I recently read someone else's thread where they were asking for recommendations for a tube amp with the distortion for styles like Korn, Mudvayne, slayer, pantera, metallica, but also with cleans to be able to retain tone like Nothing else matters. I'm not copying his thread but I'm looking for essentially the same thing but my budget is about 1000-1200, about double of his. I've looked at the Peavey 6505 combo, various Mesas. Many people like the 6505's gain for heavy stuff but the clean leaves something to be desired and a chorus pedal is recommended to get better cleans. What exactly does a chorus pedal do, and if I bought one and used it with the 6505, would it achieve the cleans I am looking for, or would a Mesas provide both without needing a pedal?
The mesa could definately do the distortion and you could definately get a good clean sound. The chorus pedal is used on that song but it really doesnt have anything to do with how clean the sound is. I guess it would just ditract from a straight out bad clean sound.
i say go for a mesa. its just what your looking for
Unburnzing consists of 1 simple step:Unburnzing

Quote by yawn
Nice user name
Love live metal

Quote by J0NNYBRAV0
ive seen these before. one guy sold 2 air guitars, for $2 each or something. people are retarded, what can i say.
Quote by pierce34celtic
Could anyone list/ compare the Peavey 6505 combo, a Mesas Dual Recto, Single Recto, and another amp that can handle both heavy metal and some cleans?

I have owned a Mesa Rectoverb, Dual Rec, Dual Rec Tremoverb, and an F-50.

Any rectifier will be able to handle everything you are looking to do.

How BIG of an amp do you need? You can get a Single Rec or a Rectoverb for 900-1000 bucks. Tremoverbs go from 1000-1200 and Dual Rec's go from 1000-1300ish.

The single rec and rectoverb are 50 watts, the Tremoverb is a 100 watt amp but you can take 2 power tubes out and make it 50 watts for practice and the Dual Rec is 100 watts.

You wont need a chorus pedal with the Mesa clean. I would recommend a Rectoverb or Tremoverb because of the added reverb. A slight reverb on the Mesa clean channel really gives it another dimension that the Single and Dual Rec's dont have.

(Im actually downsizing and selling my Tremo if you check the forsale section if interested)
Last edited by philter25 at Jun 21, 2006,
well, if you saved up another $300 you could get a used powerball and carvin legacy 2x12.

which, imo, would pwn both set ups.

and i feel the 6505 pwns mesa. just more agressive sounding. and they're cleans both equaly suck and can be imroved with a chorus pedal. a chorus pedal takes your guitar signal, copies it, bends the copied signal slightly out of tune delays it a little bit. makes it sound like 2 instruments are playing kind of.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
How BIG of an amp do you need? You can get a Single Rec or a Rectoverb for 900-1000 bucks. Tremoverbs go from 1000-1200 and Dual Rec's go from 1000-1300ish.

Im using it for home use but also plan to start a band soon so loud enough to play over drums, bass etc. How's the Mesa's distortion compared to the Peavey, the Peavey is probably a little more on budget since if I bought a Mesa head i'd also have to buy a cabinent to go with it. Also would the powerball be even better than a mesa or a peavey and how much would that run for if I bought a used powerball and the the carvin cab?
30 watts tube is usually enough to get over drums. although i've gigged a blues jr. before.

the mesa's distortion will be low. lots of bass. a little more of a refined sound.

the peavey is voiced in the low mid so it'll have massive chunck while keeping a very full sound. it also sounds hella agressive.

powerball, imo, greatest amp ever. great cleans, does blues and classic rock (something the other two amps can't really say), and when i high gain mode, it iwll kill you, rape you, and eat your costume. it IS the juggernaught in amp form. it's voiced in the high mid so it'll sound really tight, cutting, and agressive. a used powerball, i've seen them run anywhere from $775-$1300. and legacy cabs go for $360 new. the legacy cab is like a mesa 2x12 on steriods. good highs, a full midrange, and bass that thumps you in the chest. good match with the powerball, imo.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I've heard good things bout the Peavey XXX with a Peavey 6505 cab...But that costs like....600 bucks more? lol But I bet its definatly worth it cause Peavey Pwns all. So yea.....thats my suggestion.

i own an XXX, and it doesn't quite stand up to a powerball kid.

and the 6505 cab is a peice. carvin legacy cab ftw.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565