How well do guitars without the full locking tremolo system such as the John Petrucci Music Man, Carvins with Wilkensons and Locking tuners compare to the ones with the all out trem (locking nut, locking bridge, locking tuners).

Is there a sustain difference? Does the non locking trem system go out of tune when u use the tremolo?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
allegedly locking tuners work best when combined with a roller nut like the fender LSR for strats. i have this set up and it's pretty good, even with the trem, though i have a crappy MIM bridge, not an american one. the american is heavier and more stable, so i imagine it's even better with the tuners and roller nut.
...nothing's wrong with the locking trem exept for the part about tuning with a screwdriver....
Quote by JET116
...nothing's wrong with the locking trem exept for the part about tuning with a screwdriver....

U don't need a screwdriver, u shoudl be able to turn the fine tuners with your fingers. Changing strings is a hassle though.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ You have to undo the allen nuts. I guess he meant an allen wrench?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
oh, i thought he meant put it in tune.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
obviously, a guitar without any trem will sustain more. wilkinsons are better that floating bridges IMO. i ghetto rigged mine, i raised the trem some. not only did it increase sustain but it turned into a floyd rose (i can raise the pitch now, not as much as a floyd though). this guitar i am talking about also has locking tuners so maybe thats why i can stay in tune better than most.....hope this helps
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Well, my main question is, with heavy use of a whammy bar, does the non locking tremolos stay in tune as well as the locking tremolos? And if there are any, what good non locking tremolos can be used in a floating position. I'm learned bad horsie but i dont' have a tremolo. My ibanez is at the band practice house and the nut is missing, and my squire won't stay in tune. Bad Horsie sounds really bland without a tremolo.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Well, my main question is, with heavy use of a whammy bar, does the non locking tremolos stay in tune as well as the locking tremolos? And if there are any, what good non locking tremolos can be used in a floating position. I'm learned bad horsie but i dont' have a tremolo. My ibanez is at the band practice house and the nut is missing, and my squire won't stay in tune. Bad Horsie sounds really bland without a tremolo.

long story short.

locking tuners + non locking trem = okay

non locking tuners + non locking trem = bad

lock tuners + locking trem = great stability but a hassle

non locking tuners + locking trem = okay but still a hassle

every other word started in "lock, locking"....
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
i have both
american deluxe fat strat (locking tuners)
peavey wolfgang special (floyd rose)
they both work perfect but i kinda like the floyd better for that fine tunning you can do at the bridge.
Quote by DunlopGuy
long story short.

locking tuners + non locking trem = okay

non locking tuners + non locking trem = bad

lock tuners + locking trem = great stability but a hassle

non locking tuners + locking trem = okay but still a hassle

every other word started in "lock, locking"....

THAT MAKES SENSE.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
THAT MAKES SENSE.

your very welcome, pm for payment details (kidding)
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns