Hey,

Im in the market for a new amp, and i've got about $700 to spend. I just noticed this new amp on musiciansfriend (the epiphone blues 30 amp) and i was wondering what you guys thought of it. Otherwise, and recomendations for amps, definatley tube, enough for gigging, still okay for practicing too. I don't mind having to buy a distortion pedal on the side if that is what it takes to get a good overdrive. I dont need or want metal distortion, but i'd like a nice crunch, maybe marshall-ish.

Thanks alot
For 700$ you can get a Traynor YCV50Blue or a used Marshall JCM.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
They are relatively new and there wasn't a harmony central user review up when I checked a week ago, I was interested in one. Ended up just buying the epiphone valve junior and figured I would sell it at the end of the year to buy either the epiphone standard or blues custom. At the very least I'll probably keep the junior for practise, I dont think a 30w would be crankable for practise, but the valve junior sounded about the same as both the standard and custom with blues overdrive running into them.
Thanks for the help

My friend has a marshall dsl 401 which i like alot as far as the distortion, but i think that the cleans are lacking just a little.

Ive never played a traynor before (they're never in stores). If anybody has one or has played one if they could tell me about it that would be awesome

I like the epiphone blues thirty alot because of the 30/15 watt switch, but they're so new i dont know about their sound

More opinions and advice are much appreciated, thanks alot
Quote by ratmzep
They are relatively new and there wasn't a harmony central user review up when I checked a week ago, I was interested in one. Ended up just buying the epiphone valve junior and figured I would sell it at the end of the year to buy either the epiphone standard or blues custom. At the very least I'll probably keep the junior for practise, I dont think a 30w would be crankable for practise, but the valve junior sounded about the same as both the standard and custom with blues overdrive running into them.

could you describe your epiphones sound a little? i was wondering what they are like
Well the one I bought is the only one of the new line that is available in australia yet, and it is only 5w. You can buy the head for $100USD or the 8" combo for $130USD, I bought the combo which has a chinese epiphone speaker which isn't too bad, and I think 1 preamp and 1 poweramp tube (sovteks I think), but you need an EQ to control the levels, all it has is an on/off switch and a volume knob. I'm pretty sure the 5w is the best value/$ in terms of sound, the valve standard (15w) is obviously louder and I think it's aimed to compete with a fender blues junior. I think it's about the same size as the valve junior special, which is much bigger (more than twice) than the valve junior. I'm still waiting for the blues custom to come to australia, I think it is a few months off, obviously it will have better sound quality than the valve junior combo, but it's more than 3x the price. If it is anywhere near the quality/$ as the valve junior I will buy it. You should compare them all, with and without pedals.

The valve junior didn't impress me that much in store, but I had decided before I tried it that I would buy it anyway, I needed an amp and for that price it was worth buying compared to any of the solid states in the price range. When I got it home and got used to it, tried it with my pedals and wah, I found it produced the exact sounds I was looking for. With a blues overdrive, vox wah and the volume about 3/4 the way up, it wasn't too loud but had all the tones I was after, zeppelin, cream, ACDC. If it wasn't for that fact it was so small and not really up to overcoming drums it would be perfect for gigging, and that's what I imagine the valve standard and blues custom are more for, the 2x12 30w custom would be loud enough and look professional enough for gigging, though a mic wouldnt go astray. If I were you I would get the valve junior for $130 and get a pedal with it, try it for a week or two and then if you think it is decent go back to the store and try out the blues custom, and any other 15-30w amp in its price range, and then buy whatever one you are most happy with, it should still only come in at around $700 (blues custom is $500 I think). Then use the junior for practise so you can crank it for the tube tone without noise complaints, and the custom for gigging, that way you always have a backup that is easy to carry around or worst case scenario something you can mic should something suddenly happens to the custom or whatever amp you choose as your main one while at a gig.
holy **** since when did epiphone decide to sell tube amps? they look badass, including the new So Cal one.
I played on of those epiphone valve standards, and I wasn't amazed, hte breakup wasn't great. But it seems liek a god amp that'll take a lot of pedals. As for hte dsl401, I wasn't impresed with that either. The distortion wasn't aamzing imo and hte cleans were that great either.
yeah, i actually do like the distortion on that but i want a good clean amp that will break up and sound really good loud, because thats the major problem with my amp now.
I was also interested in that new Epiphone 30 blues amp. I wonder if the clean tone on the amp is any good? I have never seen any amp like the new Epiphone blues 30 with such a low price tag. It must be loud as hell ! seven tubes? Man that would cost serious bucks to retube the beast. At nearly 70 lbs it's a real heavyweight amp.