Im stuck marshall amps are a dream amp for alot of guys...and aot of guys go mesa or orange or whatever...

but my dilema isnt what brand its what amp, i want to upgrade my rig...the carvin full stack rules but...alas it tis not cutting it now that i have decided to buy a smaller lower wattage tube amp and use it for smaller venues, pull out the carvin only in band practice and larger venues and outdoors...

Ok DSL50/100, or a JTM45 or a JCM800

I need a great clean channel... and id like to have a 2 channel head but if i can get away with using a A/B/y switcher and a fender deluxe for cleans ill do that...or maybe an overdrive pedal in front of the single channel heads, any help here would be great...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Um.... enough to get a modern dist sound but versitle to get a classic rock sound too
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
then rule the jtm 45 out, i have a jtm 60 which is a model up, and it doesnt have a ton of distortion, which is alright for me but if tweaked right u can still get a nice modern sound out of it. ive never played a jcm 800 so i cant tell you about it. and a dsl definatly has lots of distortion, but people say the tone sucks, i played one and thought it was fine. i would go for the dsl for what u want
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I haven't had any experience with JTMs but I can comment on the other two. The DSL is a good amp, but it shines best for metal, IMO. The JCM 800 does classic rock beautifully, but it isn't very modern voiced. You'd be better off going with a JCM 900. It's more modern voiced than the 800 but not so modern that it doesn't do classic rock well. Marshalls have good cleans, but I don't think they're going to match up to a fender.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
yea, JCM900's kinda bridge classic and modern amps as far as Marshall's go. Since you want two channels and descent cleans, check out the Dual Reverb JCM900's
Ahh the dual reverbs...no thanks i want my amp dry...i can add reverb... reverb units always mean hassle (for me) every reverb i have delt with has enevidably broken down on me....my fender oractice amps has an annoying rattel and very loude feedback in the reverb unit problem...my carvins knob doesnt do anything its either all reverb or none, and my dads deluxe reverbe always has issues when i use it....thak god for the digiverb!!
Mail Goes here.

Your Carvin is a money amp, are you just looking to downsize a little? What about going with a 2x12 cab and hotplate? Set your wattage switch to 25 or 50%...

Also, how small a venue are you talking? Would a 30w amp be big enough?
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
a money amp??? explain please, nah swithcing down wattage doesnt lower voulume i actully changes the tone a bit, makes things muddier at 50% and 25 its mud mud mud.... i hvae a 2X12... and a decent soud there too but its kinda unerving....no way to prop up the amp and th 2X12 cab is loose sounding compared to the 4X12's
Mail Goes here.

if you can find a JCM800 that would so kick major @$$ i heard one last night with a LP runing through it and omg it was awsome. Great tone for w/e you need
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by SGKIDD
Ahh the dual reverbs...no thanks i want my amp dry...i can add reverb... reverb units always mean hassle (for me) every reverb i have delt with has enevidably broken down on me....my fender oractice amps has an annoying rattel and very loude feedback in the reverb unit problem...my carvins knob doesnt do anything its either all reverb or none, and my dads deluxe reverbe always has issues when i use it....thak god for the digiverb!!

...You can't just turn it off?
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
^Yeah. The reverb on 900's is foot switchable (on/off), or am I wrong?

yes it is.

900s rule. 800s rule.
reverb pans >>> digital reverb pedals IMO.......... they aren't expensive to buy new ones. you just can't bang them around a lot
Quote by Gutch220
yea, JCM900's kinda bridge classic and modern amps as far as Marshall's go. Since you want two channels and descent cleans, check out the Dual Reverb JCM900's

x2, I use that amp everyday and its sweet! really nice cleans and the distortion is modern but doesnt go into the metal terriotority! but a distortion pedal does the job or and overdrive pedal!!
so onw its either a 900 or an 800 then..the jtm is out... so what about the 900 being not available from marshall production lines, will that make it more expensive, and what kind of power tubes are we talkin??
Mail Goes here.

you can find them used on ebay for around $450-700 USD. They came with EL34's or 6L6's but I reccommend EL34's.
Thanks fellas, but i decded to save up and buy a decent pedal board and a few more fx instead..
Mail Goes here.

Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
^Yeah. The reverb on 900's is foot switchable (on/off), or am I wrong?

not full right, the dual reverb models have a channel footpedal no revrb pedal, you have to turn it off yourself
Quote by SGKIDD
Im stuck marshall amps are a dream amp for alot of guys...and aot of guys go mesa or orange or whatever...

but my dilema isnt what brand its what amp, i want to upgrade my rig...the carvin full stack rules but...alas it tis not cutting it now that i have decided to buy a smaller lower wattage tube amp and use it for smaller venues, pull out the carvin only in band practice and larger venues and outdoors...

Ok DSL50/100, or a JTM45 or a JCM800

I need a great clean channel... and id like to have a 2 channel head but if i can get away with using a A/B/y switcher and a fender deluxe for cleans ill do that...or maybe an overdrive pedal in front of the single channel heads, any help here would be great...

dude if you dont want to use a full stack at small gigs try unplugging one cab and only bringing a half stack
Quote by llanafreak44
not full right, the dual reverb models have a channel footpedal no revrb pedal, you have to turn it off yourself

there IS a reverb footswitch

jesus christ rocknrollgod... that is one damn sweet rig!!!

yeah, i'd go for a jcm900 with el34's, i really like mine.
Yeah I decided that was best.. Plus I had a session where i spent about 4 days 3 or so hours a day dialing in sounds.. so now i find the carvin totaly rapes the jcm800... after trying one ina music store throught a 1960B for a few days in a row, the carvin has way more flexibility and its overall tone is just more...alive and full, plus I am now using a few od pedals ect..hat helped the tone... its not as deifined at the JTM but its got a decent classic rock tone, especially set to clean w/ my TS-9 (its an 808 modded version, TRUE 808) and BD-2 its perfect
Mail Goes here.