Hey there. I am looking for a great overdrive pedal and am a little overwhelmed at the selection. I am currently playing on a Gibson Les Paul Studio and am buying a Mesa Boogie Mark IV soon. I like to play alot of classic rock, and blues rock such as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc. I just really want a pedal that can pull off some heavy overdrive and give some nice crunge. Money isnt a problem, ill pay for what I think is best even if its a little steep. If you guys could help me out by telling me what pedal would suit me best in your opinion that would be great. (links would be nice if possible)

Thanks alot.
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
Last edited by Maj_Tom at Jun 20, 2006,
price range?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
a couple very popular OD pedals are the TS9 and OD808. I prefer the OD808 since it sounded a little more transparent to me. I use them more as a "tone tightener" on my gain channels, and just for some more versatility on my cleans. You probably won't really need an OD for a Mark IV, unless you're going for a variety of metal tones. The Mark has more than enough gain for classic rock on it's own.

edit: if you're looking for boutique stuff, I don't have much experience. I do own an Xotic AC booster though, and it's a great OD/boost pedal. Their stuff is all top notch, pricey but worth it. There are clips and vids for each of their products. http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/lineup.html
The Zendrive is also supposed to be a great OD, although I've only heard clips. If Mascot or Powerfreak doesn't see this thread, PM one of those guys, they know a lot of great boutique pedals.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 20, 2006,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 20, 2006,
wow big selection, um off the top of my head...maxon od808, od9, rod880, rod 881, ibanez ts808, ts9, digitech bad monkey, blues driver, zoom pd-01, etc.
Every overdrive ever is a copy of the tubescreamer. You can't really go far wrong. If you want you're own tone you're gonna need to get out the soldering iron. Don't buy anything expensive, because there's little difference between them.
kelley mooded SD-1
GEAR

ESP LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81s
Jackson Dinky DXMG with EMG 81/85
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Ashdown Fallen Angel Cab 120W 4X12
Keeley Modded SD-1 Overdrive
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Noise gate (cheap)
EQ (cheap)
Quote by smb
Every overdrive ever is a copy of the tubescreamer.

first of all that's not true.....if you knew anything you would know that maxon made the tubescreamer FOR ibanez, so all of maxon's pedals that have the same numbers like the od808 and od9 are EXACTLY the same pedal as the ts808 and ts9, with a different name on them
+ true bypass...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I figured the guy wanted info on what overdrives sound like what, not the corporate history of Ibanez and Maxon. In any case, the original pedals were sold as Ibanez Tubescreamers, and secondarily marketed as Maxon ODs. Do you call it a Maxon clone or a Tubescreamer clone? Are you gonna say something to help the guy who asked the question or just hang around making useless points?
That TS-9 looks nice, I heard some MP3 samples aswell. I have a dealer near by so I could quiet plausably get it. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about that pedal?
Quote by Maj_Tom
That TS-9 looks nice, I heard some MP3 samples aswell. I have a dealer near by so I could quiet plausably get it. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about that pedal?

great pedal, a lot of well known artists use(d) the TS9. Check out the TS808 or OD808 too if you get the chance. Very similiar to the TS9, just slightly smoother IMO. If you decide there is something you don't like about the sound, there are mods on the net to customize them, and there are well known guys like Keeley and Analogue man that will mod them for you.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Dr. No
Metal Muff?

Ummm...Just by the sounds of that pedals name I don't think it's what I would be looking for. I could be wrong though.
yea just get a ts808 or ts9 or od808 or od9 though they are more expensive.....those will suit you great
Quote by Maj_Tom
No price range

No price range? try somehting like a Klon Centaur. $400 and it get to you in half a year but apparently its the best overdrive you can get (not sure if it'll do classic rock specifically but i'll kick you amp up a notch for sure)...

anyway, the Tubescreamers are fine pedals if you have a tube amp (even without they aren't that bad). The Maxon versions are a bit better than the Ibanez ones according to some.
The TS808 gives more of a boost compared to the TS9 due to....2 resistors that have different values. Other than that the only difference is the opamp chip used (by chaning both of these 2 things you can easily change any tubescreamer to TS808 specs).

Quote by smb
I figured the guy wanted info on what overdrives sound like what, not the corporate history of Ibanez and Maxon. In any case, the original pedals were sold as Ibanez Tubescreamers, and secondarily marketed as Maxon ODs. Do you call it a Maxon clone or a Tubescreamer clone? Are you gonna say something to help the guy who asked the question or just hang around making useless points?

the Boss SD1 is also almost the same circuit as the tubescreamer, you could practically build it on the same PCB
Last edited by seljer at Jun 20, 2006,
A vintage 808.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Get some guy to custom make a circuit for you if you have no price range. Lots of builders will do it.
Quote by The Master Plan
A vintage 808.

if you can afford paying $600 for one....or you can could get a modded one. I believe the AnalogMan mods are aimed more for "vintageness" as compared to the Keely mods.
Yea you can get a modded ts or a boss overdrive, Which is what I have I had him make it as vintage as they could, and I love it.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
The Keeley mod just swaps the chip for a TI one (i can't remember the number), replaces a couple of capacitors and puts in a blue light rather than the red one. They charge $50 - I could do it for a tenner. The same applies for the mod to the SD-1. The SD-1 is a TS but it clips the peaks and troughs of the wave unequally (asymetric, if you like) so has a slightly different character, but that's only really brought out with a tube amp and plenty of drive from the pedal.
fulltone fulldrive 2 custom shop mosfet edition...i just got mine

225 plus tax and 8 months back order, that is, if you can find a store that sells them

totally worth it IMO
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project