Im trying to learn more theory outside of the class I took and I wrote a song in what I think is G harmonic double major.

A friend tried to convince me that it was G Phrygian because of the same basic scale shape, but I won because of the nature of minor and how the 6th & 7th could move.

However, my question really is...

in the modes of harmonic minor (or melodic minor too I s'pose), you can still use both the 7th & raised 7th, correct?

Because in so-called "G double harmonic major" (C harmonic minor in the tonic of G), I used both the notes B & Bb and unless I can, it doesn't make sense.

I was just trying to analyze something I wrote and it came out as a mode of C harmonic minor.

Does anyone know what the other modes of the harmonic minor are?
I know
i - harmonic minor (derrr)
III - harmonic major
and
V - Double Harmonic Major

but other than that, I don't know their names. Anyone more enlightened wanna tell me?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
google gives me:

harmonic minor
locrian #6
harmonic major
spanish phrygian (also phrygian dominant I believe, also spanish gypsy, some sort of hebrew scale......I think this scale has more different names for it than any other scale)
double harmonic major
lydian b3
diminished

edit: though those names do seem a little wierd. Refer to the post linked below, looks good to me
Last edited by seljer at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by UtBDan
in the modes of harmonic minor (or melodic minor too I s'pose), you can still use both the 7th & raised 7th, correct?
You mean something like C D Eb F G Ab Bb B C?

Type out a scale in C.

Here's somestuff you want. Look at Cas' posts.
ah, wish I saw that before. I knew it sounded Spanish lol.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I said double harmonic major, which is apparently a nickname for Phrygian dominant, the scale with the most names and alternative titles ever.
I never said double harmonic minor.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
In my music book it says that only the fifth mode of the Harmonic minor(and the harmonic minor its self) are used in music today and since were on that topic..does that sound right to you?
Ah

Ha
could someone dirrect me to a lesson on this stuff
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
then Joel Di Bartolo is a damn liar..oh well im still glad i learned those modes
Ah

Ha
^Yeah. quite frequently... you just gotta listen to the right music. It's all over the place.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
^Yeah. quite frequently... you just gotta listen to the right music. It's all over the place.
All except Cas' "gay" seventh mode, right?