with the encouragement of dorkusmalorkus, here's my report from bonnaroo. sorry if i ramble, i'll try to keep it short and just mention the acts i saw up close.

friday, i started out with devotchka, who i've seen play a few times before and the short set they played at the sonic stage was as good as any other. they played a few new songs and the usual cover of venus in furs.

later i caught devendra banhart also at the sonic stage. he was great, and so careless. he played mainly covers and i was able to get a video of a lauryn hill/charles manson cover.
the next day i got to the main gate around 8am so i could be close for radiohead who went on at 8:30pm. there were already about 50 people waiting so i went to the second gate on the side that not too many people knew about. the gates were set to open at 11am, but around 11:10 when they hadn't, the hundreds of people waiting pushed down the barricade and charged for the stage. i didn't have shoes so i couldn't run too fast, but i got just behind the people that were up against the barricade for the stage. i stood in the field for another 9 hours with no food or water, and definitely no using the bathroom.

around 3, elvis costello started to play. i thought i would enjoy it, but it's obvious that he's past his prime, and his performance didn't impress me at all.

beck took the stage around 5:30, and though i can only claim to be a casual beck fan, i really got into it. he had marionette puppets of the band at the back of the stage, which is what the large screens mainly projected. half way through his act, he had a short film of the puppets walking around at bonnaroo, which made fun of the hippie culture there. i couldn't stop laughing.
video of beck doing a quick cover of creep
video of beck in a bear suit
about a minute long video of a song

as the minutes passed before radiohead, the crowd got really intense. i've never seen so many people excited for a band. nor have i ever seen so many people. about half an hour to go before radiohead started, the man next to me started yelling into the crowd about how much he loved his girlfriend, and then he got down on his knee and proposed. the crowd yelled so loud that radiohead's sound guys stopped to make sure everything was ok.

finally radiohead took the stage and opened with there there. they played 28 songs and it lasted about 2 ½ hours. They played a few new tunes with not many surprises, though i was happy to see that like spinning plates made it into the set.

overall thom was in a really great mood, even at the end when people were throwing glow sticks at him, he was laughing and dodging them. he did throw a small fit when there were sound problems during the bends. and for the life of me, i can not remember which song it was, but jonny broke out the bow.

video of arpeggi
video of street spirit
video of the paranoid android solo
video clip of 2+2=5
one minute video of there there

at the end of the night, i wanted to catch the dresden doll's set, but after radiohead, i just didn't have it in me. plus i've seen them two or three times before, so i figured it wouldn't hurt. i did hear they were amazing.
Last edited by starsnostars at Jun 20, 2006,
the next day, i was going to catch matisyahu and andrew bird on the sonic stage, but i saw people were already staking out a spot for malkmus and sonic youth, so i did the same. i had to watch be your own pet, which i thought were horrible. the singer must have clocked in hours of watching yeah yeah yeahs tapes, because her whole stage act was nothing but a karen o rip off. but what really ticked me off about them was when the guitarist leaped into the crowd, on top of me, and hitting me in the head with his guitar. also the vocals weren't loud enough, which plagued every band on that stage that day.

the next band was deadboy and the elephantmen who only really seemed to get cheers when the crowd noticed stephen malkmus off to the side of the stage or when they closed with a pixes cover.

stephen malkmus' set was everything i thought it would be. he played a few new songs, but no pavement as the whole crowd was anticipating. also seeing the jicks live has made my crush on joanna bolme grow about 10 times more.
video of it kills
video of a new song

as sonic youth started, i picked a fight with a few photographers, mainly the guy that was recording for the webcast. i told him i didn't mind him standing in front of me for a few minutes, but he started to do it for several songs at a time. the next time he tried to sit up on the barricade, i didn't move. he pushed me and i pushed back and after a small bicker, he left me alone. so sorry to anyone who was watching the webcast.

i don't even know how to start in describing sonic youth, they completely stole the show, even from malkmus. thurston was nuts at times rubbing his guitar on anything he could and swinging it in circles. on rats, thurston and mark ibold switched bass and guitar. they played mainly stuff from the new album until the encore, which mark left the stage for. i put away my camera thinking that if anything else was going to happen, it would have by now. after the song was over, they quickly switched instruments and mark came back on stage with malkmus. i didn't have much memory left on my camera, but i got what i could

video of incinerate
video of malkmus on stage
Last edited by starsnostars at Jun 20, 2006,
Wow, nice summary. Damn, I went to the front gate of Bonnaroo trying to sneak over a spot in the fence, but I couldn't get through. Oh well, looks like it was awesome, hope to go next year.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
You are awsome. It sounds like it was a blast. I wish I could have gone. But I'm glad we had your coverage of the whole thing. Thanks for all the videos and pics!
sounds like you had a lot of fun

im so jealous that you went to see radiohead!
I still think the lead man of Devotchka looks like George Clooney.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by y2james2005
im thinking that radiohead song was 'pyramid song'

i think so too. i remember it was off amnesiac and near the end of the set.
Awww, be nice to Elvis Costello would ya?

