i am buying a guitar sometime soon, and i am thinking about having either a seymour duncan Dave Mustaine livewire active pup set, or an EMG 81/85 combo. please tell me which is better for afi, atreyu, avenged sevenfold, from first to last, and some metal here and there like cradle of filth and children of bodom, but mostly the first four bands. thanks
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
you don't own a guitar.... so do you know how to play guitar at least
Getting pulled over:
Cop: Anything to drink tonight
Me: Yeah I'll have a rum and coke
yes...
i do...
i am buying a NEW one...
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
emgs are probally better for the first four or a duncan jb. Once you get into the duncan invaders and such you get into the heavy stuff.
i am also looking at buying a new amp, too, because my amp totally blows, but for a little 15, it is decent
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
k, ill look
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Seymour duncan SH-8 invader would sound better with the bands your chosing...

The 81-85 is pretty decent aswell...
ESP Horizon FM Standard
Spider II line 6 30 watt
Uber Metal - line 6 effect
Synyster uses Invaders by Duncan in most of his custom guitars. I have the EMG's and they are nasty(in a good way)
Go get your shovel.
Quote by SynGates7X
Synyster uses Invaders by Duncan in most of his custom guitars. I have the EMG's and they are nasty(in a good way)

A significant amount of Synyster's tone also comes from his Uberschall.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
A significant amount of Synyster's tone also comes from his Uberschall.

yes it does, i was just pointing out that he uses Duncan Invaders in most of his guitars
Go get your shovel.
In answer to your question, Duncans. But in suggestion, new pickups should be near the end of your list unless you already have a good guitar, good amp and good effects.
Invaders are, well, an acquired taste. I don't like their tone but plenty of people do. I'd go with EMG 81/60 of those options.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
i would say, of the two choices, the emg's are probably a better choice for what you want to play. although i think afi will sound better with the duncans.

also the invaders are a good suggestion too. my first guitar that i bought was a $200 olp mm-1, and it was ok. then i put an invader in the bridge and it took it to a whole new level. it didn't even compare to how it was before i put the invader in.
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
Quote by SynGates7X
yes it does, i was just pointing out that he uses Duncan Invaders in most of his guitars

Fair enough
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Go with EMGs. They're pretty good pickups. The Invader isn't a bad choice either, but it's a little muddy clean, where as the EMGs sound "glassy."
My Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Washburn X50PROFE
Crate FXT120
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Line 6 Gear Box (for recording)

My Music