i dont know if this is the right place for this thread, but a friend of mine who has assloads of money is getting a custom gibson les paul made, and he knows absolutely nothing about pickups or what kind to get. he doesnt know what kind of wood the guitar will be made of and he plays "anything from lynyrd skynyrd to metallica" what kind of pickups should he get and the price doesnt really matter hes rich, and hes completely open to suggestions
Quote by unplugtheradio
sometimes people sig me, dont tell me, and i see it later. its a weird feeling.

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
There's Black Amish People that use computer's
EMG pickups

and tell him to get mahogany

and maybe its just me, but if he plays, he should know this stuff, so it almost smells like... nope not teen spirit, i'm talking about bull ****. not saying your a liar, its just that something doesn't sound right.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Last edited by kurt_cobain9 at Jun 21, 2006,
Plenty of people can play an instrument handed to them without having ever cared about the details.

I've been playing bass for 5 years, and if you asked my anything about pickups and EQ and ****, I wouldn't know what to tell you. I just haven't been exposed to enough of what I'd need to know.
hes been playing for 8 months, doesnt know anything and thinks i know everything hes fifteen and has a job and no bills and gets paid his dads social security because the guys dead, he has the money for it and is a slash fan so thats what hes spending his money on
Quote by unplugtheradio

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
Either your lying, or your friend is a spoiled bitch who happens to be retatarded. He is getting a custom LP made, yet he doesn't know what wood it's made of? He is getting a custom LP made, yet he has no idea what pickups to get? Let me guess, he'll be playing through a Diezel VH-4 too.
read my last post, he has money and nothing to do with it and HE is paying for it not his parents and dont call people you dont know retarded, he didnt know what kind of wood or pickups to get so he asked for advise
Quote by unplugtheradio

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
Well he is wasting his money, he probably won't be able to tell the difference in a custom shop Les Paul and an Epi LP standard. If you just learned how to put you car in drive and press the go pedal, you shouldn't spend ridiculous money on a Ferarri Enzo, the same principle applies here. Plus, the money could be going towards something better.
well actually every Les Paul is made of Mahagony with a flame or quilted maple top

and don't get EMG pickups, get Gibson's 57 classics, they're great, whereas EMGs only work in high gain situations. Pros use EMGs to keep their sound clean when they have loads of distortion and/or effects.
I love P90s too, but you won't get that metal your looking for

but if he wants perfect metal, and if he can afford it, he should buy a second guitar just for metal, ie any guitar with good high output humbuckers, and maybe a floyd rose.
Than you need a greet strat, a "must have "in any collection, and finally a shred style guitar made of basswood, like the wonderful Satriani signature

so yeah anyway get Gibson '57 classics, or if he can get another guitar for heavier stuff, get P90s
Quote by El Codyo
Well he is wasting his money, he probably won't be able to tell the difference in a custom shop Les Paul and an Epi LP standard. If you just learned how to put you car in drive and press the go pedal, you shouldn't spend ridiculous money on a Ferarri Enzo, the same principle applies here. Plus, the money could be going towards something better.

but if you had enough money for the ferarri and no bills, why not?
Quote by unplugtheradio

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
Because it's a waste of money... that's the only thing I don't like about America, some people have more money than they know what to do with, and some live off of ****ing dog food, but I won't turn this into a political thread. I just think it's stupid to buy stuff that you don't need. He's been playing 8 months, he doesn't need a custom built Les Paul. Most people that buy custom shop gear know exactly what they are looking for, how bright they wan't their tone, how thick they like their neck, little stuff like that, and your friend doesn't even know an exact style, or even what wood to order. I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, I'm just coming across as one. But your friend wouldn't benefit a whole lot getting the custom shop Les Paul over a good Epi.
Quote by El Codyo
Because it's a waste of money... that's the only thing I don't like about America, some people have more money than they know what to do with, and some live off of ****ing dog food, but I won't turn this into a political thread. I just think it's stupid to buy stuff that you don't need. He's been playing 8 months, he doesn't need a custom built Les Paul. Most people that buy custom shop gear know exactly what they are looking for, how bright they wan't their tone, how thick they like their neck, little stuff like that, and your friend doesn't even know an exact style, or even what wood to order. I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, I'm just coming across as one. But your friend wouldn't benefit a whole lot getting the custom shop Les Paul over a good Epi.

I think the guy is jealous that someone who is not very experience in playing guitar yet be able to afford a CUSTOM SHOP GIBSON LES PAUL. It's ok let the rich kid do what they want with their money, that's the only way they will learn. Spend the money and regret later. Anywho, most (if not all) Gibson Les Paul has mahogony body with maple top (if i'm not wrong), set mahogany neck with either rosewood or ebony fingerboard. as for pick up wise I would say the 57 classics(PAF) would be sweet pickups, but if you want high ouput go for the 500T for bridge and 496R for neck or better yet Dirty Finger for the bridge and w/e you like for neck. I won't really recommend EMG active pick up, well for myself anyway, is great pick ups for high gain stuff like metallica or any metal, but the whole changing the batteries thing is a real pain in the ass, and for the pick ups to really shine you will need some really good high gain tube amp. But if he is a hardcore slash fan i would recommend the seymour duncan alnico II pro for that warm smooth sound. Anyway ultimately you have to try the pick ups and use your ear to judge and pick what you like, everyone has their own taste. For me I like the warm, smooth, sparkling clean tones, yet got some edge to it. rock n' roll