I'm about to hit the stores in search for a better guitar, I'm interested in LP or SG. I'd like to know any suggestions or your opinions u might shoot here. I want a richer, louder, neater, hi-input, and warmer sound. Thanks in forehand!
uhm... I would go for the LP , it rocks for all genres!
Quote by Yakult
Why are you talking to yourself? Stay off the drugs
^ I got rid of playing green day centuries ago, punk in general, i just had nothing else for an avatar lol. I play stuff like Atreyu, A7x, Darkest Hour, Underoath, Still Remains, etc. I need something for that kinda music. So as you posted u'd suggest an SG for this i guess?
Well there both good guitars, do you have any preferance? Looking at the type of sound you want I would say an SG. Try them both out and see which one you like. Also people say LP's are heavy I really don't think so, I have an LP and don't have any weight issues.But if weight is an issue then I'd go with an SG which is really light but perhaps neck heavy. Just try them out each has its pros and cons.
SG's are fast guitars.
LP's have great tone.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jun 20, 2006,
Get a Les Paul, then play some proper rock stuff, not Green Day.

Besides, BJA uses a Les Paul Junior (right?) so it wouldn't be the same as a Standard
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
the lp is a great guitar, but a little heavy. the sg is very, very light, has good tone, and depending on the model you buy, u can always put in different pups or get new effects if u dont like the sound already, but u should like the sound it has stock. hope i helped.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
i personally like the lp more, but then again the sg is probably more comfortable, since its extremely light and isnt thick at all. but then again its personal preferance.
what kinda budget are you thinking? and did you have any certain brand in mind?
I'm thinking to spend like about $500 to $600. And for brand Gibson or Epiphone. I don't really get the difference between those brands, Epiphone is a bit cheaper but it seems almost the same as Gibson. Can't really tell though cus I've never had either.
the gibson sg special faded is a decent guitar for under $700, ud maybe want to change the tuners, im not sure.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Remember kids!
Special=/=Good.
Special is Gibson/Epiphone's way of saying lower quality.
ok steveclark1212, how are sg's fpr realy rock, so guns n roses, led zepplin, and other bands arent realy rock cause they use les pauls?

fwibble keep your comments about what he should play to yourself

punk_rocker101, an sg isnt that much lighter than a les paul theres like a 3 pound difference thats it.

ok now for my advice...

les pauls are the better overall guitar, better tone than an sg, more sustain and they're built better, more solid
sg's are good, i own one, they have a more trebeley tone. lp's have a smoother more bassy tone. sg's have the greatest fret access ive ever had the pleasure to play on any guitar. a lp's fret access isnt as good, but if your fingers are longer like mine you'll have no problem. sg's are also known for having a weak neck joint, i hear they break after years of abuse. but what guitar wouldnt be damaged after years of abuse. you play punk so im guessing you dont solo so the fret access thing wouldnt bother you. if you can handle the weight (10 pounds), then i say go for the les paul.

EDIT: epiphones are a waste of time and your not geeting no quality gibson for 600

i suggest either an agile www.rondomusic.net
and i highly suggest an edwards www.katanaguitars.com
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jun 20, 2006,
Quote by punk_rocker101
the gibson sg special faded is a decent guitar for under $700, ud maybe want to change the tuners, im not sure.

^id get a high end epiphone rather than the special. besides those lower end gibs have quirks.
agile is a great idea too if you want a les paul. AL-3000 or AL-3500. both great guitars, and fairly cheap
do A Search
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
do A Search

Quoted for emphasis.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by screen21
^ I got rid of playing green day centuries ago, punk in general, i just had nothing else for an avatar lol. I play stuff like Atreyu, A7x, Darkest Hour, Underoath, Still Remains, etc. I need something for that kinda music. So as you posted u'd suggest an SG for this i guess?

Nope - it's still music for kids.
Quote by smb

maybe he is a kid?
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
Quote by tylerishot
Remember kids!
Special=/=Good.
Special is Gibson/Epiphone's way of saying lower quality.

kinda like retarded kids...I'm going to hell...

anyways, I'd go for the SG, but that may be because I hate LP's with a passion.
Quote by steveclark1212
dude get the les paul.. ur gunna be playing green day **** neways..
Sg's are for real rock

if sg's are for real rock what the hell are les pauls for?
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
Go with whatever you want once you try them.

oh and SMB what does your name stand for? The band SMB from Minnesota?
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
^fake rock, duh.

actually thats really stupid. SG's arent made for 'real rock'. I prefer the Les Paul, I have a Les Paul Standard, its my 2nd guitar (the first one was my beginner guitar). It only cost about 500 dollars, but now they're down to 375-400. You might want to get an Epiphone LP Custom.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

neither for the price that they go for, scheter all the way, and one with a FR for the newer music you play, as i feel atreyu and a7x would work with that well
^ Maybe I'd consider a schecter

Quote by smb

Hey f.ucker it's the music I like and I'm not ashamed of it. Idiot.
Last edited by screen21 at Jun 20, 2006,
The SG actually used to be the Les Paul SG it was just supposed to be a variant of the LP but they found that less weight and another cutaway caused better tone they took away the third pickup and renamed it to just SG
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music