66 59%
College: No
45 40%
Fraternity: Yes
16 14%
Fraternity: No
69 62%
Voters: 112.
To all UGers, are you in University now or not? And to all the UGers at University in the US, are you in a fraternity?

I was just wondering what the breakdown is here on the site.

Im at University now, and in a fraternity

So............... hows bout it?
Last edited by bajeda at Jun 21, 2006,
poll?

im not

Edit:never mind poll up
3 small pizzas, thats like 6 large pizzas.

I was the Cas Appreciator #5. PM Skeptopotamus to Appreciate
Hm, I'm living in a fraternity over the summer but not a member, nor will I be.
im in a university but not in a fraternity. i dont plan to join either. =\
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
i'm in a spanish university, we don't get that fraternity stuff much round here...
so who do i have to kill to get a crit? --> Memory

(e-cookie for whoever spots the alliteration, ha)

y cuando llegue el momento, sólo el viento se llevará lo que siento; y cuando acabe mi suerte, sólo en la muerte estaré fuerte y despierto...
Quote by bajeda
They all use greek letters to comprise the name, as they are supposed to uphold grecian values of scholarship and morality.

Supposed to anyway. Mostly its paying a lot of money (but thats what mummy and daddy are for) so that little Billy will have lots of friends to play with at college. Usually fraternities have the consistently lowest GPAs on campus, and the most number of police visits.
Discolored skin gives me away.
Quote by jcthomasva
Supposed to anyway. Mostly its paying a lot of money (but thats what mummy and daddy are for) so that little Billy will have lots of friends to play with at college. Usually fraternities have the consistently lowest GPAs on campus, and the most number of police visits.

thats a stereotype. Fraternities like that exist, but theres a much broader range of diversity.

One bad thing about being in one is you have to deal with all the fucking misinformation and stereotypes out there about fraternities. especially with people who don't go to US colleges or who only see the fucked up ones.
if they are like the fraternity in national lampoon's animal house then it'd be fun

seems like a posh way for rich kids to make friends

just get your own friends and do what you want, but america has some strange uni traditions i guess

(i'm from ireland btw)
im in college and would never join a frat. my cousin who also goes to VT is in a frat, so i can really hang out there anytime i want. which isnt often. frats are great for some people, they get to hang out with people who are similar to them and have a community that accepts them no matter what. and sure they do comunity service and of course throw some sic parties, but they just arent my thing. i dont think that everyone realizes that most of the stereo types arent true, but the problem is that most of these stereotypes do have at least some basis in reality. its not my thing, but hey its perfect for some people and they should go for it.
Fraternities are the gayest things one could possibly partake in.
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote by jof1029
im in college and would never join a frat. my cousin who also goes to VT is in a frat, so i can really hang out there anytime i want. which isnt often. frats are great for some people, they get to hang out with people who are similar to them and have a community that accepts them no matter what. and sure they do comunity service and of course throw some sic parties, but they just arent my thing. i dont think that everyone realizes that most of the stereo types arent true, but the problem is that most of these stereotypes do have at least some basis in reality. its not my thing, but hey its perfect for some people and they should go for it.

Hey, I go to VT, too... what frat is he in? What program are you in?
I joined a legal fraternity my 2nd year of law school because my best friend was the Justice (legal version of president). It's called Phi Alpha Delta.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm attending Indiana University and although I'm not in a frat, I don't have anything against them. As already mentioned, they aren't as bad as they are made out to be. I actually have more of a problem with sorority girls...many of them dress the same and seem to have developed their own accent.
I go to univ, and im not involved in greek life. I have friends who are, however.

...people who can afford to buy their friends, do.
oh well.

some of these sororities are rediculous though. the stupid leading the stupid.
Quote by DarkHorse85
I go to univ, and im not involved in greek life. I have friends who are, however.

...people who can afford to buy their friends, do.
oh well.

some of these sororities are rediculous though. the stupid leading the stupid.

I don't see Fraternities as buying friends. For the most part you find people you like and get along with and stick with them. Its more of like minded people getting together, hence you get certain reputations for certain fraternities. like the nerd fraternity, the laid back fraternity, the stupid retarded dumbass wreck the house fraternity (the animal house stereotype is true in some cases, though it hurts the greek community as a whole), etc.

Sororities I think are more of the buy your friends kind. They have a long ass application process and have so many members that there is no possible way they could all know one another. Plus they pay thousands of dollars a semester.

