Before I buy this setup i wanna know if this will be good

Schecter Omen 6 > Roland Cube 30 > Shure SM57 > Line 6 Toneport > Dell 8400

will that give me good recordings with no backgroudn noise and original sound from my amp? whats the best way to record?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Jun 20, 2006,
Isn't the Toneport used to interface your guitar and the computer together? If so you don't need a mic in between the Toneport and the computer. If you want to mic it you should do it like this

guitar>amp--mic>Toneport>computer

If you do this, the mic may pick up other things that go on especially if they are loud. As long as there aren't kids running around in the room knocking things around you should be good.
will it help with getting the natural tone of the instrument?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Well, I don't know about getting the natural tone. Any cheap interface will do, as long as it has a usb or firewire or some other capability to connect to your computer. It doesn't have to cost 1000 dollars. It just has to work.
i go straight from bass to soundcard (with a cable and converter of course) to get a natural tone, but by natural, i mean no effects at all, and i have a 3 band EQ on my bass.

i get godly tone considering the price it costs me (2 bucks for a converter, in all honesty )

but then im guessing you want to load up on effects, eh?
I think ur setup is great for beginner recording, it works fine for me
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701

i was looking at the sound clips, does it really sound THAT good!?

EDIT: and no im not going to load up on effects, its just that my acoustic tone doesnt sound as natural as it sounds to me, maybe im wrong\
right now Im just using a converter from my amp directly to my computer and it does ok, its just not as good as i want it to be
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

well i just find i get a helluva lot cleaner tone without an amp.

(so long as its a clean guitar to begin with)
^ you might get a cleaner tone, but you dont get the sound of your amp. i paid for a very nice sounding amp, now i sure as hell want that sound in my recordings. i mean sure i can get a good sound using an EQ and a touch of reverb on the guitar track in a program, but the amp sounds better to me. funnily enough ive had people tell me they loved the tone of my guitar in a song that went straight from the guitar to computer with absolutly nothing but the cable between. of course i EQed it, used a filter, and did a few other things to get it to sound nice, but i really think that micing a good amp gets you a much better sound.

threadstarter, that does sound like a good setup as long as you like the sound of your amp. i dont know the specs of that particular computer, but everything else should work well. i use a similar interface, and many people like the toneport so that is good. i have the same mic and i know for a fact it works well for micing an amp. i think thats a good guitar, so that should be fine, and if my memory serves me well i think that the cube is a nice sounding amp. you should be fine and able to get good sounding results.
The toneport is awesome for recording, just go

guitar ---> toneport ----> computer

you will get great results like 'This Fire Burns' on my dmusic, i used my toneport direct into my pc no mic no amp to get recordings like that

http://dockndlauren.dmusic.com/
Quote by oneandonly
i hear that toneport ain't that great, it's a beginners toy.

Some people think that way because they are fairly inexpensive. It sounds pretty awesome to me.
ya.....get that stuff man. or look into other interfaces.....there is some m-audio stuff and other brands that are equivalent prices and features as the toneport, except for the effects ****...which i hope your not using. the guy who said pluggin your guitar right in to the computer is wrong. you will get a much better tone with practice if you mic your amp. that is.....if you amp doesnt already sound like garbage.....

Good Luck

Adam