Hey just wondering what peoples thoughts are about buying amps online, specifically ebay, because here in Ireland I'm having trouble finding a good (valve) amp, even used, for any kind of a decent price....so I'm just considering it, any thoughts?

I'm considering a Laney LC15, its the only amp I MIGHT be able to buy here new, but I'm looking for an amp that will cover anything from Metallica and Pantera to GnR and Satriani, Santana....

Thanks
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
^Welcome to my world, I usually buy from www.thomann.com or www.musicstore.com, see for us Irish buying from ebay you'd be adding another 100-150 euro because of tax duties and vat so really its not worth it from ebay, check out those 2 websites and delivery is really cheap!!
they still seem to be pretty expensive, because like I said new is really expensive....for me anyway

Just as a matter of interest, if your irish, why does it say your location is Florida?

Thanks for the help
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

yeah i knew that anyway but thanks
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Ebay is fine for purchases. I bought almost every piece of my gear from ebay. Just make sure the seller:

Make sure you ask alot of question, regardless of how stupid they may seem.
    E
    Buying from ebay is fine. I bought my Mark IV on ebay and had no prblems. Didn't pay duty either as it was marked as a gift . Just make sure the seller has a good rating and go for it. Only deal through ebay though, not outside because if you do you're more at risk.

Good luck.
    Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join.
    thanks, because I saw a Marshall JCM head for example, for like 500 euros, and I'm not gonna get it this time, but if another good opportunity comes along I'll probably go for it...amps are SO expensive in Ireland, as it EVERYTHING else

Thanks
    Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
    Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Yeah I purchased an amp on eBay...should be arriving today actually so I'll let you know how it all works out.

Quote by supermc
    Hey just wondering what peoples thoughts are about buying amps online, specifically ebay, because here in Ireland I'm having trouble finding a good (valve) amp, even used, for any kind of a decent price....so I'm just considering it, any thoughts?

I'm considering a Laney LC15, its the only amp I MIGHT be able to buy here new, but I'm looking for an amp that will cover anything from Metallica and Pantera to GnR and Satriani, Santana....

Thanks

*** CAVEAT EMPTOR ***

if a deal on THE auction site looks too good to be true...
    make sure the seller gleefully answers any and all questions in great detail, no matter how stupid or technical. request a phone number so you can talk to the seller. if he/she is legit this should be of no concern to either party. either side can be burned by a potential scammer so the seller has just as much at stake as you.

good luck. i just got a Boogie 50 cal. for $575 us. Needs all new tubes, but that to me is a very minor issue