Hey,

My band is finally taking step forwards and I throw myself at the mercy of UGers to ask for help.

We have an audition for a concert of 6000 people next tuesday, we only found out about the exact date recently and we have the great un-luck of our guitarist having to play in a state basketball game on that day.

We only have one short practice before this audition and we decided we'd have a better chance doing a decent cover than a poorly done original. So, my question to you is what possible songs could you throw at us to do for this audition, we are now limited to: a drummer, a bassist, and a keyboardist / singer.

I should probably add there is no way to reschedule the audition, the guitarist will not change his mind about the basketball game and that me (bassist) or out keyboardist / singer can do a novice level of guitar if needed.

Open to any suggestions...
umm, if you can jam like Medeski, Martin and Wood then you are good. But otherwise... good luck.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Change your keyboardist to guitarist and try finding the hardest song you can possibly do with what you have.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Anything By Bens Folds Five goes with that formula... Brick is an awesome song..
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
have your keyboardist play gutiar and sing and you guys do some easy 3 peice stuff...
Green Day- Brain strew
Blink 182- Dammit
Norman Greenbaum- Spirit in the Sky
Blink 182- Adam's Song

to name just a few
what kind of concert is it?

no point auditioning a pop punk song if you are gonna be playing at a gig full of metalheads or vise versa
Quote by quinny1089
what kind of concert is it?

no point auditioning a pop punk song if you are gonna be playing at a gig full of metalheads or vise versa

Well since they have a keyboardists, im guessing its somewhere along the lines of alternative/indie/pop rock, but you never know...
The Clash's 'Rock The Casbah' is a good one, you only really need a guitar to come in intermittently for the chorus and a little quiet widdle every now and again, while the keyboardist plays with some kind of piano setting. Meh. I'd assume you could do it while singing the chorus, or get the bassist and keyboardist to sing the chorus if you can't sing and play at the same time.
Quote by OldManAxe
Well since they have a keyboardists, im guessing its somewhere along the lines of alternative/indie/pop rock, but you never know...

theres tonnes of bands from different genres that have keyboardists
Do a Doors cover, and just tell the judges your situation, and why you are not doing guitar-heavy stuff.

But what genre do you need?
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
how about some death from above 1979, a drummer, a bassist and a keyboardist/singer
Thanks for the advice guys, our genre is everything from acoustic alternative through to heavy and classic rock. As far as I know there are about 35 bands auditioning for the 15 spots available... all these bands vary in styles.

We've decided to tell the judges our situation, and we're gonna try and get something worked out at the quick practice we have this weekend. Out of the 3 songs we were thinking maybe some Wolfmother, Pesident's of the USA version of "Video Killed the Radio Star" and still undecided on the 3rd.
KEANE,

new single is oddly boring. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~