I'll keep this as short as possible.

I'm the bassist for a band that's been going for about... pssh, nine months or so now, and we're growing quite quickly. And now we're trying to put out a CD.

A friend has invited to record an EP for us. Naturally, we accepted and in mid-July we're going to record a short, four-track first offering. He's experienced at mixing things and though it won't be a totally professional job, we'll have our music out there. Check.

So now we've got the songs, we need the packaging. And, fortunately, I have a contact in an experimental photographer who's ready to do that. I love his stuff, he's doing it free of charge and hopefully we should be able to get that done.

So let's fast forwards about a month into the future. We have our music, all mixed, and a front cover. But that's not everything we need. Not even close.

1. We need to copyright our songs, lyrics, and everything. I don't have a clue how to do this. We're all residents of the UK (Gloucestershire) and any information on the procedures involved would be invaluable.
2. We need to get a production line running. What's the use of having the music if you can't get it out there? I know nothing about costs, and I know nothing about any local labels or how to do it on our own entirely independently. Does anyone have any info that could help or any kind of recommendations?
3. We need to print the inlays. I also do not have a clue how to do this.

So yeah, some mucky stuff going on there, and any other tips would also help greatly: any advice from anyone would be brilliant. Thanks.

-Rob
I'll look up some info for you,

*Update* this might help http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/

*update* Do you have a computer? you could get a cd burner and burning software and distribute cd's yourself,

and dude I wanna a copy of your EP
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 21, 2006,
I know this may sound like a real stupid idea, but it worked for my friend when he wanted to copyright his music: When he was typing up the album and everything he just went to wingdings and put the copyright C in a circle next to the song. If it looks like it's copyrighted, chances are that no one will touch it. I would only reccomend this if you have little to no time to go through the copyright proecess.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by Hendrix4ever
When he was typing up the album and everything he just went to wingdings and put the copyright C in a circle next to the song. If it looks like it's copyrighted, chances are that no one will touch it. I would only reccomend this if you have little to no time to go through the copyright proecess.

Thats Funny, but better safe then sorry,
Quote by Spade1
I'll look up some info for you,

*Update* this might help http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/
Thanks loads for that. Great help.

*update* Do you have a computer? you could get a cd burner and burning software and distribute cd's yourself,

and dude I wanna a copy of your EP
Hahahaha, yes I have a computer. :P Though I'm willing to just burn to CD-Rs if I can't find anything else, but it looks a little kinda tacky putting out your CD with "EMTEC CD-R" written all over it; I'm something of a CD collector and so I like having a whole professional package put together. I'll go for it if we get to late July and we're no closer to having a really sleek job done of it, though.

This is why I'm asking a month in advance, really; we're not releasing until early August-ish, so it's good to know what I'll be working with instead of having all the mixes back and kinda saying "****. we can't actually do this, we don't have x and y."

And sure you can have a copy. :P
glad I could help with that, and Yeah I hear yeah, You wanna a Professional job on the CDs ,

Oh and Be sure to keep in touch, I wanna know how the CD stuff is going, feel free to PM or Email me, or IM me on AIM or MSM messenger
If you want your cds to look more professional you can always get labels and such for them. Depending on how many you are making I think I saw something on www.musiciansfriend.com about a company that will make bulk cds for you if you give them the stuff. I don't know the details because i wasnt interested but made a mental because I may be someday .

Also I believe according to American copyright laws (sorry i dont know if they are the same in UK) the instant you write something it is copyrighted. Now obviously there are things you can do such as registering your copyright that will decrease the likeliness of anyone copying you, and in the event that they do your case would be more cut and dry.
I wish I had some advice, but it appears that you're very organized. Hell, I can't even get a full band together...for that I applaud you.

