Can someone who has a rickenbacker 4003, or who has played it tell me how it is? Can you tell me how it is for finger style, and for slap pop. I saw one at my guitar center used for $1,099, and was wondering if it was worth it for that price.
First off, I would recommend you do NOT get that particular one, they sell new on musicainsfriend.com for 1,049.99. (I had to have the price emailed to me, but heres a link to the page anyways link )

Secondly, I haven't managed to get my hands on one yet, but from what I've heard they do well for fingerstyle, but slap and pop is usually up to the person playing it. Most people can't do well with them, but every now and then someone comes along who can slap just fine on it. Try it out for yourself if you can, see if it works for you.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Well ricks aren't meant to play slap on
the build is meant for fingerpicking and picking with a pick
but in saying that you can still slap and pop on it
poping might be a little trick due to the distance from the body to the strings
i'd think
i havent played one for the longest time... actually the last time i played one was when i was getting my first bass 3 years ago... i liked the look but the price... whoa! too much for me.. i settled with my $314 bass and that was that... then 2.5 years later i bought my stingray... suddenly that ricks price didnt look too bad lol
but i liked the sound of the stingray at the time better.. because i was into funk more so... but now i want to get either a $$ vette or a rick for finger/picking but thats gonna be into the future... ill probably end up buying the rick because i like the sound (as of now) compared to the warwick (even though its got a NICE growl!) but the thing you hafta watch out about the ricks is the power of their out put... I heard some guys comparing a rick and a ray and i remember that the output power isnt as strong... but still sounds nice if you got a powerful amp or not... just being able to hear it over the rest of our band like we all have with our bands eh? lol

so yea...
thats my "rant" if you will on the ricks
id call it more "reminising"
MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

www.myspace.com/thedeathbynumbers
They are unique instruments, not really meant for slap, but it can be done. Les Claypool owns a Ric. Also Roger Beam from Throwing Ashes plays a 70's Ric.
Quote by Fett13
First off, I would recommend you do NOT get that particular one, they sell new on musicainsfriend.com for 1,049.99. (I had to have the price emailed to me, but heres a link to the page anyways link )

Secondly, I haven't managed to get my hands on one yet, but from what I've heard they do well for fingerstyle, but slap and pop is usually up to the person playing it. Most people can't do well with them, but every now and then someone comes along who can slap just fine on it. Try it out for yourself if you can, see if it works for you.

the price emailed to me was $1,299.99
really? i like my price better. that's weird though, I just had it email, I still have the email too, it says $1,049.99...........odd.........

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
really? i like my price better. that's weird though, I just had it email, I still have the email too, it says $1,049.99...........odd.........

the advertisment in their magazine also has a different list then the price sent to me. i was given the same price as bumper. they need to get their stuff together.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Rickys have a 33.5 scale, so it's a bit shorter stubbier neck and it's kinda thin but chunky. Super for finger and pick playing.
haha
Quote by Fett13

it is talking about the current price for it because i asked for the price and it sent me 1,299.99
so check the date of your email the price i'm guessing is constantly bouncing up and down based on demand
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
the date on my email is less a week ago. maybe i got it just before they changed the price. who knows

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Bumper
They are unique instruments, not really meant for slap, but it can be done. Les Claypool owns a Ric. Also Roger Beam from Throwing Ashes plays a 70's Ric.

Hell yeah I do!, I got mine from *cough* GC *cough* and I was told the guy that traded it in came back to pick it back up, and shortly started crying when he found out it was sold....also an employee wanted it BAD, and totally got pissed at me for buying it. hah...good times. anyhow...mines a classic 70s soooo its obviously going to have some problems, i've got a nice dead spot between 9 and 12 on the G string...but overall a wonderful and comfortable bass, although rather heavy. if you like playing/carrying TEXAS, you'll like playing a Ric.

Now for the part I'll probobly get some flak for...I've got my Ric all re-wired and customized to fit my tastes, most Ric enthusiasts would gut me for that. for instance I had all of the wiring re-done and upgraded with heaver gauges and resistors and all of that. Also I put in the SeymorDuncan Rickenbacker Humbuckers which made it rediculously bright, punchy, and LOUD. It's got a wonderful sound and I very much love my basses, but when I need to push the 'sexy' factor...I always reach for the Rickenbacker.

As always I would say try one out first, the same with any instrument. a new bass can help or hinder you.

So....im at work and probobly shouldnt be on here.

Bassy love,
~Roger

EDIT- btw thats a 1971 4001
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
Last edited by RogerBeam at Aug 10, 2006,
Quote by Bumper
^I would so give you some gay sex for your bass.

yeah, and dont forget about the booze. my singer wants to drill a hole in it, and yeah...do...things...to it.

Rics are sexy.
thats my professional opinion.
~Roger
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG

BASSES
^So you're gonna booze me up, and then have gay sex with me......and then I can get that bass. It actually sounds almost worth it. Honestly dude, you should stab your singer for even thinking about that!
Quote by Bumper
^So you're gonna booze me up, and then have gay sex with me......and then I can get that bass. It actually sounds almost worth it. Honestly dude, you should stab your singer for even thinking about that!

haha.
for everyone else out there...I dig chicks...for Bumper...I dig you bro.

im sure he wouldnt, plus hes got a wife...so he can just call her.. "ricky" and dream.

Tell ya what, If we ever tour Kentucky, I'll be SURE to get ahold of you, and you can play it...I'll even get you in the show for free. then we can NOT have gay sex. but im sure we'll all get trashed. bwahaha.

*cough* straight *cough*...

~Roger
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG

BASSES
The Rickenbacker 4003 is the bass I have had my eyes on for some time and once I actually find one it shall be mine... oh yes it shall be mine (drool)

anyways RogerBeam how could you! re-wire a RIC I would have thought they were perfect just as they are... for shame
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by RIC4003
The Rickenbacker 4003 is the bass I have had my eyes on for some time and once I actually find one it shall be mine... oh yes it shall be mine (drool)

anyways RogerBeam how could you! re-wire a RIC I would have thought they were perfect just as they are... for shame

SEE! *duck* *dodge*

~Roger
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG

BASSES
Quote by RogerBeam
haha.
for everyone else out there...I dig chicks...for Bumper...I dig you bro.

im sure he wouldnt, plus hes got a wife...so he can just call her.. "ricky" and dream.

Tell ya what, If we ever tour Kentucky, I'll be SURE to get ahold of you, and you can play it...I'll even get you in the show for free. then we can NOT have gay sex. but im sure we'll all get trashed. bwahaha.

*cough* straight *cough*...

~Roger

Hey man, if you tour Ky then our bands could play a show together. Check us out, the links in my sig.
Quote by RogerBeam
SEE! *duck* *dodge*

~Roger

lol oh yeah you gotta look out for us RIC enthusiasts we are hiding all over the place
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Where do you live in Kentucky because I live in Evansville, Indiana right by Kentucky if you've ever heard of the place.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O