Covering songs is easy; however, I know a lot of people have trouble writing their own solos. Thus, I have composed a bit of advice to help people learn to solo. If any others have advice to add to this thread, that'd be pretty cool.

1. Work on improv. This sounds like a "duh" but it is important. To write a solo and perfect it, you must have a general grasp on how to play solos.

2. Don't try anything too speedy at first. Sliding, bending, etc are your friends.

3. This will make you sound so much better than you really are: start by writing solos for other bands' music. To do this, take the vocals and convert the notes sung to guitar. After that, trill a bit, bend a bit, and you have an impressive solo. You can do this with music you write as well, many bands practice this and pull off pretty cool solos.

An easy way to practice this is by using midi files, there are many 'tab' editors that allow you to import midis. Find the vocals on it, and it'll be tabbed (usually a little out of key) but it is easy to fix and improve upon.

If you keep these three in mind (particularly #3, such an easy trick!) then you will be fine.

m_b
It's a bit vague and you haven't really given any information on creative soloing - although I like the substituting vocals for improvisation.

Either way - this should be in UG Contribution.
Kudos to you!
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Here, I decided to give an example for #3. I played the guitar solo to "Secret Agent Man" just as it is played in the original recording. Only thing is, I played it right over vocals.

Also, if you'll noticed, if you run the blues scale (starting on lowe fret 12) you'll bump into 9/10 notes, not bad, eh?

bigmb.dmusic.com click on 'example'
Am i assuming you mean just a part of the song where you can play a bass solo, or actually playing bass as a solo instrument?

I think you missed out the most important thing, and that is SCALES!!!!!! Improv comes from knowing your scales, chord tones, fretbaord. without those things, what are you playing?

You should know scales , augmented, diminished, triads, inversions, major and minor.. everything. thats how you learn to bass solo ! !!
He already mentioned that, but its also important to know how to use them - which just takes practice.
Couple things Ide like to say is:
- always remember to place rests where notes should be held and keep the length of notes different or its just boring.
- keep some notes with the simple beat - listen to Freebird to know what i mean
- repeat phrases so you have a sorta theme in the solo
Very good points, JRSB. Kudos to you.

Applehead, this was more geared towards guitar solo, I didn't touch on bass soloing in this thread. I originally played bass and have moved to guitar, and I find that soloing the two is done a bit differently. For example, mimicing voices with bass seldom sounds good. Maybe another time I'll post a thread on that