Page 1 of 2
Yeah I've been playing the guitar for 8 years and I can play songs like Wake me up when September Ends, Blood Stains, and American Idiot. I play live gigs with my friends Mike and Peter and we're kind of a big deal in our city. I've been practicing these songs so much that I practically got almost all of them down. We're all getting tired of playing these songs, any suggestions? Should I learn something new or what because I have no clue what to do anymore.
You have been playing for 8 years and that's all you play? American Idiot? No offense, dude, but I've been playing only 2 years, and I play stuff way more advanced than that.
Just focus on being as tight as you are with the band. It's better to play something simple as a band, where everyone knows what everyone else is doing, rather than having certain people doing very well in one part but while some other people don't do as great.
^me too, that's 8 years wasted for you....try Mr. Crowley also
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
8 years? youve gotta be ****ting me. sounds like stuff you should be able to play perfecly after 8 weeks (tops).
ya dude ive been playin for 6 months and that crap is just easy power chords and basic solos. try something like the trooper by iron maiden or electric eye by judas priest
DRAGONFORCE and Michael Angelo Batio > you
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.

oh wait...
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
I think that he means that he has just owned a guitar for 8 years, not actually played for 8 years. I mean, that must suck to play 8 years and only play American Idiot...

Why are you asking for a challenge? I monkey could make up something more challenging than Green Day could ever put out. Just listen to any given song on the radio, and there is a 99% chance that it will be harder than Greenday.
try some blink 182 they have some crazy hard stuff going ons... way harder than green day, pretty much the hardest stuff going round
ive been playing for 11 months and can play that, try some system of a down its fun
Quote by unplugtheradio
sometimes people sig me, dont tell me, and i see it later. its a weird feeling.

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
There's Black Amish People that use computer's
Quote by coquet
8 years? youve gotta be ****ting me. sounds like stuff you should be able to play perfecly after 8 weeks (tops).

*8 days.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Quote by bobby5
Yeah I've been playing the guitar for 8 years and I can play songs like Wake me up when September Ends, Blood Stains, and American Idiot. I play live gigs with my friends Mike and Peter and we're kind of a big deal in our city. I've been practicing these songs so much that I practically got almost all of them down. We're all getting tired of playing these songs, any suggestions? Should I learn something new or what because I have no clue what to do anymore.

youve been playing for 8 years and all you can play is green day songs?my friend who has been playing guitar for 3 months can play wake me up when september ends and american idiot.......green day sucks!!!

this is what i would do to them if i saw them on the street :
Last edited by sexybeast101 at Jun 21, 2006,
lol. bobby5 is full of ****.

he says he's kind of a "big deal" in his city. haha. yeah right. and i'll cut off my nuts of you ever played a live gig and didn't get destroyed by an angry crowd who hates ****ty music.
To the guy that said I've only owned the guitar for 8 years, I bought the guitar 8 years ago and been playing since I got it. Just because you people can play hard songs from bands like Blink 182, doesnt make you any better than me so back off.
if you want a challenge then try anything by Children of Bodom,Metallica,Iron Maiden, or Pantera

if you've been playing for 8 years and are successful playing simple things like that, why change? thats the stuff that sells, people dont make it these days being proficient or creative, the money makers are simple and concise.
try steve vai's under it all on 7 strin electric that should be a challenge but not really since yo've been playin for 8 years i've been playin for 8 months and i can play and learn anything i want
Quote by bobby5
To the guy that said I've only owned the guitar for 8 years, I bought the guitar 8 years ago and been playing since I got it. Just because you people can play hard songs from bands like Blink 182, doesnt make you any better than me so back off.

since when were any blink 182 songs actually hard?
Quote by unplugtheradio
sometimes people sig me, dont tell me, and i see it later. its a weird feeling.

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
There's Black Amish People that use computer's
ok dude what the message clearly is if those songs by green day are all you know 8 years of guitar?! i mean ok try out canon rock by jerry c search it its a great song and will definitely provide you with a challenge theres a perfect tab for guitar on ug so yeah and dont turn this into a bashing thread hes lookin for a challenge
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Quote by bobby5

not to offend or be mean, but go throw yourself in front of a train. you're either crying out for attention or you're very ****.
Quote by bobby5

I'm sorry if this makes me an asshole, but SIGGED!
But to take my asshole level down a notch, look at some easier RHCP stuff.
Last edited by El Codyo at Jun 21, 2006,
It doesn't matter how long you've been playing, you're constantly learning. I've been playing for close to 10 years gand I'm still learning something new everyday. If you really want to ive yourself some challenge, stay away from any of the punk, pop punk, surf punk ..etc. Play some hard rock or old school rock n' roll like um..guns' n roses, poison, tesla, acdc .......etc. oh what the heck even some blues. That should keep you busy for awhile. If you're metal fan, some metallica would be a challenge. Just one piece of advise, don't limit yourself to certain genre of music, try to listen variety genre of music, it will make you a better guitar players. If you spent 8 years of your life playing guitar and all you can play is green day songs, I'm gonna have to agree with everyone here. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone here, but for 8 years of playing you should be able to play more that just green day. No hard feeling buddy, but keep on rocking.
yeah try bed of razors by children of bodom..that should give another 16 years of playing in ya.......but..dude.....i have a hard time beliving you've playing 8 years..mabey 8 days, weeks...mabey...just mabey...8 months

try: nirvana....i learned alot of stuff when i first started playing guitar
white stripes.....umm...yeha
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
OK so my blink 182 sugestion didnt go over well (and yeah i was kidding) but im jsut gonna throw it out there. if you really want a challenge, two words "ROD STEWART"
damn dude that kinda sucks man, greenday songs take one night to learn maybe even an hour, eight years................
This guy is obviously playing all you elitists like a fiddle. It's hilarious.

And just remember: Green Day has been around for over 10 years playing nothing harder than Green Day songs, but people still buy their albums by the truckload. So perhaps playing difficulty isn't the be all, end all of music... hmmm...
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Jearl
try writing your own stuff...that way, even if its easy, it wont matter

Seriously, this guy has a point. Green Day makes a fourtune ot of playing their songs. The general public don't care about how the songs are to play, they just think they sound good. So write your own stuff, doesn't matter how easy it is to play, the true challenge is writing it. Belive me
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
I know im prolly gonna be bashed for this but Coheed and Cambria.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
some guy suggested easier rhcp stuff. i agree try that.

it would be hilarious if dirks right. and dirks usually always right.

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Seriously, this guy has a point. Green Day makes a fourtune ot of playing their songs. The general public don't care about how the songs are to play, they just think they sound good. So write your own stuff, doesn't matter how easy it is to play, the true challenge is writing it. Belive me

Yeah but then guitar companys, you will never get a signature guitar. You will never be looked up to as a role model.

I have a hard ass time believing that you've been playing for 8 years and all you can play is Green Day. Impossible, I played for like a month and learned "American Idiot". No harmful feelings but that is really, really sad. In 8 years you should be shredding up some Yngwie or Vai, not Green Day (They dont even alternative pick for christs sake)

To not be a complete penis in the face, I suggest some: Metallica, CKY, HIM, Iron Maiden, Kiss, The Offspring... thats all I can think of.

Also, you suck, big time, how are you a big deal in your city if all you can play is Green Day, is your whole city a society follower? Do they go along with whats "in"? The notes on the guitar are EADGBe just to let you know, and take off the GB and e strings since all you play are powerchords.
Who cares how easy the stuff the guy plays ? If he enjoys playing stuff (even if its really easy technically) I say go for it! Give the guy a break and let him learn what he wants. Plus its the bands that play the easier stuff that get the most sucess anyway.

As for what to learn, just learn the songs you've been liking recently.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Page 1 of 2