Okay, I'm a newbie...forgive me if this sounds dumb. Very basic question, I looked around on the internet and couldn't find much about it, and I browsed this forum but again, didn't find anything...so, bear with me if this has been answered before.

I've been playing acoustic for less than a year (only really got seriuos about it in the last few months, though) and want to eventually move to an electric. I've been researching a bit, and think I'm gonig to go for an Epiphone to start...either a Les paul Special 2, or an SG. I've got to go and play a couple to make up my mind, but meantime, I've got a stupid question:

One of the differences between a couple of the guitars I'm looking at (also mentioned on the reviews of them on this site) is that some have only two knobs (one tone, one volume) and others have four (one volume, three tone?) Not sure what the deal is...I guess more knobs=more sound options, but is it needed?

If you're asking, I intend to play mostly classic rock and blues...inspirations are Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, and a bit of Hendrix.

Oh, btw, this site rocks...I can't tell you how much I've improved in the short time I've been here!
Each tone knob controls a different pick-up. If it has 4 knobs, that's 2 tone and 2 volume, one set for each pick-up.

EDIT: If it has 3 pick-ups and 3 knobs, that's usually because the bridge pick-up doesn't have a tone knob and the volume controls the overall guitar sound, it doesn't vary by pick-up.
the ones with 4 knobs go this way

knob 1: neck volume
knob 2: bridge volume
knob 3: neck tone
knob 4: bridge tone

Alot of people prefer 4 knob set ups because they can get different tones (neck pick-up with a little hint of bridge, or the cool on-off effect of turning the volume down of one pick-up and switching between both pick-ups)
The number of tone knobs vary based on the pickups.

Example: I have a Stratocaster and it has 3 knobs (one volume and 2 tone). Tone knob one controls the neck pickup and the second tone knob controls the middle pickup. There is no tone knob for the bridge pickup.
Sounds good...so the SG I'm looking at (SG 310) has two humbuckers, and four knobs...like the setup described above. The guitar is a bit more expensive, but looks like it'd be better value for the money (between the two, anyway).
The LP Special 2 has two humbuckers as well, but only two knobs...one tone for both?

While I'm here, how difficult is it to upgrade the pickups?
Quote by tobiasosir
Sounds good...so the SG I'm looking at (SG 310) has two humbuckers, and four knobs...like the setup described above. The guitar is a bit more expensive, but looks like it'd be better value for the money (between the two, anyway).
The LP Special 2 has two humbuckers as well, but only two knobs...one tone for both?

While I'm here, how difficult is it to upgrade the pickups?

The two knobs on the LP Special 2 means one for overall tone and one for overall volume, no matter what pickup you use. Upgrading pickups isn't insanely hard, but if it's your first time, it's better to either have it done in a shop, or have someone walk you through it.
Makes sense to me...I'll probably want to upgrade them sooner or later, but I wouldn't trust myself with an expensive piece of equipment like this! Thanks for all the help/info...