iv been looking into the thunder and screamer combos by engl, i play mostly metal but also understand engl have a lovely clean tone. Versitality doesnt really matter for me, but i was wondering whether the screamer is better than the thunder at handling intense high gain? Because if it isnt, ill prob just go with the thunder . Opinions please?

Thanks
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
AFAIK, the Screamer definitely has more gain then the Thunder.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
would the thunder still handle high gain well though?
Hmm... I wouldn't say it'd be the best for those extreme metal tones . It's a lot more suited towards classic rock, rock, punk, etc. Personally I'd suggest the Screamer over the Thunder if you're a fan of gain .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Not as well, it's more a mid-gain, early metal amp than a higain, 90s metal amp.
ok cool thanks guys, ill look into the screamer combo then. any ideas on uk engl stockists?
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to run an ENGL E530 Preamp through a 100 watt head? I'm saving up for one and I don't know whether I need to buy a separate power amp or if I can just run it through my JCM900 :s
Jackson Warrior w/ SH-10&SH-13, Floyd Rose Original

1990 Marshall JCM 900 4100
w/ EL-34 Mullard re-issue Power tubes
V1: Harma STR-270 & V2,3: GT-12AX7-M

Boss GE-7 EQ
^^^ where are you in the uk?

EDIT: and if gain's the only thing you want, you might want to look into a fireball, if you can get a cab.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^^ where are you in the uk?

EDIT: and if gain's the only thing you want, you might want to look into a fireball, if you can get a cab.

IM in in the buckinghamshire area, so sorta central.
Quote by JCM900DUDE
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to run an ENGL E530 Preamp through a 100 watt head? I'm saving up for one and I don't know whether I need to buy a separate power amp or if I can just run it through my JCM900 :s

And dont steal my thread, make your own
can you get to the wembley guitar centre? or the oxford guitar gallery? both of those are pretty good, and very friendly (let you try out loads). they also have the advantage of having lots of other amps to try too.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not sure about wembley, but i can definitly get to the oxford guitar gallery easily, thanks!
^ cool.

the great thing about the wembley one is that it has a soundproof booth. But oxford has a little room for trying out, you should be able to set it pretty loud... I think they had laney tt's in there last time I was there (EDIT: so did wembley)- try one of them too, they're great for a shred tone. They may only have the head version, but you can get it in combo form too. It's a similar price to the thunder.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cool, next time im able to get down there ill try out a range of stuff then
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?