I've been doing bends for a while, but now with some songs I've been trying to learn I'm a bit confused. I used to think I knew what pitch a full bend sounded like, but now with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/2, 2 and 2 1/2 bends I don't really know how far I should be bending. Is a 2 1/2 bend even possible without a pedal or something to do it?

Is a full bend the equivalent of 2 frets higher in pitch? If it is something simple like that I could probably figure it out. Otherwise, how high up the fretboard (towards my face) would I have to bend the high E to make 2 full bends? And is half the height of that the equivalent of 1 full bend, or does the pitch get exponentially higher as you bend the string higher?
Quote by ratmzep
I've been doing bends for a while, but now with some songs I've been trying to learn I'm a bit confused. I used to think I knew what pitch a full bend sounded like, but now with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/2, 2 and 2 1/2 bends I don't really know how far I should be bending. Is a 2 1/2 bend even possible without a pedal or something to do it?

Is a full bend the equivalent of 2 frets higher in pitch? If it is something simple like that I could probably figure it out. Otherwise, how high up the fretboard (towards my face) would I have to bend the high E to make 2 full bends? And is half the height of that the equivalent of 1 full bend, or does the pitch get exponentially higher as you bend the string higher?

By 1/2, they mean 1/2 step higher.

Aka from C to Db (1 fret).

2 1/2 would be 2 1/2 steps higher.

From C to F (5 frets).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
It would take some effort, but it's possible
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
As for 1/4 bends, they're just a matter of feel. Usually I do those as a slow vibrato.
Hi, I'm Peter
Alright, and for really fast bends, I'm thinking the trick must be to let them fall back maybe only 1/2 way back before the next note, it seems impossible for something like freebird to have enough time to let it drop all the way down and bend it up, if I'm wrong then I guess I should just give up now
Quote by mrsmurder
no you can't...a 2.5 bend doesn't exist

Why not?

Of course it exists. Its just very difficult. Tune your guitar down a whole step and it will be easier.
Quote by mrsmurder
no you can't...a 2.5 bend doesn't exist

Explain.
Quote by utsapp89
actually the other day i did a 3 bend, the dude had size 8 strings so that helped a ton
it realy all depens on the size of string you got going
who the hell cares, just listen to the song or play it how it sounds best