Okay, heres the deal. I have been playing an Epiphone SG Special for about two years. My birthday is coming up in two months and my parents say I am good enough to get a nicee guitar. Would an Epiphone Les Paul Standard be a good step forward? Or would you guys recomend something else in that price range?
Get the Classic, its only $500 and has an upgraded neck, a badass finish and a pickup upgrade. I love mine. And if you want, I can post a picture of it.
uhh buddy... Standard > classic, classic does not have better pick ups ( well it depends on what he plays, but typically not.) and ive never heard anything about this here "neck upgrade"
No I don't want to play your guitar... I might light it on fire.
Quote by pierce34celtic
the Epiphone les paul standard plain top is better, but what's your price range?

My price range is about 500.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Get the Classic, its only $500 and has an upgraded neck, a badass finish and a pickup upgrade. I love mine. And if you want, I can post a picture of it.

Sure, why not.
OK.... i fail to see how if a guitar has a plain top instead of a flame or quilted one it would sound better. it would look less badass, yes, but soun d better: no
No I don't want to play your guitar... I might light it on fire.
^Don't go spewing dumbassity, now, it doesn't suit you.

The plain-top is made out of pure mahogny, while the standard is made out of mahogny AND alder. Unless you want a much brighter sound (Sounds less like a real les paul), plain-top is the way to go. The reason for why its cheaper, is of course, its looks. If you want a good-sounding guitar at a low price, though, get the plain-top

Of course, its all about what you like, but if you're getting a standard in the first place, you're better off with the plain-top