I currently use a USB headset to record, and it does fine for cleans but it mutilates my distorted tone. What could I use that would pick up the distorted tone without making it muddy and fuzzy?
Is there anything else I can use to record that would pick up distorted tone well? Any specific kinds of mics / recording devices?
Okay I get it now... I suggest either Fastrack USB pro from M-Audio or Jamlab, or either Toneport from Line6, they wont alter your tone.
Or buy a little firewire or usb recording interface plus an sm57 mic to record exactly what you hear from the amp.
Most mics probably wont record your sound very well onto the comp so you would want something where you can plug your guitar directly into the comp.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Quote by friendoftheend
Most mics probably wont record your sound very well onto the comp so you would want something where you can plug your guitar directly into the comp.

I disagree, like Muphin said, just a firewire interface with a SM57 to record your guitar will do the job, though it will cost you 2 or 3 times what fast track or jamlab would cost you.