EDIT: I would get a MySpace to put your songs on. It's a very good medium for promoting music. Just don't allow for people to download your songs if you intend to sell this EP.
Last edited by joshsirjoshules at Jun 21, 2006,
Well, if its pretty much the first thing people have heard of you and you aren't an enormous local success, I'd say having the EP free on myspace and handing out copies at gigs and such would be much better for publicity than trying to sell material strait off. You'd be surprised how quickly a couple of songs can spread.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Put your lyrics and tab of all your songs on paper mail them to yourself, when you get the envelope don't open it so you have it there as proof with a date on it if anyone tries to rip you off.
Quote by Yertle
Well, if its pretty much the first thing people have heard of you and you aren't an enormous local success, I'd say having the EP free on myspace and handing out copies at gigs and such would be much better for publicity than trying to sell material strait off. You'd be surprised how quickly a couple of songs can spread.

yeah thats a good idea, just be careful on myspace theres some freaks out there,

Also what kinda music does your band play?,
Quote by HollowImprints
Put your lyrics and tab of all your songs on paper mail them to yourself, when you get the envelope don't open it so you have it there as proof with a date on it if anyone tries to rip you off.

This is probably the best way to do it, but you might want to put a CD in the envelope too. From what I understand, all you need to prove in court for copyright purposes is that you owned the material before whoever's trying to rip you off; and a postdated unopened envelope containing your stuff should be good enough for that.
Originally posted by Chapman
And for the dancing bassist...Go dance your ass off a bridge.

Member of the UG Law Students, Inns of Court.
just a small piece of advice. it may sound stupid, but usually its a good idea to NOT accept free stuff. if you really know and trust whoever's doing it, thats great. but by paying them, even a very small amount , they take the project as a job and responsibility. this might not apply to this situation, but for the future... PAY people. they will work harder and take you more seriously instead of possibly blowing you off for something they think is more important.
Quote by Yertle
We have a very small following already. We have two songs available on myspace (one of which has over a thousand listens, whoo!) and we've been given a couple of offers for gigs as a result of the one that we've already done. It's mostly friends and acquaintances right now though, but it's something. I've been recognised as being a member by strangers a couple of times before now, so we're getting a trickle of interest.

We will be giving out free CDs, too. I'm hoping to throw them out into the crowd at the end of live gigs. Personally, though, if I like a band (local or non~) then I -want- to pay for something by them to support the artist. It's nice to be able to buy a CD and have all the packaging and the inlay and to have it to throw into the CD player whenever I want, and all that. Often buying a band's album is the first thing I do at the end of a local gig. So, we'll also have it there as an option. So the thing thrown into the crowd might have two songs on and no art, and we'll sell the EPs from behind a little desk at the back, megacheap, with pretty artwork and two extra songs that the CD-Rs don't have. So it's not so much "instead of" as it is "as well as."

Quote by HollowImprints
That's... actually really ingenius, I think I'm going to do that right now.

Quote by Spade1
Also what kinda music does your band play?,
This is going to sound incredibly cliche, but the short answer is a bit of everything.

The long answer is that we all come from very different musical backgrounds and I'm amazed at how easily we agree on things to be honest. A common thread is rock, and so there's more than a hint of rock or otherwise modern music in most compositions. Within that, however, we vary quite a lot, I think, and that's one of the things I like the most about our sound.

In the way of tracks planned for the EP, we have...

- An uptempo, acoustic folk-inspired song, which I believe was in part musically inspired by the soundtrack to the Monkey Island video games. We actually have an accordion we get out on this one.

- An instrumental power-metally stomper, with some slightly neo-classical sounding leads.

- The token emotional ballad. :P

- A slightly weird hard rock song with very subtle references to Devin Townsend, and subtle influences from punk (not my genre of choice, but it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the song).

...Not in that order. In the way of songs that we've refrained from recording yet we have some prog influences, some mellow jazzy stuff, some more extreme metal sensibilities; there's a lot of different approaches floating around.

Quote by descendent1
just a small piece of advice. it may sound stupid, but usually its a good idea to NOT accept free stuff. if you really know and trust whoever's doing it, thats great. but by paying them, even a very small amount , they take the project as a job and responsibility. this might not apply to this situation, but for the future... PAY people. they will work harder and take you more seriously instead of possibly blowing you off for something they think is more important.
I hear that, actually. The dude who's recording it is a friend of the band, so there should be no trouble there, but I'd never actually considered what you're saying, and now that I'm reading it and thinking about it, that's actually very wise.

