this is the final part of the whole pandoras box of modes that i dont understand.

how do you determine what chords go under a mode?

say for example D dorian?
Take the notes out of the mode. D Dorian = D E F G A B C D so chords possible (triads) would be Dmin, Emin, F, G, Amin, Bmin/-5, C.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
you have to make a chord progression that revolves around that chord.

so if you're in D dorian...

try making Dm7 the resolve chord.

an easy way to do it is to just make a 1 4 5 progressoin in that mode,

this would be Dm7 G7 Am7 G7.
The chords shift from the major scale just like the notes of the mode shift from the major scale. D dorian uses the same notes (and the same chords) as C major. The chords would be: Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, and C.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
I'm not sure if you'll understand this, but here goes.

Lowercase = Minor
Uppercase = Major
(dim) = Diminished

Ionian (Major)
I ii iii IV V vi viidim

Dorian
i ii III IV v vidim VII

Phrygian
i II III iv vdim VI vii

Lydian
I II iii ivdim V vi vii

Mixolydian
I ii iiidim IV v vi VII

Aeolian (Minor)
i iidim III iv v VI VII

Locrian
Don't Bother.

The roman numerals represent the quality of the chord based off of that note in the scale, pretty much. A very common progression is the I IV V progression. Well, thats in a major. So if you want the same progression in Dorian, I'd do a i IV v progression, because it'd make the chords fit within the key, and then resolve to the tonic of Dorian.
Don't ignore Locrian dammit!
I can't seem to find a list of chords that work well with it anywhere.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Don't ignore Locrian dammit!
I can't seem to find a list of chords that work well with it anywhere.

I think then you missed the point of coffee guys post. Surely we all know the chords in the Major scale Ionian.

I ii iii IV V vi vii(dim)

and surely we all know the modes of the major are just the major scale from a different starting point.

Then if you bother to think about it, we know that the chords are the same just from a different starting point.

Thus, the chords of Locrian are

i(dim) II iii iv V VI vii

Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!