Page 1 of 2
I know you guys are tired of advice threads like this, so sorry.

Anyway, I want a Les Paul, but I don't want to have to sell my soul in order to get the money to buy one. I want a nice one that I will want to play the rest of my life, though.

Advice?
Epiphone IMO.

But Agile doesn't make bad copies either.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Slash's Luthier.....But hes Dead now. " better than any gibson i have played".
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
UHh, ESP eclipese...
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
^ Does ibanez make les paul shaped guitars? I'll check their website.
They used to pre-lawsuit I think. You could probably find a few on Ebay. The old Destroyer/V Copies Ibanez used to make were amazing, so I don't see why the LP's would be any different. (I'd kill for a Rocket Roll II right now)
PRS Singlecut might be the next best thing, but that doesn't help you any.

Epiphones upper end LPs are nice.
Agile AL-3000 seems their best options/$$ guitar.
Tokai Love Rock
Hagstrom Super Swede?
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Epiphone, Agile, Tokai, and another one but I don't remember the name (or were there only 3?).

But Epiphone is owned by Gibson, so i'm not sure if that counts....also their lower end Les Pauls are crap.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Honestly, I'd save the money up (or as you mentioned, sell your soul). The Gibsons are SO worth it.
Founder of Baer Guitars - Free lessons in an unconventional style to promote creativity.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
Edwards, there made in japan and owned by Esp, best knockoff ive ever played

www.katanaguitars.com
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by BurNW73
Honestly, I'd save the money up (or as you mentioned, sell your soul). The Gibsons are SO worth it.

the ESPs are pretty sweet if you're a metalhead, 24 frets too and EMGs allready in there

in any case you're going to have to save up if you want a guitar to last you for the rest of your life. Or just keep your eyes open at all times to find a deal
Quote by Mudder
PRS Singlecut might be the next best thing, but that doesn't help you any.

Epiphones upper end LPs are nice.
Agile AL-3000 seems their best options/$$ guitar.
Tokai Love Rock
Hagstrom Super Swede?

Holy shit! I thought no one knew of Hagström. My dad has one (Swede) that I've played some times, it rocks! They're expensive compared to Agiles and Epis though...
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
In order of looking like a Gibson:
Orville
Edwards
Epiphone
Tokai
Greco
Burny
ESP
LTD
Agile
Hagstrom

Not in order of quality.
For quality, I'd definitely say a PRS Singlecut. I hear those are THE guitar [and no, it wasn't from UG or a guitar magazine].
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Not nessasarily cheap... My price range is anywhere from $200 to $1000. I havn't decided how much I wanna spend yet.
i would say tokai for sure

that is is they are 2003 or before

they went to hell after that point from what ive seen and played
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I'd go for the older tokai or maybe a hagstrom, the new ones aren't bad at all.. but thats just me, i hate epiphones
Navigator, or Edwards...though both are done in Japan.

Surprised no one mention Navigator.
You should look at Elitist Epiphone Les Paul's they are better than the low end Gibson.
Member #15 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join

EMO DEFENDER #10

i love you dude! (in a non-gay way)
Quote by Danno13
In order of looking like a Gibson:
Orville
Edwards
Epiphone
Heritage
Tokai
Greco
Burny
ESP
LTD
Agile
Hagstrom

Not in order of quality.

*cough*

Heritage pwns when it comes to quality.
no idea

but i got a older tokai (2003)

and i got it for 650$ canadian so it fits your budget

in the end only one thing to do

go spend at a day at a guitar shop (long & mqquade since im assuming ur in canada )
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by CanadaHckyDude
how much are the Heritage guitars?

He's kidding. Those are the $30 ones at Wal-Mart.
Quote by Danno13
He's kidding. Those are the $30 ones at Wal-Mart.

What's wrong with you?

http://www.heritageguitar.com/

"The idea to start Heritage Guitar began when the Gibson Guitar Corporation closed its Kalamazoo, Michigan factory in September of 1984 and moved all production to its other plant in Nashville, Tennessee (in operation since 1975). When this took place, some of the employees were asked to move to Nashville. However, since their families had spent many years in Kalamazoo, it made it difficult to uproot and move. Therefore 3 men, Jim Deurloo, Marvin Lamb, and JP Moats, decided to start a guitar manufacturing business. In 1985 when the company was incorporated, 2 other former Gibson Guitar Corporation employees, Bill Paige and Mike Korpak, joined as owners."

They cost slightly less than Gibsons, but lack the ****ty QC.

Oh, and Gary Moore plays them.
blueridge aint that bad it was my 1st les paul type it sounds proper sick and looks the dogs bollocks
The best LP other than gibson would prolly be....ALGEE!!!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
If it isn't a Gibson, it's not a Les Paul. That simple. I'm not even a Gibson fan (except strings). Just make sure you don't get one with a stupid neck. Alot of copies of LP that I have seen had necks that could have a home on a bass.
Quote by ##_Guitar-newb
Slash's Luthier.....But hes Dead now. " better than any gibson i have played".

Yea that was a hell of a guitar. He actually made two of that particular model and sold one to someone else. But if your looking for an LP that plays alot like a real Gibson I would say Epiphone. Those are approved by the man himself (yes Les Paul is a real man, not just a creature of myth). Just replace the pickups and install a Floyd rose if you like. I put the same pickups Slash puts in his LPs. Trying to remember the name.
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by heiltalker2006
Yea that was a hell of a guitar. He actually made two of that particular model and sold one to someone else. But if your looking for an LP that plays alot like a real Gibson I would say Epiphone. Those are approved by the man himself (yes Les Paul is a real man, not just a creature of myth). Just replace the pickups and install a Floyd rose if you like. I put the same pickups Slash puts in his LPs. Trying to remember the name.

hmmm i wouldnt say epiphone make the best they certainly do make spot on LP's but they certainly dont make the best. and slash uses Seymour Duncan Alnico II
Page 1 of 2