I'm coming to States for 6 weeks and I want to buy a Les Paul and a hardcase. Until now my options are :

Epiphone Les Paul Plus-Top - 499$
Epiphone Les Paul Plain-Top - 399$
And http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000prestthincsbf.html - but this one doesn't respect througly the shape of a Les Paul.

I want to play Guns , lots of Guns, hard rock mostly .

Thank you,
Andrei
Plain Top and Agile would be pretty much equal, IMO, and the plus top is a bit behind.
Can you give me some arguments too please ? Why is the Plain-Top better than the Plus-top ?
They're quite similar, only the Plus top has a maple top on an ALDER body (I think) which gives it a different, less les paul-like tone.

The plain top may be, well, plain looking, but it has a mahogany body for tone as thick as pig****.
Well actually the plus-top has a full Mahogany body too(or at least on music 123 that's what they say) . What do you think about the Les Paul Ultra ?
^Not according to Epiphone.com it doesn't.

The LP Ultra is great, but it's chambered. If that's what you want, fine, but it'll sound different.
I'm looking for a Slash sound ( i'm a freak I know ) should I get the Ultra or the Plain-Top ?
Quote by wylde_overdrive
... haha

ever played one? With a decent setup it's probably one of the best sub-£175 guitars out there.
Quote by Aidy Damage
ever played one? With a decent setup it's probably one of the best sub-£175 guitars out there.

Yes, but he said up to $500.

Does that site even tell you what it's made of?
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Yes, but he said up to $500.

Does that site even tell you what it's made of?

Yeah, basswood.

As you've got that much to spend, go for the plaintop.
Ok so it's gonna be a Plain-Top. What should I buy for the extra 100$ ? ...I won't have money for an amplifier too soon..so I'll use the computer...
Quote by hix
Ok so it's gonna be a Plain-Top. What should I buy for the extra 100$ ? ...I won't have money for an amplifier too soon..so I'll use the computer...

Save the other $100. If you have to spend it while you're out there, get some spare cables, strings... basically stock up on spares for gigs. You never know when SOMETHING is going to crap out on you.
Would a behringer V-amp 2 be worth the money?
Last edited by hix at Jun 20, 2006,
Yeah what everyone else said.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive