my friend wants me to pshyc up his old acoustic guitar tomorrow. He says he has acrylic paints and wants me to use them. Is he an idiot? i dont know whether it will work but i am pretty sure it will peel right off again. What type of paint should i use?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
the tone will decrease significantly, if he cares anything about he gutiar dont' do it. If he doesn't, then use 400 grit scuff sadn the whole body. paint it, I'd also recommend an acrylic thinner to have less pronounced brushstrokes. Once it's dry tape up hte fret board and any holes and inlays, and spray your clear a couepl times, let it cure snad 400 tuntil its' flat, if o usnad through spray some more do that until yo udont' snad through. then put on a couepl more coats then snad and buff. Don't wet sand.
Anyways thats how I woudl do it if I had one or two days to do the guitar. Otherwise I'd recommend you just do it hte normal way we woudl do wiht guitars. But using something thats different from acrylic lacquers that duplicolor is made of. Maybe a nitrocellulose? But either way that acrylic thinner will help a lot.

Yeah, I'll put more in later, and make it clearer when I come abck.
Last edited by kaplac at Jun 20, 2006,
I don't know what kind of paint you should use, but ordinary acrylics will peel.
Some kind of model paint like Humbrol would be my guess but I wouldnt risk it.
its a pretty wrecked guitar, and he cant play at all, so were not bothered if it goes rubbishy, cos he can just put it in his room to look cool or something.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices