I'm 16 years old, female, and my dad has the biggest record collection I have ever seen and probably owns the whole of HMV. Throughout my young life I have listened to A LOT of old music including punk [The Who, The Clash, Sex Pistols]; indie [The Smiths, Pixies, Stone Roses]; grunge [Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins]; even blues [Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan]. Right, to set the record straight, when I say "old" music I mean music either before or towards the beginning of my lifetime that has not been presently released [with the exception of Pearl Jam who's new album is pretty cool I'd like to add].

So enough about me. The whole purpose of this article is to put across my opinion and view of how the majority of young people my age cannot understand how the lead singer/guitarist who may have been a heroin addict for his whole musical career then decides to end it with a shotgun to his head, cannot be a huge influence to other bands including themselves who aspire to be great rock stars. "But Rachel, just because he killed himself through drink and drugs doesn't mean he is 'rock n roll'." YES I KNOW it's not 'rock n roll' or 'cool' [although if you are a rock star you?ve got to go out of the world the way you've lived your life - I'm a strong believer of that I must admit] but anyway, that isn't why I like his music or why I admire his musical talents and achievements.

I once had a discussion with someone about the difference between Green Day and Nirvana. I said how I thought Kurt Cobain had achieved more musically than Billie Joe Armstrong and the boy I was talking to thought he misheard me. It made me laugh. Now, Green Day are one of my favourite bands, and unfortunately I'm one of those teenage girls who think Billie Joe is one of the hottest people on the planet. However, I can understand that he wrote some cool songs and twice as many albums as Nirvana had, but he will never be in the same song writing class as Kurt Cobain was. To put things in perspective, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is always in at least the Top 3 of any musical chart Kerrang or NME counts down: NME's Greatest Heroes of All Time - No1, Kerrang's Most Awesome Riffs - No1, VH1's Best Song Lyric Ever - No3. Green Day weren't in any of those countdowns. The point of this is to see how young people can't comprehend how "older" music can't be better than music around today.

"Emo" appears to be the new fashion at the moment. When I say fashion that?s what I mean, fashion. It isn?t about the music anymore; most emos claim they like My Chemical Romance and Panic! At The Disco, who wouldn?t ever be professionally classed as emo in a million years. So-called ?emo? bands like Bullet For My Valentine, Silverstein and A Static Lullaby seem to be taking over the world of rock and people seem to be blinded by this ?screamo? thing that comes out of the front man?s mouth [well it?s hardly singing is it]. Fair enough to like this, but at least appreciate the music that has come before and influenced the bands they like today. It?s annoying when some people turn their nose up at bands that aren?t around anymore when actually it?s likely they are going to like them even more than the bands around today, due to the fact these new bands have only reproduced the sound of what came previously. Why like Green Day and Blink 182 when the pop-punk they play has been influenced by older punk bands such as The Clash and The Ramones, but not like them?

Young people my age need to listen to older music. I think it is a disgrace that most people I know haven?t even heard of The Smiths. Well, they certainly need a lesson or three.

Please prove me wrong and say that there is other 16 year olds who like and appreciate older music, because lets face it, they totally rocked harder in the 60s and 70s than any of the 21st century ?I cry after a Hawthorne Heights album? emo kids do now.
I think you lost all your Nirvana argument when you said they were kerrang and NME's top band.
^ I agree with him. Nirvana is only popular with the masses because of the fact he killed himself and that he's a "hero". Let the guy die in peace.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
^ I agree with him. Nirvana is only popular with the masses because of the fact he killed himself and that he's a "hero". Let the guy die in peace.

He was popular before his death also, I believe that's what she's trying to say.

I understand what you're saying, the newer music would be nothing if it wasn't for the bands that came before it. I think we really should have more respect for all of the "older" music, whether or not we like it or not, because chances are, they were major influences on the bands we like today. However, this is more like a rant or a statement than a column. But I do agree with you.
I listen to alot of classic rock, ie. Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Kinks etc, as do a few of my friends. However many of my friends do not realise we should appreciate the roots of what they're listening to today.
Chances are, the people you're trying to reach aren't on UG and won't be reading it. Most of us will disagree with you on that last part since the majority of us are in the teen years (I'm 15) and do appreciate classic rock and other music before our time. It won't really have an effect here, but good concept.
curt cobain was one of the biggest influences on music ever. to bad he never had talent and we're stuck in a generation with bands like nirvana and pearl jam rather than motley crue or van halen.
^ Too bad there are tons of guitarists today who own EVH.

It's not the worst concept, but if you want kids to respect the past at least look things up. Out of the artists you listed as "blues", Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan are more folk if anything. Janis Joplin was blues influenced, but she's probably thought of more as a rock singer.
I am 16 and I agree with you almost totally. If you listen to older songs,you will understand the very own roots of rock and roll, an I think it matters. I listen to some older songs like Pearl Jam and Hendrix, Soundgarden, Nirvana. Althought I like Green Day, Nirvana have far more achieved than they did.

Quote by Voldragon
I think you lost all your Nirvana argument when you said they were kerrang and NME's top band.

Please don't quote Kerrang..they can really be a real pile of dung / th s word/.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

Quote by dudeman_andy
feed a pigeon bicarbonate of soda, let it swell up for a while. then feed it to the dogs and

BOOM head shot!

(pigeons explode after having bicarbonate of soda, they cant fart. stupid pigeons.)
who the hell would kill themselves and give up guitar like that,i mean....thats not what a guitar hero is like
Quote by rockon1824
He was popular before his death also,

The number of times I've said those words in my life....uncountable.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by rockon1824

I understand what you're saying, the newer music would be nothing if it wasn't for the bands that came before it. I think we really should have more respect for all of the "older" music, whether or not we like it or not, because chances are, they were major influences on the bands we like today. However, this is more like a rant or a statement than a column. But I do agree with you.

That's my usual argument when people "blame" someone specific for creating some type of music too, therefore I am agreed.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
I love listening to the artists who inspired great music. That's why my favourite genre right now is delta blues. (Robert Johnson, Son House, etc.)
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by Brendan1993
who the hell would kill themselves and give up guitar like that,i mean....thats not what a guitar hero is like

when music consumes your life and your not happy with it, you would want to find a way out of that feeling. thats what Kurt did, he ended his unhappiness on his own terms, the way he thought he should.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.