Quote by patrickmclaren
whats your budget?
Quite low to be honest, but we can stretch it a bit if we cut down on electricity, food, water... the luxuries.
Last edited by skymovesideways at Jun 22, 2006,
Righty, so I'll give this some help, though most of it's probably been said already.

Quote by skymovesideways
I'll keep this as short as possible.

I'm the bassist for a band that's been going for about... pssh, nine months or so now, and we're growing quite quickly. And now we're trying to put out a CD.

A friend has invited to record an EP for us. Naturally, we accepted and in mid-July we're going to record a short, four-track first offering. He's experienced at mixing things and though it won't be a totally professional job, we'll have our music out there. Check.

So now we've got the songs, we need the packaging. And, fortunately, I have a contact in an experimental photographer who's ready to do that. I love his stuff, he's doing it free of charge and hopefully we should be able to get that done.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Quote by skymovesideways
So let's fast forwards about a month into the future. We have our music, all mixed, and a front cover. But that's not everything we need. Not even close.

1. We need to copyright our songs, lyrics, and everything. I don't have a clue how to do this. We're all residents of the UK (Gloucestershire) and any information on the procedures involved would be invaluable.

Try looking on Copywright Service , but also inquire at your local council about copywrighting, as they may be able to help you too. It will probably take some time to get any copywrighting sorted, and it'll probably cost you too.

Quote by skymovesideways
2. We need to get a production line running. What's the use of having the music if you can't get it out there? I know nothing about costs, and I know nothing about any local labels or how to do it on our own entirely independently. Does anyone have any info that could help or any kind of recommendations?

Seriously, just copy them onto CD-Rs. You can buy ones that are just blank; just plain white on the front, no writing or anything. Copy your original CD onto them, and get a machine that prints the fronts of CDs to put the logo on it. My bassists dad has one; they're just little machines that paste the image onto the front of CD. Not very expensive, and really quite easy to use.

Quote by skymovesideways
3. We need to print the inlays. I also do not have a clue how to do this.

Hm, that could prove tricky. Go down to a local college, there's bound to be music tech. students who'd be happy to do it for a reasonably low price.

Quote by skymovesideways
So yeah, some mucky stuff going on there, and any other tips would also help greatly: any advice from anyone would be brilliant. Thanks.

-Rob

Well, as you said, you've already got a following, which is pretty good. However, I would still recommend getting a website. It doesn't have to be a MySpace, but try to get a decent domain, not some shitty freewebs.com or geocities.com account. It will definately help attract more attention. See if you could set up a mailing list too, that way you can get your EP to a wider audience, which is always good.

Finally, good luck with it all.
I want a copy of the full EP on my desk tomorrow Oh and hold my calls,

But seriusly I can't wait to get that EP and tell my freinds, yeah I'm lessoning to...Hey i don't even know the name of your band!!!,

anyway ^That SomeEvilDude is a smart guy^, Great Ideas dude,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 24, 2006,
Theres printers that print labels onto CD's. My dad has one. It makes it look professional and schmexy.
Here's my tip- think about the tracks you put on there and the order you put them on in VERY carefully. With an EP you've only got a short space of time to make the perfect impression.

Also, listen to as many EPs as you can to get a good idea of this.
Firstly, thanks loads, everyone. You're being a great help.

Quote by SomeEvilDude
Seriously, just copy them onto CD-Rs. You can buy ones that are just blank; just plain white on the front, no writing or anything. Copy your original CD onto them, and get a machine that prints the fronts of CDs to put the logo on it. My bassists dad has one; they're just little machines that paste the image onto the front of CD. Not very expensive, and really quite easy to use.
This sounds nifty. Can I have more info? Same applies to Kill,em,all, I'm interested now.

Quote by SomeEvilDude
Hm, that could prove tricky. Go down to a local college, there's bound to be music tech. students who'd be happy to do it for a reasonably low price.
That sounds pretty good actually, I'll check that out. There's a college really nearby in fact, I could check something out there.

Well, as you said, you've already got a following, which is pretty good. However, I would still recommend getting a website. It doesn't have to be a MySpace, but try to get a decent domain, not some shitty freewebs.com or geocities.com account. It will definately help attract more attention. See if you could set up a mailing list too, that way you can get your EP to a wider audience, which is always good.

Finally, good luck with it all. We actually have someone who's gonna whip up a proper website for us. We're on myspace.com right now, but he's going to get something together. We have the first draft and it's looking pretty good. Now he has to code it. :P And thank you very much for the well wishes.

I want a copy of the full EP on my desk tomorrow Oh and hold my calls, :p

But seriusly I can't wait to get that EP and tell my freinds, yeah I'm lessoning to...Hey i don't even know the name of your band!!!,

anyway ^That SomeEvilDude is a smart guy^, Great Ideas dude,
www.myspace.com/itsthesyndicate . There you go, both are going to be on the EP (One More will have lyrics), along with two others.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Here's my tip- think about the tracks you put on there and the order you put them on in VERY carefully. With an EP you've only got a short space of time to make the perfect impression.

Also, listen to as many EPs as you can to get a good idea of this.
What we're planning on doing is giving a varied selection. We've selected a number of songs that we think capture the real "essence" of our stuff at the same time as giving an idea of the kind of different styles we explore. The song that will be the first track (and therefore the -very- first impression of the band) seems to be, at the moment, something of a favourite. I've overheard a couple of people I know humming the lead from it, which I've been very pleased with; and it went down incredibly well when we played it live. So hopefully we've got the perfect selection.
Quote by skymovesideways

What we're planning on doing is giving a varied selection. We've selected a number of songs that we think capture the real "essence" of our stuff at the same time as giving an idea of the kind of different styles we explore. The song that will be the first track (and therefore the -very- first impression of the band) seems to be, at the moment, something of a favourite. I've overheard a couple of people I know humming the lead from it, which I've been very pleased with; and it went down incredibly well when we played it live. So hopefully we've got the perfect selection.

With an EP it's usually not best to venture too far from your 'defining' sound. If you're totally fixed on total diversity, wait until you have the material to do an album. Your debut EP should define your sound- if it's too diverse, people will find it hard to identify with you.
Quote by Aidy Damage
With an EP it's usually not best to venture too far from your 'defining' sound. If you're totally fixed on total diversity, wait until you have the material to do an album. Your debut EP should define your sound- if it's too diverse, people will find it hard to identify with you.
What's your definition of defining sound? Because though they're different stylistically, I'd say you can tell they're all songs by the same band and they do all sound like part of the same whole. But I don't know if you mean they should be closer and all of one very consistent style. If so, then we're not really going for that; and it would be a bit false if we ended up putting all the metal tracks on or whatever and then coming out with this diverse full length.
Quote by skymovesideways
What's your definition of defining sound? Because though they're different stylistically, I'd say you can tell they're all songs by the same band and they do all sound like part of the same whole. But I don't know if you mean they should be closer and all of one very consistent style. If so, then we're not really going for that; and it would be a bit false if we ended up putting all the metal tracks on or whatever and then coming out with this diverse full length.

That's the best way to do it.

If you release an album of just generic rock songs, however good it is, people will begin to associate you with generic rock. If your EP has a definitive 'sound' as such, so people know it's you, but still explores various genres, it shows a lot of skill and diversity, which is attractive. It'll keep people coming back for more, they'll know you're capable of branching off and not staying rooted in one genre.

Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you're doing, it's nice to see someone on UG actually making an effort to get their stuff out instead of just sitting around bitching about how much the music industry sucks.

Kudos, and once again, good luck to you.
Brilliant, that's exactly what we're going for and exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks loads for the encouraging words. I just want to see everything work, really.
Yeah I like to see bands with a diverse sound/style like yours, I'm getting sick of 50 bands that all sound the same, You guys are doing something that ppl will buy, and like,

If I ever get to be in a band, and/or put together a band, I hope we will have a diverse sound/style
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 28, 2006,