Hey.

Ive been playin for like 6 months or something but have grinded to a hault in learning lead guitar because when i play it always sounds the same. I want to know basically what you guys tend to come up with when playing lead. When im coming up with a lead part i will listen to the rythm guitar and hum a tune that goes with it then play it but its never as dynamic as i want it to be. So could you offer me some tips and show me some stuff you play to inspire me a little?
Had the same problem. What I did was instead of instinctively play, I thought about it. Thought what I could do differently to mix it up. I would think about moving the solo around the fretboard, pauses, double stops, going for a run on the bass strings, adding in a chord from out of nowhere and build off that, bending, hammer ons and pulloffs, sliding and blending scales together. Good luck.
Captain Sebastian Courtingale here to tell all you kiddies that ninjas never get any booty....arrr.
Learn some scales Minor Pentatonic and the Major scale and maybe melodic minor. Build up your speed. You can usually go to GC or a music store and buy a book of speed building execises and play with a metronome it will all help
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
never hum what you want because you will be humming quater steps and that requires verey precise bending and your mind and fingers will not instantly think of that
Quote by Sun of a Studio
Had the same problem. What I did was instead of instinctively play, I thought about it. Thought what I could do differently to mix it up. I would think about moving the solo around the fretboard, pauses, double stops, going for a run on the bass strings, adding in a chord from out of nowhere and build off that, bending, hammer ons and pulloffs, sliding and blending scales together. Good luck.

^This guy is right.

Think about it because your fingers won't change until your mind changes. Your fingers are so used to doing the same lick, so its hard for them not to do it because it just feels natural.

Some common things I do to mix up a solo is wide vibratos (SRV style), repeating the same little diddly (Buddy Guy style), big bends (Frusciante style), and also playing my favorite lick backwards. Hope that helps.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Yeah, if you're trying to play lead without knowing any scales, the very first thing
you should do is at least memorize the minor pentatonic scale -- preferably
in all 5 positions.

Then, you need to learn how to actually USE the scale when soloing.

I'd recommend starting with blues as it has a farily straightforward structure and
goes well with the pentatonic.

Then, get yourself a GOOD book on blues. I've heard Blues you can Use is good.
One I particularly like is "101 Blues Licks". That one may not be entirely suited
to someone with only 6 months on guitar, but it has 101 very short interesting
licks that are all annotated in tab with the scales used. You can learn a few to
give you some ideas and then start modifying them for your own creations.
try using appegios(????) thats what i did but it isnt that good so u could just ignore me
Quote by 98789
try using appegios(????) thats what i did but it isnt that good so u could just ignore me

Why isn't using arpeggios that good?
^ thats ****
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
Add differnet techniques to your playing, like

1.hammer on and pull offs
2. Pinch harmonics (I cant get enough of these!!)
3. Bends
4. Slides
5. fast alternate picking
6. (my personal favourite) Sweep picking

And try playing along to a metronome, it will help, it helped me.

!!!feel the funk blast!!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN
Hey again.

Yeh ive learnt the 5 shapes for the pentatonic scale major n minor and i know the blues scale aswel. Soloing is a big problem for me because of my inability to use all the fretboard correctly without making it all sound muddled up. Are most solo completely improvised?
Quote by Sadam
Are most solo completely improvised?

That is different for each style. In metal, most solo's are written out and being played the same (or at least a lot the same) everytime. In jazz, it's totally improvised. In classic rock, the solist has made a few guidelines for himselfs, to hit certain notes at one point or another. Note that these are NOT always the case, but I find them quite true a lot

Anyway, try learning a bit more theory. Apply it into your soloing. The most things I put in my solo's (which are all improvised, I'm a jazzer) are arpeggio's and sequences. Maybe search http://www.zentao.com/guitar/patterns (after learning the major scale that is) for some sequences you like. Also, search (on google or wherever) for:
- Arpeggio's
- Scale runs
- Scale exercises
- Sequences
- Melodic patterns

There's GOT to come up something you like!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by Johnljones7443
Try some melodic control a la Marty Friedman.

Learn theory so you don't get "lost". Learn scales around the fretboard so when you decide to start moving up the frets, you hit notes in the same key.

Something I like to do sometimes is take an out-of-key note and bend it so it is a note in the key.
Quote by Syn Harvest
Learn some scales Minor Pentatonic and the Major scale and maybe melodic minor. Build up your speed. You can usually go to GC or a music store and buy a book of speed building execises and play with a metronome it will all help

Horrible advice. Don't tell someone who needs help soloing to focus on increasing their speed. First off, you don't even know his musical tastes and what he plays. He could love David Gilmour's style for example. Why would he want to focus on speed if that were the case.

Less = More
Originally posted by josephde
i feel like an idiot, so plz don't flame me, but is hendrix still alive?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

Quote by hendrix513
Horrible advice. Don't tell someone who needs help soloing to focus on increasing their speed. First off, you don't even know his musical tastes and what he plays. He could love David Gilmour's style for example. Why would he want to focus on speed if that were the case.

Less = More

Let's bounce the question right back. Why wouldn't he NOT want to increase his speed? If he can play fast, he can play slow too! It opens up more abilities.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Speed isn't to important to me but i would like the option to do so. Im going to have a look around the internet and here for some lessons. I have a book specifically for lead guitar and have been through it many times but doesn't seem to click for me as in awwww thats the idea. Im definately more of a overdrive person and like bands like irom maiden and judas priest. I found one of the videos posted very helpful because i didn't know you could change key while soloing by imaging a chord sequence being played.
Quote by Syn Harvest

Yeah ditto. Learn scales and all the versions and you'll be able to come up with riffs and lead noodly bits in no time (as long as you practice). I suggest, if you're into rock, learn some minor blues scales.

Andy
Quote by elvenkindje
Let's bounce the question right back. Why wouldn't he NOT want to increase his speed? If he can play fast, he can play slow too! It opens up more abilities.

True, but there are so many more things that he can, and should, work on before even beginning to worry about speed. And even after mastering those other things, being able to play as fast as Vai or Malmsteen is not very important.
Originally posted by josephde
i feel like an idiot, so plz don't flame me, but is hendrix still alive?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

so working on playing clean would be one of those things before speed I would say.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2