
Schecter A-1 - EMG 81/81
Schecter S-1 - EMG 81/85
Titan Custom Fernandes Ravelle Style

Peavy G-150
Line 6 Spider II 30

Line 6 Constrictor
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Artists don't play their songs EXACTLY how they wrote them live, so obviously there's room for creativity. Tabs, like critiques of art are only interpretations of works. If you really want to master a song, learn it on your own then compare it to a reliable tab. Tweak your version until you find what works best for you and your personal style.
Quote by guitarrocka205
I really play it if it sounds EXACTLY like it. I bought an Audioslave tab book, IT'S WRONG! Not all of it, but enough. Live videos prove this statement, man. Anyways, the tabs on here are pretty good. And uh... that's all I got.

actually its not that its wrong its that Tom decides to play it differently
i'm not sure what part of the forum i was in, but they were discussing Master of Puppets (the song) and talking about how there are like 3 different ways to play it becuase Kirk plays it different on stage and when doing video lessons and tabbing it out

someone said that they learn the main riff and then improv the rest because they are lazy...well its the same on my end
I am far too unmotivated to learn "The Trooper" through and through
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.