Looks like a good time. I can never make it to any of these festivals. Sometimes I think the kids in Be Your Own Pet would do well with a good beating, though. They seem a bit too cocky for their own good.
Quote by slinks
Awww, be nice to Elvis Costello would ya?

Looks like a good time. I can never make it to any of these festivals. Sometimes I think the kids in Be Your Own Pet would do well with a good beating, though. They seem a bit too cocky for their own good.

i didn't mean to put him down. he did good really good considering the whole front audience was dehydrated and only there for radiohead. i guess it's just not what everyone wanted to hear right then.

i completely agree about be your own pet. if cockiness was an indication for talent, they would have been the best band there.
****, I didn't take any pictures. I thought Mute Math were awesome. We hung out by the Sonic Village a lot of the time, then of course saw the big ticket items like Beck and Radiohead. It was my first time I've been to Bonnaroo and I'm definitely going again. I had to miss most of sunday which unfortunately included Sonic Youth and Moe..

I'll never forget hearing Radiohead's "Lucky" for the first time live, I had chills everywhere.
"Great music completely obliterates any conceptions of genre"

Recordnerd
beck in that bear custom was hillarious!
sonic youth sounded great.. damn

who's mark ibold?. is lee sick or something?
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Last edited by sponj at Jun 20, 2006,
Quote by sponj
beck in that bear custom was hillarious!
sonic youth sounded great.. damn

who's mark ibold?. is lee sick or something?

This is why you didn't win *****

He is the bassist for Pavement/Free Kitten and he is touring with SY to play bass. They needed somebody to play bass for some songs because Jim O'Rourke left.
Dang, im sad i missed it, my sister went this year and said it was awesome. Maybe i'll get tickets next year.
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
they have songs with two basses.. nice I didn't notice it on the cd.

lee wasn't on any of those pics so i though he was replacing him
Hey, thanks so much for such great coverage of an amazing festival. The Radiohead stuff was great, I wish I could've been there, and it's nice to see Thom content with playing, as it's sort of 50/50 with him somtimes.

Again, thanks for such an in depth post on something so unique in music these days.
Listen to my music here
Quote by seljer
is that a theremin?

Yep.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^kinda. with a pure theremin the movement of your hand changes the amplitude of a tone, but often theremins are used in other ways to do other things, but yeah, i guess its kinda close to a synth that you control with the movement of your hand...

also, this looks like it was really really fun. i am jealous.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by sponj
they have songs with two basses.. nice I didn't notice it on the cd.

lee wasn't on any of those pics so i though he was replacing him

I think some songs have two basses, I'm not sure which. But either way Mark Ibold is there to help with Nurse/Murray Street songs, as well as let Kim dance around and not play a bass while she sings.
there's a pic with bot of them with basses that's why i said it, anyway someone needed to replace jim
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
as well as let Kim dance around and not play a bass while she sings.

that part was great. both kim and thurston worked the stage, they were amazing to watch even when they weren't playing.
The whole fest was amazing....I wish I coulda got as close to the stage as you did, but it looks like you missed a lot of good shows. The only part of the thing that made me mad was that SY was supposed to do a signing, but I guess the bus broke down so they weren't there when they were planning on it. But, that was made up for when the next day I met The Raconteurs at the airport, so yeah.
Bands I caught:
thursday- Matt Costa, I-Nine, The Cat Empire, Devotchka

friday- robinella, ben folds, bright eyes (who were amazing, unfortunetely I felt like I was gonna pass out so I got outta there), devendra banhart, oysterhead, cat power, tom petty, my morning jacket, umphrey's, common

saturday- the magic numbers, clap your hands say yeah, elvis costello, beck, radiohead

sunday- be your own pet, deadboy and the elephantmen, stephen malkmus and the jicks, the streets, sonic youth, phil lesh

I might put some pictures up that me and my friend took...a lot are by him since my parents got all angry when I started to pack my digital camera. I put it down and then they hid it on me.
^ i saw a lot more, many of the same that you did. those were just the ones i was close for or really enjoyed. i probably ran into you more than once. i heard about the signing, i didn't bother because i figured there would be tons of people.

post some picture if you can, i'd really like to see them
Quote by starsnostars

post some picture if you can, i'd really like to see them

Make your own thread if you want

But yeah, post some pictures...