Most fraternities are mid sized, with few going over 100 people (mine is around 50), dues are maybe $500 a semester for formals and other events, plus living in the house is sweet (if it isn't a piece of sh*t, contrary to popular belief, some fraternity houses are actually really nice places to live).
I'm in college at the University of North Dakota. Greek life isn't huge up here...our biggest fraternity is about 60 or so members. Mine (Beta Theta Pi) is about average sized, having about 35 members. The guys in my house range from guys that graduate with an almost 4.0 GPA in ridiculously hard majors, to guys that don't really ever crack a book in college, and have GPAs to match, from National Champion Swimmers, to guys that consider playing XBox physical activity. Fraternities are, for the most part, a nice place to live on my campus. Most stereotypes of fraternities are not true at all for most fraternities...but there are the few cases that give all of greek life a bad name, which is unfortunate. I say all of this as a complete convert on the subject of greek life. When I came to college, I had no interest whatsoever in "buying my friends." I did, however, go to one fraternity because I was a finalist for a scholarship that they offered to all incoming freshman males. I didn't end up winning it, but they did give me a bid card that day. I took it back to my room, not planning to use it at all. I kept thinking about it, and, about a week later, I met a now very close friend of mine, who also had recieved a bid from the same fraternity. Neither of us had really planned to go in on it, but eventually we both convinced each other to join the fraternity. We are now the President and Vice-President of that chapter. He will also be the best man at my wedding. I got engaged last October...to a beautiful woman that also happens to be a sorority girl(her only fault is she doesn't play guitar)...she joined after hanging out with me, and meeting sorority girls that she used to complain about before she actually met them and got to know them. Funny, huh? Anyways, point of the story is, that none of the people mentioned in there, myself included, would have ever considered joining greek life without first seeing it for what it actually is. I think joining a fraternity was the best decision I've made of my college career.
I really should find something worthwhile to put down here...
British Uni so we don't have them, but British students are profficient Alcoholics without help.
Quote by zsmith
I'm in college at the University of North Dakota. Greek life isn't huge up here...our biggest fraternity is about 60 or so members. Mine (Beta Theta Pi) is about average sized, having about 35 members. The guys in my house range from guys that graduate with an almost 4.0 GPA in ridiculously hard majors, to guys that don't really ever crack a book in college, and have GPAs to match, from National Champion Swimmers, to guys that consider playing XBox physical activity. Fraternities are, for the most part, a nice place to live on my campus. Most stereotypes of fraternities are not true at all for most fraternities...but there are the few cases that give all of greek life a bad name, which is unfortunate. I say all of this as a complete convert on the subject of greek life. When I came to college, I had no interest whatsoever in "buying my friends." I did, however, go to one fraternity because I was a finalist for a scholarship that they offered to all incoming freshman males. I didn't end up winning it, but they did give me a bid card that day. I took it back to my room, not planning to use it at all. I kept thinking about it, and, about a week later, I met a now very close friend of mine, who also had recieved a bid from the same fraternity. Neither of us had really planned to go in on it, but eventually we both convinced each other to join the fraternity. We are now the President and Vice-President of that chapter. He will also be the best man at my wedding. I got engaged last October...to a beautiful woman that also happens to be a sorority girl(her only fault is she doesn't play guitar)...she joined after hanging out with me, and meeting sorority girls that she used to complain about before she actually met them and got to know them. Funny, huh? Anyways, point of the story is, that none of the people mentioned in there, myself included, would have ever considered joining greek life without first seeing it for what it actually is. I think joining a fraternity was the best decision I've made of my college career.

Nice post. I agree with alot of it.

Sort of funny though how a fraternity can differ quite a bit between its chapters. The Beta here is all huge meathead type guys lol.
My fraternity's GPA is higher than the average college GPA. It also is cheaper to join a fraternity than not because our housing is cheaper than standard university housing and the fraternity's alumni subsidize it for us. It's not just a place for 'rich kids to make friends' because most of us aren't rich, we care a lot about our studies, but we also throw awesome parties. We keep the place clean and there's always something fun going on. There's no hazing and basically its a ridiculous amount of good times. Everyone should at least check out a few fraternities before they make their decision about them because I initially thought the same way most people here did but after meeting all the brothers you realize that stereotypes aren't necessarily true. Joining on has been one of the best decisions I've ever made.
If stupid people were lit on fire, the world would be a much brighter place...
what exactly are fatrernaties? I know they wear the shirts and stuff with the greek letters and stuff but... are they like what preps are in high school?
Im at uni, but fraternities dont really exist in england (thank god - they seem horrible).
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name.
No, however september 2008 i'll be a freshmen at Boston College hopefully
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
i go to USC (Southern California, not Carolina....)...i couldn't say it has the biggest Greek scene in the nation, but i would venture to guess it's one of the more prominent ones. i'm not one for anything Greek affiliated. i went into college with some sort of a mindset about frats, not necessarily negative, but a mindset that made me sure they weren't for me. i've been in college for 3 months...i've been to parties on the Frat Row, i have pledges and brothers in my math classes and my dorm floor, i've seen their social events...nothing has really happened to change my mind about them.

it just seems to make peons out of people...Monday "formals" with the horrible combination of khaki pants and blue blazers (almost all of them seem to opt for this...why?!), pledges with watermelons, bitch chores almost every single night, mental and physical strain, all for the sake of brotherhood. to top it off, especially at USC, guys can't get into frat parties unless you REALLY know a pledge/brother or have 20 girls with you...

just another thing...one of the rush week events (for a couple of frats, i think) was to go to Las Vegas, partnered with a girl from some sorority, ultimately (but not explicitly stated) to get her to have sex with you...not exactly classy in my book.

i wouldn't say there's any one stereotype for a frat person, but they all do fit into some sort of range, one that i definitely do not fit into. in response to A New Level's question, i would say that the majority of those in frats were "preps" in high school. i couldn't even fathom joining a frat. i don't think they're bad, but i'm averse to many of the things they're into. and as far as friends...i'm happy with the friends i have, i don't want to pay to put myself in a situation where i make them via loose association instead of genuine interest.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Last edited by phobos at Nov 16, 2006,
I go to Penn State University, which has the most prominent Greek life of any university in the world with 49 fraternities. I am currently awaiting to start my pledging at the Beta Gamma chapter of Phi Kappa Theta, and this fraternity isn't dominated by bros, there are hippie-like dudes, skaters, and including myself there are 2 men there who love Cannibal Corpse and other various brutal music, so the whole stereotype of "frats" being comprised of bros is a very limited assessment, and to call fraternities "gay" is a converse statement since us fraternity men get quite a lot of pussy from the parties we have, the only way a fraternity is gay is if they make their pledges to naked cleanups and elephant walks.
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT