I've been playing the guitar for just over a year now on a fender strat with a tiny 15W amp, and I think it's about time I got something I can play and be happy with. I'm aiming to pay about £300 ($550) but I'll pay more if it's gonna be worth it. Any ideas on what to get?
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
What style do you play? What type of Guitar/Amp are you looking at? We need more information.
If it's a Fender Strat and not a Squier, then you could just go for something like a Roland Cube 60 or a Vox AD50.

I think that you should save up a bit more before you buy a new amp or guitar though. If you build up double that amount of cash, you could get an amp that'll last you forever (used Mesa combo, AC30 etc.)
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I'd say I mainly play rock / metal, but a bit of everything really. I was looking at gibsons but I like epi's too.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

If you've already got a Fender then don't buy an Epi unless you go for an Epi Elite model.

If you're going for a Les Paul shape, then you could check out Agile's website (google "agile guitars") They're an online store with an awesome reputation for quality Les Paul shaped guitars.
To be honest, you cant really get decent equipment for that price range. Unless you get real lucky. My cheapest decent guitar was my BCRitch KKV which cost me £220.
My amp cost bout £150. Check EBAY, I've heard thats a good place to shop.
What music do you play and are you gonna be having band practice, etc. MORE INFO
you'd be lucky to get a gibson for sub 300 quid. But there are good guitars out there for around that mark. Agiles have a good reputatoin. I personally like fernandes guitars, but their good models start at 400 quid minimum. Though you can pick them up on ebay for anything above 250. You need to spend at least 100 quid to buy a good 2nd hand amp, or alot more for something new. I personally got a 65watt valvestate marshall amp on ebay for only 110 quid. And that is way too powerful for what i use it for. Just try and play as much equipment as u can and find something you really like, then save for it.
i wasn't planning on getting a gibson, just liked the shape really the Agiles look pretty good, do you think it would be worth getting the second of these two, its $40 difference?

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500blkfloydrose.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2800unifprofileblk.html

And any ideas what amp would go well with them?
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

Last edited by Nightmare_xxx at Jun 21, 2006,
If you have a real Fender strat (not Squier), than you don't need a better guitar right away. If you don't like your sound, it's probly your amp (your amp is probably 4/5 of your sound). Try a Roland Cube 30 or 60, they are in that price range and are very versitile amps.
Nah I've been playing it for a while now and it seems to be almost rattling after a couple of hours playing it. I've played my cousin's gibson les paul 1958 standard, and I really preferred the shape, feel and the whole look of it, not to mention the sound difference. I know I can't expect a £300 guitar to sound like a high-end les paul, but it was just so mindblowingly better than what I'm playing currently. A friend recommended a Spider II 30 amp and it looks perfect to me, but I may get a Vox AD30.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

$550 in the UK?
easy, check ebay for some laney stuff.

always remember to invest more in the amp than the guitar, the amp has about 5 times the tone shaping power as the guitar. the guitar is more a bout feel and playability.

how does your strat play? is it S/S/S or a fat strat? because that factor can make a big difference, its a fat strat, you're set with the laney. but if it's all single coils you may want to invest in a new bridge pickup and pick guard.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Hm...You're obviously in Europe, so Agile's aren't worth the price to get tehm to you. You also won't get any insurance on the shipping, so if it get's trashed during shipping, you're out $300.

I recommend that you look at the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top. It has most of the same features as the Agile, and is roughly the same price.

As for an amp, go for the Vox AD30VT, but TRY IT FIRST. Really, try every amp in the store that's in your price range. Pick the one that sounds the best to you.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
And when trying an amp, make sure to try every setting possible on it. This is especially important for modelling amps like the Vox AD30 and Roland Cubes.
It might be a bit on the expensive side, but I'd recommend the B-52 2x12. It's all-tube and triple-rectifier. It has good clean and moderate distortion as well as a great metal sound. It's like a Mesa triple rect and a Fender (insert high end all tube Fender amp name here) combined, without the brand name price. I have one and it's great. The best you can find it on the internet is $800, but I managed to talk the guy at GC to $600 during a sale. Like some others said, amp is more important than axe. By the way, I own an AD30 VT and its O.K., good for the money, but I'd really recommend a good amp. Maybe shipping would suck for you. Just a thought.
Buy one then buy the other because if you split the cash on both, youll get low end stuff, buy an amp first, probably a tube amp like Fender or Peavey.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
yea the shipping is $75, so i'm paying £200 for a £165 guitar. I can live with it, it seems like a great guitar and from what I've heard agile guitars really are the best possible guitars within the price range. I would happily pay another £100 for that if I had the money. So I'm really getting a £165 guitar and a £160 amp, I reckon I evened it out enough
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

Quote by Old Shoe
To be honest, you cant really get decent equipment for that price range. Unless you get real lucky. My cheapest decent guitar was my BCRitch KKV which cost me £220.
My amp cost bout £150. Check EBAY, I've heard thats a good place to shop.
What music do you play and are you gonna be having band practice, etc. MORE INFO

anyone who says there lucky to get a bc rich should not be taken seriously
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
i wish someone would ask.....which guitar and amp should i buy, i only have $10,000 to spend. i would have fun helping that person out.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
yea the shipping is $75, so i'm paying £200 for a £165 guitar. I can live with it, it seems like a great guitar and from what I've heard agile guitars really are the best possible guitars within the price range. I would happily pay another £100 for that if I had the money. So I'm really getting a £165 guitar and a £160 amp, I reckon I evened it out enough

Forget it mate, you won't get an Agile shipped into the UK for $75 dollars. You will get raped on customs duties as well as tax and end up paying much more than it's worth. Buy a new amp first (from within the UK or eBay) with your saved money, see how your current guitar plays on it and then if you're not happy save for a new guitar.

It's also worth noting that the guy at Rondo probably won't ship outside the U.S, although i have heard stories....
ah yea kurt said he would ship for 75$ but it didnt include tax, I'll have to see how much that would cost, though the UK doesnt really ask people to shell out like the US does.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

hmm yea I have to add VAT (17.5%) to that, plus 3% for guitars, which adds up to an extra 20%. Ends up as £240. Bummer.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

Last edited by Nightmare_xxx at Jun 25, 2006,
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
I'd say I mainly play rock / metal, but a bit of everything really. I was looking at gibsons but I like epi's too.
Get an Epi Les Paul with pups swap, Ibanez RG 1570 w/pups, Schecter Hellraiser, LTD EC1000 / MH400/m1000/H1000, Tokai Love Rock w/pups, Ibanez S series ZR tremolo w/pups, and a Peavey XXX, 6505 or Mesa Boogie MarkIV, dual rectifier, or Marshall JCM800, JCM900, or Crate Blue Voodoo 120. Theres crazy money Bogners or Hughs&Kettner or Soldano boutique amp makers out there also.

But these are the best sounding stuff for your money Gibsons and PRS are great but 3x the cost. I wouldnt skimp on the amp and get a Roland Cube or Vox pay the $800 needed to play a great amp then just get an $800 guitar instead of a $2000 guitar.
I was VERY LUCKY to stumble across a carlson pg-51 on ebay. I ended up paying $150 for a 600 dollar guitar. If you have never heard of carlson check em out www.carlsonguitars.com. Its definatlay all high end stuff and nothing here plays like that squire or samick junk. Im talking super smooth and fast like a PRS or Miraje. I run that guitar through a Behringer GMX212 120watt amp. The amp was like $260 and its a great amp for the price. Can sound like j/ about anytthing as its a modeling amp and has some really kool effects.
^From my experience, the GMX sounds kinda crappy.

It's mediocre sounding at best.

Get a new amp to really experience how good your guitar is.
ya if you go to the store make sure you try the amp out loud because it wont sound exactly how its going to when its quiet, your going to need some power behind it
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
roland cubes suck, i hate them, they look like a pile of crap. Fender Twin ftw.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
roland cubes suck, i hate them, they look like a pile of crap. Fender Twin ftw.

Who gives a flying f**k what they look like. It's what they sound like that's important.