I dont quite understand what your supposed to do with them, besides practise them. What are they used for? I'm guessing something to do with melody.
I haven't practised these much....but I think, apart from giving your fingers more variety to work thru, they (if practiced slowly, and focused on) they give you possible SOUND "options" u know? They allow you to hear the possibilities of the chosen scale...
"DiSuSe"
Neato. I was planning on spending my next week learning all 112 bars of the melodic patterns on this one website. I play about 12 hours a day. Im not in school since its summer, and I dont have a job lol. So yeah im made son.
Jesus Vader.
Quote by Jesus Zombie
Neato. I was planning on spending my next week learning all 112 bars of the melodic patterns on this one website. I play about 12 hours a day. Im not in school since its summer, and I dont have a job lol. So yeah im made son.

hahaha, yeah...I have the same 112 bars....from Zentao, yeah?
I've had them printed and in a folder for ages....but ****ing IB never gave me time to try 'em out.....I will now....THANK GOD FOR SUMMER!
"DiSuSe"
The musical term for them is sequences. Without sequences, about half of all music is suddenly gone
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
what is melodic pattern?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
So is this all that they are used for? Also is it worth learning all the sequences of it?
Jesus Vader.
Just use your imagination when (=if) using them! The possibilities are infinite.. You could chain different sequences together. Repeat them with different notes etc..

And yes, it is worth it learning all the sequences.
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Yey...! I guess. Sorry im kind of new to scales and how there used, same with this as well. So you can just combine the different sequences? Or is there some method behind it, the website does not explain much. Yeah dude... go ahead a call me a noob . I know you want too.
Jesus Vader.
No, I don't want to call you a noob. I'm actually pretty laidback about explaining things and I think it's a good thing you want to learn

Anyway, do you understand how the major scale is formed? If not, search the lessons here If yes, read on.

See this? This is in Cmajor and you see the pattern go like C E D F E G F A. So instead of learning it like that, learn it as 1 3 2 4 3 5 4 6, or basically 1 3 - 2 4 - 3 5 - 4 6. See what I mean? The pattern keeps repeating itself and you've got to see the similarities to understand it. Please note, that if you want to keep this pattern while going downward.. DON'T go 6 4 - 5 3 etc. That is a different pattern. I'm not saying it wouldn't sound good or whatever.. I'm just saying it's a different pattern. If you wish to keep the same pattern: Go 4 6 - 3 5 etc.

Anyway, let's call that pattern a. If starting on the root note, we'll call it a1. When starting on the second note, we'll call it a2 etc. Still following me?

So, what can we do with that? Basic would be a1-a2-a3-a4, meaning you just go up a step at a time. Also, try a1-a2-a3-a1-a2-a3-a4-a2. See it? Also, I tend to use a1-a2-a3-a2 (repeat) a lot

If you've got other patterns like this (I'll call it pattern b) you can go like a1-b1-a2-b2 or a1-b2-a3-b4 etc. Does this make sense to you?

Also, I like to use patterns within patterns I don't really know how to explain it, but ehm.. Let's call one of the previously mentioned patterns something new! a1-a2-a3-a1 will be called A1 now (capital A). A2 will then be a2-a3-a4-a2. A3 will be a3-a4-a5-a3. So on, so on

You can then arrange the capitals in the same way.. A1-A2-A3-A1 etc. You can create really fun things with this and I hope I explained it well enough.. A bit onorthodox, but perhaps someone else has a better method of explaining this? Anyway, if any questions, feel free to ask
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje