alright...im new to guitars...started this past october. i know that ibanez, gibson, and fender guitars are good though.

but what about a hummingbird acoustic?

ok, i bought it off of ebay for 1.99 and 32 dollar shipping. I figure if it was crap, its not like i waisted that much money on it. its my first acoustic...i started on an electric and taught myself all i know. so, i come here seeking more information about guitars that i couldnt teach myself. is my purchase a major rip off?

the whole package comes with the guitar, a case, extra strings (good ones), a tuner, picks, and the guitar...its a 38" brand new guitar too.

i didnt think it was bad, but im not too bright with guitars yet. i just play them as of now.
You bought it from China didn't you

All that **** is fake

But I remember someone on this forum said they bought a strat on ebay from China that was an obvious fake but sounded decent

so maybe not?

It might sound alright but it's definantly not the 2 grand(somewhere around there) Gibson Hummingbird
Gibson SG Special Faded

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amp

Squier Acoustic starter pack
ok well first of all... fender, gibson, and ibanez do make great electric guitars... but we're talking about acoustic guitars now. BIG DIFFERENCE. while gibson does make some nice acoustic guitars, most of them are very expensive (i.e. the hummingbird). fender and ibanez are fairly well-known in the acoustic world for making cheap and inferior acoustics. brands with more reputable names for producing acoustic guitars include, but are not limited to: washburn, taylor, alvarez, takamine, breedlove, yamaha, and martin.

second, the gibson hummingbird guitars are several thousand dollars. i see TONS of eBay auctions for really really cheap imitations of very nice guitars. as someone else said, they are typically being sold out of china. this sounds like a perfect example of one of said auctions. considering what you paid for the guitar and all the included accessories, however, if the thing sounds even halfway decent... i'd say you may have gotten yourself a good beater guitar. i wouldn't rely solely on it to learn/practice playing acoustic, though. if you want a good quality acoustic to learn on you'll need to save up a bare minimum of $200.
Quote by Sundayhawthorne
You bought it from China didn't you

It wouldn't be Chinese with $32 shipping. It'd be more like $320.
Quote by fsb_ben
meh his first acoustic, it should be absolute crap anyway :-)

alot of people would agree with you on that... but personally i wouldn't reccomend buying a ridiculously cheap acoustic for your first guitar. i think that if you buy a guitar that you really really love you will be more apt to keep playing and improving. i think alot of people would be easily discouraged and give up playing if they tried to learn on a guitar that sounded terrible and wouldn't stay in tune, but that's just my opinion i guess.
My first electric I bought off of eBay, a strat knockoff, and it sounded decent. But then I bought a cheap acoustic off of eBay, and it's totally crap...painted fretboard, warped guitar neck, pretty much made out of plywood. There went a good 40 bucks.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
well, i looked at it on ebay and thought about it for a while...it seems like a decent one for my first acoustic even if it is a piece of crap.

i was just curious to see what all you guys would say, lol

i'll let you know how it was if you care, but i assume you dont.
umm... maybe it's an epiphone hummingbird, not gibson
If you're going to do something wrong, do it
right.
Quote by jimtaka
alot of people would agree with you on that... but personally i wouldn't reccomend buying a ridiculously cheap acoustic for your first guitar. i think that if you buy a guitar that you really really love you will be more apt to keep playing and improving. i think alot of people would be easily discouraged and give up playing if they tried to learn on a guitar that sounded terrible and wouldn't stay in tune, but that's just my opinion i guess.

Well if a ****ty acoustic can douse that desire that lies within, then they arent worthy of playing! And the flip side of that would be spending hundreds of $ on a guitar when they'll quit after a few months which sucks more than just spending $50.
It's very good that you are starting with a cheap instrument, because you will learn how to cope with the various problems you'll encounter with it.

And contrary to popular belief, cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad or low quality (example: Yamaha Pacifica)
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I bought the same cheap guitar off of ebay when i thought i wanted to play. I played it for about 2weeks and thought it was too hard and sold it. Then I went to school and got a lot better becuase my friends could help me. I then borrowed my friends Austin acoutic for a few months, and just bought a Yamaha FG700.

I would say that was a good buy if you are still a begginer, but if you are already experieneced somewhat and plan to keep playing, get a better one.
Quote by fsb_ben
Well if a ****ty acoustic can douse that desire that lies within, then they arent worthy of playing!

hahahaha

and to the threadstarter.... of course we care, lol. we wouldn't have responded at all if we didn't. let us know how you like it.