I got my first guitar when i was in 3rd grade ( A hondo), in 95/96 i dont remember what year, was around in there, and only my second 2 years ago (Fender Telecaster) and recently picked up guitar pretty heavily about a year ago, and really started to actually attempt playing it, (graduated high school 2 years ago) I guess you could call me self educated, never took lessons, know nothing really about guitars, just play. all the loud songs by Something Corporate, all american rejects, green day i can play, with the basic power chord, some beatles, ventures, the shadows, and random songs like away from the sun and such... so i recently started moving into instrumental music, like ventures/ shadows/ and now Ozielzinho is my freakin god, and if you know any of his stuff (www.ozielzinho.com.br) he plays lightning fast (or is it?) I guess its called fast picking, where hes going

...........................................14-15-17
............................. 14-15-17
..............13-15-17 ETC ETC.
13-15-17

super fast, and I want to be able to do this now, its my next challenge, so i was wanting some pointers, on how can this be done if your fingers cant naturally just do it? I can take my left hand and tap the table pinky to index finger naturally, but i cannot do it in reverse on a guitar naturally, i have to force it.

all help is appreciated
Trust me, it just takes some practice... well good luck with that
practice, practice and practice... it will come.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I believe you mean shredding.

I, am quite an amature shredder at the moment, only been really playing shred for about 6 months, and playing guitar 4 1/2 years. I'm not really as good as this person, although, with practice, i will get the, as will you.

So the best way to start is to learn some scales, some chromatic exercises and practice practice, WITH A METRONOME! If you dont have one, you can go onto http://www.metronomeonline.com/ and theres one there.

Really concentrate on the way you fingers are moving on the fretborad and on the strings with the picking hand. Make sure you dont lift you fingers too high off the fretboard after playing each note and dont move your whole amr whilst piucking, only your wrist otherwise you'll get tendonitus.

Look up on the lessons here at ultimate guitar for shred to get started on some exercises.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
thanks all, appreciate it, I guess my question was more oriented to IF it was possible for some and NOT for others =) but practicing is a must for everything that has to do with instruments anyway, no getting past that, appreciate the link bobs
relax your picking hand a lot
practise
get control over the picking, make it solid.
Just keep practicing and your fingers will get used to the movement. I've been playing for 2 years and I am also 100% self taught. I'm 16 and I think I'm pretty decent for my age and the time I've been playing. But you also gotta' love the guitar, I play it roughly 4 - 5 hrs a day. I'm still working on my 6 string sweeps...those take practice...keep at it and your get it. Go on youtube and watch some Paul Gilbert instructional vids and he'll teach you some simple Pentatonic licks that can be played **** fast and sound amazing. Keep practicing stuff like that and you'll get better. Good luck to you...
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Guys, we're not in the Pit.

As in, masturbating is no longer considered a viable alternative to practicing your guitar.
Quote by redaxe
Just keep practicing and your fingers will get used to the movement. I've been playing for 2 years and I am also 100% self taught. I'm 16 and I think I'm pretty decent for my age and the time I've been playing. But you also gotta' love the guitar, I play it roughly 4 - 5 hrs a day. I'm still working on my 6 string sweeps...those take practice...keep at it and your get it. Go on youtube and watch some Paul Gilbert instructional vids and he'll teach you some simple Pentatonic licks that can be played **** fast and sound amazing. Keep practicing stuff like that and you'll get better. Good luck to you...

Nice! Thanks

Tapping? NO! I must do it properly! I do everything else... not.. properly, so I might as well start ;P
Quote by MetalMilitia212
you can always tap it. Thats what I do for mind bustingly fast shredding.

or you could fake it..

oh, wait..
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

just start reli reli slow and gradually get faster and faster thats the best bit of advice I have ever been given for guitar. Even if it takes you hours to master playing it at half speed just persevere and go for it!
The metronome bit is the most standard thing to getting used to playing fast. Start slow then gradually build up speed. I'd say practice on a song than some chromatic exercise, although these help too.

One more thing is to practice alternate picking on all picked notes and muting on sweeps. When tapping, remember to keep to the count of the metronome, as people make the mistake of just tapping as fast as they can, not minding the count.

Just Practice Alternate Picking...try to get to a point where you're alternate-picking so much that you CAN'T Play without alternate picking...

for every Down-Stroke you do with the pick...when you bring it (back) up, do an up-stroke too...

start out doing it on only ONE string
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
To play that fast and well, you first have to be able to play it slow and well and
most importantly with no excess tension.

But, there's really a lot more to it than just being able to play it slowly and well.
The thing is, at slow speeds, you can compensate for bad technique and tension.
You have enough time to do that. At faster speeds you don't have the time.

One of the best practice techniques to master is Isolating The Movements.
Analyse all the movements you'll need to make and break it down into smaller
and smaller chunks until you have an absolute minimum of notes you need
to reproduce the same movement. Then, invent an excercise that repeats just
that movement over and over and over again.

For instance, in the example you gave, one of the things you have to do
is pick from one string to the next. If you're going to economy pick it, you should
invent an exercise that does a 2-string sweep on all strings. Limit the exercise
to just the sweep. If you're going to alternate pick it, you'll need work on your
inside and outside picking. You may find that even that isn't broken down
enough. Perhaps there is something even more fundamentally wrong in
your picking technique that prevents you from doing the simple excercises well.
In that case, you may have to drill down to something even more fundamental --
like how you hold the pick.

By isolating like that, you work down to your most basic problems and then
work your way back up. It may seem like a lot of work to fix every little basic
problem just to learn 1 riff, but over time you fix all the basic stuff and then find
everything else becomes easier.
Much Obliged, keeping it all in mind, starting slow did seem to help a bit, i can play it faster than i could when trying to play it fast over and over until i started to get it by starting out slower
Quote by Invictious
Masturbating everyday is seriously your only way out if you don't practice regularly.

sigged

the sad thing is spankin it really does help
Quote by unplugtheradio
sometimes people sig me, dont tell me, and i see it later. its a weird feeling.

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
There's Black Amish People that use computer's
Everyday,i swear seeing this thread every 5 minutes....like said,lotsa practice and practise with a metronome
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
As many other people have said, practice and use a metronome. Start off slow and slowly build your way up. Don't expect your picking to start increasing overnight. Takes a while. In addition, practice several different exercises. Try picking one string, then picking between two strings and so on. Get some variety going to develop your picking as much as possible. One good exercise to start off with is the chromatic scale. Just do 1-2-3-4 2-3-4-5 3-4-5-6 then mixing it up by doing the 1-2-3-4 on each string, moving up a fret and so on.
Here is another exercise that I think is really helpful

---------11--------
-7-9-10-----10-9--

Play it on any 2 strings and change it up. The point is to have 3 notes on 1 string and 1 note and a string below it. Try and emphasize the upstroke on the other string. To sum up, you must have patience. Try not to push yourself too hard and build your way up to things slowly, don't try and do them as fast as you can at first because you will most likely just be reinforcing sloppy technique.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Quote by Invictious
Masturbating everyday is seriously your only way out if you don't practice regularly.

I should be miles ahead of jemi hendrix by now then!?!?