Hey, I have a Crate FXT 120 Combo amp and I was wondering if anyone knew the settings I should put it on to get a Metallica sound. I've looked at all the other posts, but none have the settings, so I figured I'd ask for myself. I know alot of you people dont like Crate amps, but I really don't care, so please leave your complaining about Crate amps off this topic please. Anyway, any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

~Missionary
Ultimate settings thread. Not just ragging on Crate... but you wont get the sound with it... or probably anything close.
Well, what about just like a good thrash/metal sound? Anyone know how to get that?
My Gear

Jackson JS30RR Rhoads Signature
Peavey Raptor 1
Albanine Strat model
Crate FXT120 Combo
Crate GX15
Marshall G10.MKII
Quote by Missionary
Hey, I have a Crate FXT 120 Combo amp and I was wondering if anyone knew the settings I should put it on to get a Metallica sound. I've looked at all the other posts, but none have the settings, so I figured I'd ask for myself. I know alot of you people dont like Crate amps, but I really don't care, so please leave your complaining about Crate amps off this topic please. Anyway, any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

~Missionary

As said before, you are not going to get their sound through your amp. If you want their sound, you are going to need a new amp. Maybe head over to your local store and try out a metal zone? You arent going go make that sound with your Crate amp, a pedal wont even do it but it would be closer than just the amp's dirty channel.

If you start saving, a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier will be able to push out that tone.
Last edited by philter25 at Jun 21, 2006,
If you want real good metal tone, you just won't get it with that amp. Try mids at around 3 and bass and treble at 7 each and tweak from there if you must try though. I'd advise a new amp, guitar isn't nearly as important.
Good amp + bad guitar = decent tone.
Bad amp + great guitar = crap tone.

Try Mesa/Boogie for metallica's stuff since that what they've mainly used. My Mark IV nails the puppets tone but you've got to be willing to pay the cash for that kind of tone.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join.