Can someone give me a few examples of Satch / Vai songs to listen to..

tbh i don't know any vai songs.. and i only know surfing with the alien from satch. I just wanna see if I can get into their music, and obviously trying to learn it would be a big improvement technique-wise.

There's a song by one of them that has a great tapping riff.. i think it's all on the G string.. maybe B.. and it starts at the lower frets and works it's way up that string.. but sounds incredible! (if you have any ides on what that song is, pleeeassee let me know!!!)
ESP LTD EX-400
Ibanez S520EX w/ Swineshead Venom + Condor
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster Blackout w/ DM Tone Zone + SD 59'
Peavey XXX 60w
I don't know of the tapping song you're referring to.

Anyway, here's some of my favorites by the two:

Vai - Bad Horsie, Building the Church, Giant Balls of Gold, Fire Garden Suite, For the Love of God, Juice, Jibboom, The Crying Machine, Principessa

Satch - The Extremist, Mind Storm, Ice 9, Devil's Slide, Mountain Song, Up in Flames, the Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing (not kidding)

You might also try searching their names on GoogleVideo and YouTube. They've got some great live stuff.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
thanks I was expecting someone to just reply with "this should be in the vai only thread" lol

p.s. it's not a tapping song.. it's just a normal song with an amazing tapping riff in it
Last edited by p2fyre at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by p2fyre

p.s. it's not a tapping song.. it's just a normal song with an amazing tapping riff in it

maybe it's Satriani's "Satch Boogie"...
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
^ Yeah that has a big Tapping section on it which kind of works its way up the neck... And id say the Satch Boogie riff is fairly easy to learn if you wanted to learn some Satch. Also try Midnight and Day at the Beach, there not too difficult.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Thats van halen, not satch or vai. It's considerably easier too It's from a tune called eruption.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
I'll just throw in one from each:

Vai - Tender Surrender

Satch - Is There Love In Space?
i've heard of eruption but i've only heard bits of it.. did he play the full thing? or is that mixtures of songs?
p.s. is he playing it well? (i.e. can i use it to help me learn to play it)
No, he's not playing it well, and no, he didn't play the full thing.

Don't bother... It's crap, and I believe pretty much everyone in here thinks the same way.

You're better off learning something like Midnight.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Eruption is overrated as a whole "song" (well its basically 2 minutes of pentatonic wanking), though the tapping part is really easy if you want something to get you going.
It was the first tapping lick I learnt (in less than half an hour) when I first figured out how to do it...
oh right... i think i'll learn the tapping part but not the rest of it.. my guitars don't have whammy bars anyway.

I'm just looking for more technical stuff to improve my technique + accuracy
My personal favourites are...

Vai - Whispering A Prayer.

Satch - Always With Me, Always With You.
Joe - Surfing With The Alien.

Steve - For The Love Of God, Salamanders In The Sun, Fire Garden Suite
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Vai - Tender Surrender, For the Love of God (can't remember if there's tapping here, Building the Church has definitely tapping.
Satch - Ice 9, Midnight, lotus Feet
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
Vai - Tender Surrender, For the Love of God (can't remember if there's tapping here, Building the Church has definitely tapping.
Satch - Ice 9, Midnight, lotus Feet

no tapping ftlog i think, but excellent songs.

also, vai did lotus feet, not satch. sure you knew that.
the reaper is another awesome song by Vai

and Whispering a Prayer is great as well...as Johnljones said
satch- crushing day, always with me always with you, mystical potato head groove thing, and my personal favorite, starry night. starry night is really easy too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!