Hey there,

I'm looking for a new amp to purchase, something good for 80's thrash metal sound .

Any ideas?

Thanks
You could always try a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. They're susposed to be good for thrash metal.
Current Gear
-LTD M-50
-Mesa Boogie 3 Channel Dual Rectifer
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
-Peavey Rage 158
Almost any amp can handle metal, especially thrash. What's your price range? Combo? Stack? Brand preference?
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
80's? thrash? gotta be a jcm 800 with a boost. VERY nice for thrash. then again theirs probably something these days that will give u the tone your looking for without blowing out your eardrums!
Erm he want's a thrash metal amp d'you think he cares 'bout wether his ear drums are blown out?

If you can't afford one of those, buy a cheaper marshall, they still sound pretty cool.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by eddiehimself

If you can't afford one of those, buy a cheaper marshall, they still sound pretty cool.

The words 'Cheaper' and 'Marshall' together don't usually make a good suggestion

80's Thrash? Maybe check out:

Randall (Anthrax)
Marshall (Slayer, Megadeth, Early Metallica)
Mesa/Boogie (Later Metallica, From Master of Puppets on I think)
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I meant relitivley cheaper I dunno how much money this guy's got. I just didn't assume he could by a JCM 800 especially considering you can't go into a music store and go "i'd like to try out a marshall JCM 800" you have to get a cheaper one.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^ ebay? but seriously, JCM 800, their pretty awesome for thrash, but please for the love of GOD wear earplugs at least! bear in mind that your gonna have to crank that biatch to get that amazing sound you hear from slayer e.t.c!
That would be another reason why you buy a cheaper solid state amp.

Besides I hate eBay you don't know whether your actually gonna get sumthing good. Maybe that's cos I sell overpriced **** on ebay tho.
EH

XXX's get some good thrash sounds.
R.I.P. Dime
"Forever Shred On"
Thanks for the answers, it seems the JCM 800 is something i'll look into
Last edited by the_trooper49 at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by eddiehimself
Erm he want's a thrash metal amp d'you think he cares 'bout wether his ear drums are blown out?

(a) do not quote someone in your sig when you think they've got something wrong when they're actually right. D man is one of the smartest guys on here. You'll end up looking like a tool.

(b) DO NOT buy a cheaper marshall, any solid state marshall (at least in the current range) sucks.

What's your budget, threadstarter?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chums
XXX's get some good thrash sounds.

That they do, even better thrashy tones with a bias and re-tubing .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
save up a bit more money and get a marshall jcm 800 off of ebay
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
I'd look at the Randall solid state amps. Dime played through a solid state Warhead before switching to Krank. For the money you're talking it will be tough to get a tube amp to do what you ask.

Maybe Peavey Valveking? You could possible get uberlucky and score a 5150 or JCM900 at a pawn shop, especially if you don't do ebay.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Yes, indeed, a 5150/6505 would be the best you could possibly get.

The price though, is a different story .
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
I saw a 5150 go for $450USD just today, and another is sitting on $350 with a couple days left, both on ebay. It's tough to rule ebay out, there's just so much stuff available...
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^And yet so many options
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?