I'm having a little bit of trouble with my band... or at least with their parents. See, things have started looking up for us. We were recently offered a contract from an independant record label and we've been offered gigs left, right and centre. However, there is one thing that is standing in our way- our drummer and bassist's parents.

See, they're the more protective, right-wing type. They've been very apprehensive about the record contract, not wanting to 'sell their children on', and very evasive about gigging and recording (seemingly trying to find 'other arrangements' so we have to cancel. I know they don't want their kids playing in clubs and stuff.) What also annoys me is that I'm not really sure that their parents are too comfortable with me being around. It's just something I can tell by the way they act around me. Yeah, sure, a guy with shoulder-length blue-black hair and a load of piercings isn't exactly going to be someone you can take home o your right-wing parents, but I think I've done enough to earn their trust, even when I get told off for swearing in their house (this isn't ****, it's damn...). I really want to go that step further musically, and it seems like it's only my parents who are supportive of us having a music career (my mum's an ex-A&R scout for EMI, my stepdad's an ex-roadie), and they've suggested that I form a new band.

I don't knwow ah to do, since the drummer and bassist in my band are also my friends, no matter how restricted they are by their parents. I know another drummer, and she's into the same music as I am (AFI, Tiger Army, Misfits, Gotham Road, Osaka Popstar), unlike the members in my other band who are less into that sort of thing.

Help me out here guys...
It's their choice. If they don't want their children's future to be in a band then let it be.

PS. Misfits R00L!!
Tell them they're making a big mistake and that their dreams won't come true because their sons/daughters will not not be succesful and won't make them lots and lots of money.
Have a talk with them and their parents, explain your views, talk about how its all really a good thing. Try your best.

If it doesn't work, I'm afraid you're gonna have to have the talk with your friends about their future in the band.
I've had a talk with their parents and they just don't understand. Since it'll leave me as the only one in the band I think I should just take the 'back way' out and start a new band... and just gradually let the other one fade away.
No Way! If you're really gonna end your band, end it with a bang! Do the most excellent show you have ever done and put your bandmates' parents in the best seats and maybe, just maybe you will be able to continue on. Oh, and try playing some classic rock just so their parents will ease off a bit.
mrsmurder go die you gay fagget. Yeh anyways, I agree with Cheesepuff, show em how much you ROCK !!!
Quote by Cheesepuff
It's their choice. If they don't want their children's future to be in a band then let it be.

That stupid to say that. I dont know what parents you have both I'll make damm sure that my parent wont hold me back from my dream. its not their job to prevent their own child from ever reaching a dream and any parent that do that and think they are good parent are bad parents!
Thing is, their over-protective parents are pissing on my dreams too, and as far as I know these kids are in other bands anyway... it's such a ****ty situation.
How old are you guys? If you're being offered deals before you're 18, then just chill for a few years until they don't have to listen to their parents. Then you can go make records and play shows all you want.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
me and the bassist are 16, and the drummer's 14. Their parents really baby them though.
really try your best to convince the parents of the importance of this--it is a genuinely rare opportunity and if you guys miss it, you'll regret it forever. compromise and arrange for certain guidelines for your young bandmates, like, have them maintain a lot of communication with the parents, don't let them go to parties that they're too young for, and have them promise to keep up with school. Also, if you guys are really going to be coming into some money, hire an independent manager, hired by you, not the record label, (that the parents can help choose) that really knows the ins and outs of the music industry and who can protect you guys from being ripped off and keep the young guys out of trouble. if all else fails, ask if perhaps the drummer can go when he's 16 or something. but jump on this if you can, the label probably won't wait long for you.
Friends parents = dumbasses
But what I don't get is "We were recently offered a contract from an independant record label and we've been offered gigs left, right and centre."
If your bandmates were controlled that much by their parents then you must be around 13-17 I doubt your band being offered a contract at that age.
Well, HollowImprints, indie labels aren't as hard to get as major labels. My last band was on an indie label, but a ****ty one at that.

