As I remember the Rhythme parts on Surfing were played on a borrowed SQUIER strat. I think it was through a Marshall. Best tone he ever had aswell.
Both are wrong. He didn't have a JSX signature back in those days, this was the album that made him. On SWTA he used a wah pedal set halfway and not moved at all for that spacey sort of vocal sound and some small brand mini amp (Gorilla something or other, i forget).
^ i agree with cody. Add some chorus or flange to enhance the alien sound.

for the crush of love, it's mainly wah-wah, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
modded ds1??
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

back in the Surfing with the Alien period:

-some kind of Marshall (tube of course)
-a regular stock Boss DS1 (and for a long long time, I don't even know if his is modded now but I'm pretty sure it was stock for all of the 90s)
-Boss DD2 or DD3 delay pedal and other digital delays for some ambience
-way too much chorus for my taste (but this was back in the 80s so...)
-the most vocal wah imagineable
-his regular basswood Ibanez JS series, no idea if he allready had his Dimarzio pickups at the time (try PAF Pros otherwise)

no idea about Crush of Love, haven't got that one

but otherwise in general:

-Marshall for the amps mainly (I think he used one of the 30th anniversary ones for quiet a while), then for a short period Peavey XXXs before he got his JSXs sorted out and he uses them prettymuch all the time now
-Ibanez JS series for prettymuch everything (basswood + Dimarzio pickups), might be an odd rythm part with a Strat but....
-a Boss DS1
-a Boss DD2 or DD3 and other delays for reverbish type sounds
-that amazingly vocal wah which I haven't figured out yet
-Digitech Whammy for weird stuff
-Fulltone Ultimate Octave for kind of fuzzy octavey stuff
-on the past album or 2 he's also had the Boss OC3 and PS5 for some harmonizing stuff, on Super Collasal he got the Electroharmonix POG thing for the riff in the title track
-some kind of chorus pedal (probably another Boss will do)
Last edited by seljer at Jun 20, 2006,
Quote by seljer
-that amazingly vocal wah which I haven't figured out yet

Satch has always used Crybabies. He used a normal one back then, but now he uses one of those ones with the knobs and stuff
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Satch has always used Crybabies. He used a normal one back then, but now he uses one of those ones with the knobs and stuff

hmm..maybe its more of thing of how the wah reacts with the amp...

I need to get around to putting my one back together as its beeb peices for more than half a year now
^ just stick a crybaby at the q point and it'll get close enough...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea he's always used orignal crybabies. And yea seljer had it pretty much. Only thing I'd like to add is he used JCM800 2210 dual channels, I'm pretty sure. I know for the extremist he did, granted the tone is a bit different but still similar. Basically yea 800s or late 70s JMPs.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
they need to make a magic powder to sprinkle on your amp and have it sound just like satch. they should call it "satch's batch" and be sold in music shops everywhere.