I need help finding the right pickups for my Squier strat with 3 single coils.

I play pop punk (blink 182) and alternative (third eye blind, red hot chili peppers, etc.)

Im saving up for a Fender FM 212R for my amp.
Honestly, a Squier Strat isn't worth the new pickups. Trust me, I own one, and the money is better spent on a new guitar.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Honestly, a Squier Strat isn't worth the new pickups. Trust me, I own one, and the money is better spent on a new guitar.

Honestly, this guy probably doesn't know what he's talking about. You need a decent amp to appreciate the pickup change, since the amp makes the most drastic difference in your tone. Just because it's a Squier doesn't mean it's automatically bad. Actually, a lot of people around here have fun modding Squiers and lower end Fenders because it's so simple and with an inexpensive guitar, you're not out a whole lot if you screw up. You should really wait to get your amp first before doing a pickup swap because what you might like now might change with the new amp. It also sounds like you're going to need a couple different types of pickups to get that range of sounds, but sometimes trying an "everything Strat" is more of a pain in the ass than its worth. I tried it with a Squier Strat 10 years ago and more recently an American Strat.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 19, 2006,
I wouldn't spend a couple hundred bucks on pickups for a Squier when that would get you a bit better guitar. However...check out the GFS hot alnico staggered pickups from Guitarfetish.com. Something like $55 for all three. I put those in a G&L tribute strat and make it sound 10x better.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
You could put the money together with the amp savings, and buy a nice valve combo, then you'll definately get good sounds of your Squier, and you can always upgrade pickups in the future.
Overall, a better amp is more important.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i still have my squier (first guitar) and play it occasionally through my twin.
It sounds pretty decent actually. Just goes to show that money is better spent on an amp than a guitar.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
swap out the bridge for a humbucker and buy a better amp than the 212.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
what's ur amp budget like?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if im spending up to 400 do you think it would be a lot better to save more and get a half stack for 500?
Yes, all I saw was $400 budget, an I thought my amp(I had the same budget) If you can get the half stack I say go for it,
hey man you listenin 2 angels and airwaves 2 im off to their concert in chicago in 9 days
DO NOT... AND I REPEAT DO NOT, GET A MARSHALL MG!!!

please...
it's not worth it
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ listen to this man!!!!!! ^

Quote by Spade1

NO!!!!!! just because something says marshall on it doesnt mean its good, okay n00b? the mgs are some of the worst solid state amps ever, a half stack is not much better than a combo, they both have ups and downs, look at a fender blues junior, its 15 watts tube and if you can get an ibanez tubescreamer ts-9 it will be good for you and close to your budget (especially if you look used)
Quote by Teleprompters
^ listen to this man!!!!!! ^

YAY!!! somebody finally agreed with me!!!
But seriously, don't get it...

EDIT: unless if you enjoy the buzzing of bees inside a box
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
YAY!!! somebody finally agreed with me!!!
But seriously, don't get it...

EDIT: unless if you enjoy the buzzing of bees inside a box

^lol^ its not that bad, as long as you know how to put the settings, Plus its just like a step to a better amp anyway,

Quote by ACDC4Life
hey man you listenin 2 angels and airwaves 2 im off to their concert in chicago in 9 days
Yeah there cool, dude Let me know how the concert was,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 22, 2006,
personally i hate the sound of single coils, so id probably put some type of humbucker. i saw this bullet strat at some place with n emg in it, the strings were rusty but it was awesome... u should invest on a new bridge or tuning machines too but dont spend more then like 120 bucks cause if u do ur beter off buying a new guitar
Quote by Spade1
^lol^ its not that bad, as long as you know how to put the settings, Plus its just like a step to a better amp anyway

no, they are just pretty bad in general, you are in denial that you got tricked into get a crappy marshall and it would pretty much be a downgrade coming from almost any amp, look at small tube combos, you will be happy you went tube when you do
^Listen to the dude here... he knows his stuff

To TS: get a Vox Valvetronix instead, it's perfect for your needs
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Spade1
^lol^ its not that bad, as long as you know how to put the settings, Plus its just like a step to a better amp anyway,

ah, you found the off switch then. that's by far and away the BEST setting for an MG.

And why get a step to a better amp when YOU CAN ALREADY GET A GOOD AMP for that price?

get a blues junior, peavey valveking or classic 30 (if you can afford the classic 30), something along those lines.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
God Just trying to help, I'm sick of ppl Going on and on about one thing just to make another person feel bad, FINE do anything BUT get that amp, Get something BETTER, And he said he had a $400 hundred doller Budget, I was just trying to help,

Plus he said why get that when he could get a half stack, he didn't say a marshall MG half stack I Thought he meant a better amp all together,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 22, 2006,
^ i'm not trying to make you feel bad. I apologise if you thought that's what I was trying to do. But if someone gives what I consider poor advice, I'm gonna call them on it.

if the MG was $100, then maybe. but not at $400, in my opinion, when you can get a blues junior for that (heck, the blues junior is pretty nice, and here it goes for the equivalent of about $600! if i got those USA prices...)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
^Listen to the dude here... he knows his stuff

To TS: get a Vox Valvetronix instead, it's perfect for your needs

Thats the one I'm getting in a few months, you shood go for it to,

I did give pore advise I SEE THAT NOW!!, and yes the sound isn't as good as better amps, the distortion is a little Crackly, but after having it a wile you get numbed to it, Its good for practice, but thats about it, go for a vox, Plus I forgot you had a strat, not the best amps for strats,

there are 7 post on how I was wrong And my amp is crap, Can we let it go and get back to helping this guy,
You were wrong and your amp is crap. Ok, now we can let it go.

I'm just busting your balls.

But yeah, that's true.
Hi, I'm Peter