OK here's the deal, right now I have a MIA Fender Strat and a Squire Master Series Esprit, I plan on selling the Esprit for about $300 since I boughtit for $400 and its brand new because right after I bought it I got the Strat as a gift. I was then wondering if this would be a good idea or plan and around how much labor would cost for some of this:
-Buy an Agile AL3000 or Epiphone Les Paul Plain-Top (which one?)
-Drop a Burstbucker 1 in the neck and a Burstbucker 2 in the bridge

Now here's my question I cannot solder or do any maintenance on guitars because I don't know how so I was wondering two things:

-Would that give me the Les Paul sound and look
-How much would it cost to have a guitar shop put the buckers in for me and set it up perfectly (ie. intonation, fretboard, trussrod)

Right now without labor its looking like a cost of around $600 and I was wondering about what do you think a guitar shop would charge for labor to do the rest.
Last edited by slugger21 at Jun 20, 2006,
If I were you, I would just buy the AL-3500 and not change out the pickups since Crunchmeister (spelling?) did a comparison between the pickups on the 3000 and a Gibby LP with Seymour Duncans and he said the Agile sounded a lot like that so the 3500's pickups are most likely a lot better. Just keep it stock.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
yeah, but I thought he had replaced the PUPS in the Agile on the review, I may be wrong, I was just wondering if with either the Agile or Epiphone if I swapped out the pickups with the real LP pickups (burstbuckers) would the sounds be really good and really close? Or would it still not have much tone or crunch
ok I'm going to rephrase this alittle bit....what are the best pickups to use for the Slash tone or Ted Nugent tone out of their LPs?
Quote by SGStrummer61
If I were you, I would just buy the AL-3500 and not change out the pickups since Crunchmeister (spelling?) did a comparison between the pickups on the 3000 and a Gibby LP with Seymour Duncans and he said the Agile sounded a lot like that so the 3500's pickups are most likely a lot better. Just keep it stock.

Not true, he's replaced the pickups in both of 'em with EMGs.

Anyway, I'd use something like a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro for Slash tones.
Actually, he only replaced the Agile with EMGs, but I was saying before he replaced the pups on the Agile, he was comparing it to a Les Paul Standard with SD 59s.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Can you get Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro nickle or chrome cover rather than gold?
^Yes, but id say go for Bareknuckle Mules (they will probalby get teh Slash tone easly). I myself doesn't like Duncans, i think they sound boring and lifeless.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It really depends on where he lives too, because if he is in America it will be much easier to get Alnico II Pro's then Barenuckles...
Right now what I think I'm going to do is get an Epiphone Les Paul Plain Top for about $400 then drop in the Alnico II Pro PUPS for about $300 which includes a guitar set up and installation. Think it will sound good or is that a good plan?
Last edited by slugger21 at Jun 20, 2006,
^Sounds great to me. Be sure to play around with the stock pickups for a few weeks before doing the pup change. You may just like the stock pups.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
how are the stock pups on an epi? Also for that kind of money even though I REALLY want heritage cherry burst should I go with this and get a real Gibson Les Paul? Only downfall is I don't know how the PUPs are in that one stock, I really am looking for the alnico's II pro
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-SL-Humbucker-Electric-Guitar?sku=517279

So now my dilema is that I woudl like to stay UNDER $700...Which would sound better in your guys' opinions and which one should I go for, The modded Epi or the stock Gibson
Quote by slugger21
how are the stock pups on an epi? Also for that kind of money even though I REALLY want heritage cherry burst should I go with this and get a real Gibson Les Paul? Only downfall is I don't know how the PUPs are in that one stock, I really am looking for the alnico's II pro
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-SL-Humbucker-Electric-Guitar?sku=517279

So now my dilema is that I woudl like to stay UNDER $700...Which would sound better in your guys' opinions and which one should I go for, The modded Epi or the stock Gibson

well if you want slash tone for under $700 do a modded epi.... but the stock gibson will sound WAY BETTER trust me gibson owner right here
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
well if you want slash tone for under $700 do a modded epi.... but the stock gibson will sound WAY BETTER trust me gibson owner right here

sound better in what sense? If I put better pups in a modded epi why whould that sound worse than a stock gib, they are both the same kind of wood
Under $700, go with the modded Plain Top. I think it comes in heritage cherry burst.

Over $700, go for an Epiphone Elitist. They're about $1000 and every bit as good as any non-custom shop Gibson. The pickups in them are Gibson's as well, although they use a different name.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by slugger21

DO NOT GET THAT GIBSON. It's a flat top, poorly built POS. It's wuite possible one of the worst models Gibson makes, and it won't sound ANYTHING like what you expect.