Alright, so a buddie of mine is looking at getting a new bass amp. He's looking in the $100-$200 price range, and is big on the 'Chili Peppers, and general funk, rock and blues stuff as well.

What would be his best bet to start looking at?

Thanks much.
GK Backline 110 or 112. 225 and 280 (respectively). Nice hi end and the 12'er will have some goodish lows. No better practice amp, IMO.
haha
Nothing good for under $200, at least not for gigs. Perhaps a SoundWave100 would be good.
by a NEW amp (you said new), u mean he already has one?

nothing would be a decent upgrade over a practice amp if thats what he has to spend imo.

you need a little more money, and be willing to buy used amps if possible.
Quote by mangablade
by a NEW amp (you said new), u mean he already has one?

nothing would be a decent upgrade over a practice amp if thats what he has to spend imo.

you need a little more money, and be willing to buy used amps if possible.

yes but buying used amps comes with a chance that it will mess up, break and used amps don't come with waranties. if he's looking for a practise amp, i might suggest getting a Peavey MicroBass, 15 watt amp. it's one practise amp that i have.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
The GK's are looking good, and I dont mean only "new" amps, used are always fine too. Will the GK's work for gigs too? The clubs around here arent that big, really.
^ The GK 110 is 70W if I remember correctly and the 112 is 100W so the 112 would be a better bet for a gigging amp but the 110 is ok too, 70W is good as long as the people he plays with (I assume he's in a band) dont have like 4x12 half stacks...If they also use small combos then he should be alright though I recommend the 112 because its a 112 and because it has more power...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
I disagree. The 112 might be good if he's in with a group of acoustic dudes, for instance, but if you want to gig with a band you'll need maybe a 115 or a 210.
haha
Well, I have played several gigs with my SWR Workingmans 12 combo (120 watts) and I must say it has performed beyond my expectations and I've even been told to turn it down on several occasions (without plugging into the PA)...And I dont play with acoustic dudes...But I cant say I've ever played with the GK so I guess you're right about that 112...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."