mines XXCGCF, I play a bit of slide now and again,

Isn't CGCFAD dropped C, like system of a down and POD?

(really hate dropped D lazy b*****ds.)
Joe Walsh = one of the best legends in the history of the world.
heheheheh!!!!!

damn, wheres the eagles avatar?
Standard E. For some reason it always sounds crisp, clean and neat. It's a very tight sound.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
yeah!!

i wonder how they decided to standardise the tuning EADGBE,
suppose maybe the classical guitaring comes into it?
Joe Walsh = one of the best legends in the history of the world.
heheheheh!!!!!

damn, wheres the eagles avatar?
Edit: for the joewalsh post.
Who knows.. It's like asking who decided that the notes E/F and B/C don't have half-steps (well, that's the hz deciding), but who, like, decided that that's the correct way to write it and not E#/Fb and B#/Cb (damn, that looks weird). It's just standards that gradually appear I guess, as it became more and more pratical and used.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
i like different tunings it depends on the song i'm writing or playing. my normal tuning is dropped D flat Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. I do CGCFAD i do EADGBE i do Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb i like flat tunings it give a dark sound and that matches my lyrics perfectly. i also do
B F# B E G# C#. all sorts of tunings like i said it depends on the song i'm playing or writing
I like low drop-tunings put i love open tunings like open G for acoustic sounds.
i wonder how they decided to standardise the tuning EADGBE,
suppose maybe the classical guitaring comes into it?

It has alot to do with classical guitar, a little with the blues too. Standard tuning is probably EADGBE because the intervals (mostly fourths) allow for all classical scales to be fretted as efficiently as possible, with about three notes per string. If most of the intervals between strings are larger than a fourth, you need to play classical scales with four or more notes per string if you want to stay in one possition. Obviously, this requires alot more stretching than three notes per string. If the intervals between strings are smaller than a fourth, you end up getting less than three notes per string, which would really slow you down if you were zipping up and down classical scales (tuning in all major thirds actually makes chromatic and whole tone scales much easier to play, but those scales shouldn't be used too often so tuning to accomidate them is pretty useless). Also, EADGBE are all the notes in the E minor pentatonic scale, EGABDE, and everyone guitarist knows the pentatonic scale fits very well into standard tuning. Basically, standard tuning is the best for running scales; alternate tunings are more useful for getting different chord voicings, playing fingerstyle, and playing slide.
Now what were we talking about again? Oh yeah...one of my favorite tunings in the one Jimmy Page uses in the Rain Song...CGCGCD...or you can just go open C: CGCGCE. Both are really useful for slide because of all the parallel octaves.
Last edited by poopikins at Jun 21, 2006,