... Are you talking about tapping?
If you are, then try cranking the distortion and turning on the compressor (if you have one).
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
you have to hammer on the string hard with your fingers....if with practice it doesn't get better...then maybe its ur pickups
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
Quote by mr. cool
no its gotta be technique cause i am playing on quadrail humbuckers and .09 strings though a marshal avt halfstack

no not tapping just legato

Yes, it's technique. You have to practice and find a compromise between how hard you hit the string and how relaxed your hand is. Hit the string too hard and you'll find your other fingers fly up to compensate - which you don't want if you're doing a speed legato passage. Try to find a compromise where you can hit the string hard enough to get the volume equal to that of when you're picking, yet still maintaining a relaxed and open hand position - then practice with that.

Quote by hoobariffer87
... Are you talking about tapping?
If you are, then try cranking the distortion and turning on the compressor (if you have one).

No, please, don't. Don't use distortion to mask bad technique. Get the technique perfect, then add distortion.
is there anymore advice you could give me about adjusting the technique because even if i lift my whole hand off and hit it as hard as i can it still only sounds at best at about half the volume.
^Are the tips of your fingers perpendicular to the fretboard? Meaning, your fingertips are what you're fretting with, straight down.

If they are, gravity alone should put enough force on them where you can get a considerable volume without using any stressed force... if you let gravity do the work, your hand doesn't tense. It won't do all the work, but if your fingers are at the right angle, you shouldn't have any problems getting the right volume.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jun 20, 2006,