from the descriptions i've read of these 2 amp qualities, isn't it just a matter of adjusting tone controlls?
It's a matter of an EQ pedal in the FX loop. That'll make a dark amp brighter, or a bright amp darker.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
It's a matter of an EQ pedal in the FX loop. That'll make a dark amp brighter, or a bright amp darker.

can you give a little more info. i'm curious. how does an eq pedal do what tone controls on an amp cannot (say an amp with t.m.b knobs and a 5-band eq)? does an eq pedal make a very big difference?

what's the difference between an eq going to the input and the fx loop?
Quote by sethp
can you give a little more info. i'm curious. how does an eq pedal do what tone controls on an amp cannot (say an amp with t.m.b knobs and a 5-band eq)? does an eq pedal make a very big difference?

what's the difference between an eq going to the input and the fx loop?

the tone controls on the amp are an equaliser. an equaliser pedal will tend to have more sliders thereby giving you more control over the range of frequencies.

the fx loop is after the preamp, before the reverb and power amp.
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
what do you mean whn you say one amp is dark and one is light?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Dark amps have strong low mids and bass
Bright amps have strong high mids and treble, and tend to cut through the mix better.
Quote by marvelboy_04
what do you mean whn you say one amp is dark and one is light?

one amp has more treble than the other? that's my guess, but i'm not sure