on the song Start Me Up, there is a twangy sounding guitar sound.. I know that one of the guys uses a Telecaster, but can the Strat get that sound too?

How different are the tones between a Strat and a Tele?
The difference in tone between a Strat and a Tele is rather small actually. You should be able to get that tone without trouble. Worry more about the amp you're using (for the Rolling Stones in the studio I've got a feeling that it was some sort of small sub-30w tube combo)
I don't know much about electronics, but I've heard that the Tele gets its twang from increased treble rolloff. You can probably mod a Strat to be as twangy as a Tele, but the difference is subtle.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jun 20, 2006,
Where the tonal difference between a Strat and Tele is very noticable is in the pickup combinations. To me, the neck/bridge pickup combo on the Tele isn't matched by either of the combination settings on a Strat. And yeah, you can do a mod on a Strat to get the bridge/neck combo, but I've tried that and it didn't sound all that great. Also, Teles tend to be made out of Ash rather than Alder, and they usually have fixed bridges rather than trems, which make them sound different. I'm a huge fan of the Tele, and I've owned 2 Strats. Oh, and Keith Richards' guitar work tends to sound especially distinct because he did a lot in open G tuning (tuned his strings to the notes of a G major chord) and then removed his low E string completely.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 20, 2006,