Dude, that is total **** about them not letting your friends play in clubs, bars, etc. Actually bars are one of the best places you can play. I've never had any problems with parents not wanting their kids playing in bars and clubs, so I can't really say. Just really talk to them, sit down and talk with each of them.
just do all the gigs and record labels behind the other members' parents' backs. itll all work out, because by the time the parents find out you havent really been at mcDonald's every friday night for 5 hours, you'll be famous, and theyll have no choice but to let you continue. or tell them that you must take this opportunity or you will never get rich, and there is a chance you actually WILL get rich. and tell them that if you wait until you are all 18 and over to do this, your style of music will have already entered a new era and you wont become popular due to the ever changing preferences of teenagers who dont know what type of music they really like. or have the kids get emancipated or whatever and have your parents adopt them. or kill their parents. or have their parents come with you guys like everywhere you go, gigs, recording, etc. anything they dont want their 14 and 16 year old kids doing with strange adults that they dont know.
its not their job to prevent their own child from ever reaching a dream

It is if those dreams will likely completely ruin the child future. The duty of the parent is to protect the child, not to worship the childs self-esteem.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Dude, nobody's mentioned this yet: have your parents talk to them and have them see your parents' view and hopefully they will see it's not so bad.
well since nobody has asked what label and what band are you in? if its a ****ty label, pass
Have rough sex with them, gain their trust.

Then tell them you put pin-holes in the condom.
We're cool with their parents and everything now... EP's due out late August/early September!
yeah, how'd you manage? also, be sure to hook us up with a sample eh?
Quote by Revhain
yeah, how'd you manage? also, be sure to hook us up with a sample eh?

Indeed. Hooba want hear
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Right wing people love money more than anything else - tell their parents that if they play gigs they will get lots of money every week. It should work.

edit - a bit late. sorry lol
It was just a matter of telling them that the reality of the band lifestyle isn't all sex and drugs and stuff (in fact if I catch any member of the band doing that stuff, they're out. I know that Kieran sees me as an older brother, and his parents trust me to keep him away from that crap), and that there's no point in not letting our talents NOT get recognised. They agreed with me. And I said that my lyrics are very personal to me, and that I can't be expected to change them, especially as they don't contain a single swear word (pointless swearing's just stupid).

We've decided on the tracklisting for the EP and stuff, and it's looking rather good. I'll post samples up when we're released from the studio!

Black Rose EP

1) Black Rose
2) The Underpass
3) Hydrospace
4) Monolith
5) Anarchy Heart

The Underpass and Anarchy Heart look set to be the singles.
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Jun 23, 2006,
Cool man congrats and the best of luck to you and the band
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by OpposingForce
Right wing people love money more than anything else - tell their parents that if they play gigs they will get lots of money every week. It should work.
To imply that money is the only thing parents care about regarding their children is a simplistic, asinine crock. If you ever grow up you'll find out for yourself how true this is. I've pounded stages all over the US and Europe and I've raised two children to adulthood, so I have some credibility, I think. I've seen the "drugs, sex and rock 'n roll" life destroy children, marriages and careers. Stop your whining and give parents, left-wing and right, some respect. I absolutely guarantee you being a parent is several orders of magnitude tougher than anything you have ever even contemplated. Shut up and grow up.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by OpposingForce

edit - a bit late. sorry lol

We have a political thread in the pit, take your baseless and wrong political opinions there.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by gpb0216
Shut up and grow up.

I don't think you'll be getting the respect you want when you tell people what to do like that. Man that's funny, "shut up and grow up."

P.S. Congrats on the EP!
Quote by gpb0216
To imply that money is the only thing parents care about regarding their children is a simplistic, asinine crock. If you ever grow up you'll find out for yourself how true this is. I've pounded stages all over the US and Europe and I've raised two children to adulthood, so I have some credibility, I think. I've seen the "drugs, sex and rock 'n roll" life destroy children, marriages and careers. Stop your whining and give parents, left-wing and right, some respect. I absolutely guarantee you being a parent is several orders of magnitude tougher than anything you have ever even contemplated. Shut up and grow up.

It wasn't intended as a remark toward parents (of course I respect my own parents I know there job is tough). It was more of a political crack. Lighten up jeez
Last edited by OpposingForce at Jun 23, 2006,
This is a really rare oppurtunity for your band! It would be such a shame for you to let it slip away. My suggestion is either you work on your first EP/album while still in school (to satisfy the parents) or you take a "break" from school for long enough to make an album. That way if it turns out in two years that you guys aren't going anywhere, you can still go back to school.

Remember, this decision will affect you and your bandmates for the rest of your lives.
I should really talk to the rest of the band about making this EP an album... there's a load more tracks that I want to release like White Label Halo and Ouroboros...
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Are you guys a Cambridge band?

If you're talking about Cambridge, UK... then yes.
Is there any chnce of getting a copy if you live in the U.S.
Ha Ha Your insperation comes from my BOOTY!!!!