Alrighty, so here's the deal. I want to get a pick up. I'm told there are two different types.

One type is the type you pop into the hole of the guitar. You just let it sit in there, and you can plug it into any sorta amp you'd like. The 2nd they build into the bridge, and you have to hook it up to the acoustic amp specifically.

What I'm curious about is, with either of these two pick ups, can you get an electric type sound out of the guitar? Being able to get my acoustic sounding like say, the guitar in Hanging by A Moment by Lifehouse, or something like that would be pretty nice.

Anyone know which (if either) type of pick up will give me the sound I want?
Quote by Metatron
Alrighty, so here's the deal. I want to get a pick up. I'm told there are two different types.

One type is the type you pop into the hole of the guitar. You just let it sit in there, and you can plug it into any sorta amp you'd like. The 2nd they build into the bridge, and you have to hook it up to the acoustic amp specifically.

What I'm curious about is, with either of these two pick ups, can you get an electric type sound out of the guitar? Being able to get my acoustic sounding like say, the guitar in Hanging by A Moment by Lifehouse, or something like that would be pretty nice.

Anyone know which (if either) type of pick up will give me the sound I want?

First off, Shadow acoustic pickups are great as well as Fishman (i think that is right) who are better but more expensive.

You can get pickups that are essentailly simgle coil pickups that go accross the soundhole, however this would not be suitablel for a classical guitar as it wouldn't work. If you wanted this for a classical then you would have to get an in hole one like a Shadow SHEC22. They will more likely enable you to replecate sounds similar to tthat of an electric guitar, but will still keep some of the tone of your acoustic.

Be aware that some pickups will require a preamp, like the Transducers (undersadle) pickups you decribed before, be aware that with one of these under the bridge the action of your guitar will rise sligtly, in perticular with a Martin thinline or something of that type.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
There are actually 3 types. Your magnetic soundhole pickups, the undersaddle pickup, and the soundboard pickup. The magnetic sounhole pickups are similar to an electric guitar pickup. They give the least "acoustic" tone but on the plus side they have the least feedback problems. The undersaddle transducer pickups sence the changes in pressure under the saddle when the string vibrates. These pickups sound more acoustic that magnetic soundhole pickups but they also feed back a bit more. The 3rd type is the sound board transducer or Bridge plate transducer (depending on who you buy it from) and this pickup sound a lot like an internal mic. It gives you the most acoustic sound but it also has the biggest issues with feedback. My favorite brands of acoustic pickups are B-band and LR Baggs. I think they sound better than fishman pickups (altho that is a matter of personal taste) and I like the fact that a lot of the LR Baggs and B-Band pickups have the onboard controlls inside the soundhole so that you don't have to cut a big hole in the side of your guitar. If you want to have the big hole in the side of your guitar then LR Baggs and B-Band give you that option as well.
Not taking any online orders.