I am going to buy a Schecter Hellraiser and until very recently was going to get one without a FR...but lately I have been thinking it might be kinda fun to have a FR to get some crazy sounds...I've never used one before so have no experience with them. I'm thinking why wouldn't I get one? The draw backs I have heard are it takes forever to change a string if you break one and FR's aren't good for drop tuning. are these statements true? will a FR just be a big headache? right now I don't change strings very often and really haven't broken one in a long time (I don't play live...I might at some point in the future but right now I don't...I guess if I do I could always use my current piece of poo guitar as a backup incase a string breaks) so I am not too concerned about the how much a pain in the ass changing strings would be (is it really a pain in the ass??). I do like to change tunings a fair amount however...will this pose a problem if I get a FR?? Also does the FR stay in tune or will I always be tuning up after using it for a little while? Is there any other things I should be aware of about a FR vs no FR?? thanks for any and all advice.
i just posted almost this exact same thread the other day. i dot play the bar bar but i might if i get it. it sorta depends on u though, if u have an extra hundred bucks to get the fr, then go ahead and get it. its better to have it and not use it than to not have it and wanta use it...
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by Cruehead666
I am going to buy a Schecter Hellraiser and until very recently was going to get one without a FR...but lately I have been thinking it might be kinda fun to have a FR to get some crazy sounds...I've never used one before so have no experience with them. I'm thinking why wouldn't I get one? The draw backs I have heard are it takes forever to change a string if you break one and FR's aren't good for drop tuning. are these statements true? will a FR just be a big headache? right now I don't change strings very often and really haven't broken one in a long time (I don't play live...I might at some point in the future but right now I don't...I guess if I do I could always use my current piece of poo guitar as a backup incase a string breaks) so I am not too concerned about the how much a pain in the ass changing strings would be (is it really a pain in the ass??). I do like to change tunings a fair amount however...will this pose a problem if I get a FR?? Also does the FR stay in tune or will I always be tuning up after using it for a little while? Is there any other things I should be aware of about a FR vs no FR?? thanks for any and all advice.

FRs are alright. They stay in tune pretty well but they're difficult to get in tune in the first place. I recomend getting a guitar without one and one with one....**** yeaaah.
^Gee, that was helpful.

My summary: If you play like Dimebag and Hammett, get the Floyd. If you play like Slash or like Hetfield, don't bother.
^well said my man
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
ESP or if your gonna get a schecter, get the avenger hellraiser like 'Synyster Gates' uses now from Avenged Sevenfold, with emgs

!!!feel the funk blast!!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN
the only difference between them is the body, the avenger is kewl, but the body is totally f'in wack!
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
if you downtune alot get a hard tail i'd say plus floating floyds are a pain in the arse...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
The only reason not to get an FR is if you change tunings a lot. Otherwise get it. Especially since it's an OFR.
Danno, I would say I definitly play more like Slash or like Hetfield (style wise at least, I suck compared to them lol) than like Dimebag and Hammett...that is why I had not been considering a FR until recently...I just thought it would be nice to have incase I wanted to use one.

Snake - I don't change tunings alot but I do change from standard to drop from time to time...with a FR can you drop really low? like a full step or step and a half??

Hmmm...not sure yet...just want to know if FR are to much of a pain in the ass...I don't always want to be fiddling with the tuning and stuff when I could be playing...or is the "pain in the ass" stuff overated and they are really not that much more difficult than a hardtail to work with?
Quote by Cruehead666
Danno, I would say I definitly play more like Slash or like Hetfield (style wise at least, I suck compared to them lol) than like Dimebag and Hammett...that is why I had not been considering a FR until recently...I just thought it would be nice to have incase I wanted to use one.

Snake - I don't change tunings alot but I do change from standard to drop from time to time...with a FR can you drop really low? like a full step or step and a half??

Hmmm...not sure yet...just want to know if FR are to much of a pain in the ass...I don't always want to be fiddling with the tuning and stuff when I could be playing...or is the "pain in the ass" stuff overated and they are really not that much more difficult than a hardtail to work with?

with a fr you can only stay in one tuning the whole time
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
You can always lock the trem so why not get the FR anyways? Then you have it if you need it.
Quote by YYZ
You can always lock the trem so why not get the FR anyways? Then you have it if you need it.

Can you please explain (in detail if possible ) what "locking the trem" is YYZ?? are you saying you can "lock the trem" and the guitar will act like it doesn't have a trem? if that is the case I see no reason not to get the Hellraiser with the FR...right??
it won't lock in place on it's own, but you could get a Tremel-no, which can make it fixed, floating, or dive only.
FRs can take low tunings since a lot of newer metal bands have them and they seem to work just fine. Changing tunings is kinda annoying, but on a lot of guitars, the allen wrench that unscrews the nut is placed on the headstock so that isn't too bad. Also, if the trem is set up properly and you don't change tunings, then it could stay in tune for months on end until you break a string. For stringing, all you have to do is cut the ball end of the string off and loosen some saddles and then string like normal. Either way, it depends on how bad you want it.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
The saddle locks the string in with a pin kinda like the ones found on acoustic guitars.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Well, if you still had the loop, then why cut off the ball in the first place? you cut all of it off. It's just that there is a lot of force going on the string since the pin is also locked down and so are the saddles, I believe.

EDIT: Here are the instructions on how to string a Floyd Rose, directly from www.FloydRose.com :

Step 1:
Unlock the three clamps at the nut with the 3mm allen wrench provided with the guitar or bridge.

Step 2:
Set the fine-tuners on the bridge to the middle of there tuning range.

Step 3:
Change one string at a time (starting at either E string) by first loosening the string and unclamping it at the saddle with the 3mm allen wrench.

Step 4:
Cut the ball end off the replacement string with a pair of wire cutters.

Step 5:
Place the freshly cut string end into the center of the saddle and tighten the clamping screw until it is difficult to turn.

Step 6:
Thread the other end of the string under its nut clamp and under the string hold down bar, then to the tuning key and tune the string. [Pull on the string until it is tight around the tuning key and retune.]

Step 7:
Repeat 2 through 5 until all strings are replaced.

Step 8:
Check your tuning on all strings once again.

Step 9:
Re-clamp the three nut clamps.

Step 10:
Check your tuning once again making any adjustments this time with your fine-tuners only.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Last edited by SGStrummer61 at Jun 22, 2006,
Avengers are kick ass, so if you dont get the FR get that. as for whether to get FR or not, if you want to change tunings frequently, then get the hardtail. if you want to be able to divebomb without going out of tune, get the FR.
Go get your shovel.
Quote by Cruehead666
Can you please explain (in detail if possible ) what "locking the trem" is YYZ?? are you saying you can "lock the trem" and the guitar will act like it doesn't have a trem? if that is the case I see no reason not to get the Hellraiser with the FR...right??

I don't know how to do it but I know it can be done. When I sent my guitar into the shop they just did it for some reason. It wouldn't budge at all. It was rock solid. I even had a thread here asking how to get it undone but it didn't seem like anyone knew. It can be done though. Someone on here has to know how to do it.
Hmmmm...all very interesting...I think it will end up being a spur of the moment decision...if the shop has a FR equiped Hellraiser and it feels good I will probably get it...if they just have a hardtail and it feels good I will probably get that lol...thanks for all the info though guys...very informative/education.
if you want to play crue, look for a vintage kramer
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Quote by curtis loew
if you want to play crue, look for a vintage kramer

Right on dude...I would love to, but I am kind of set on a schecter right now...you know in the early days, TTFL era, Mick used to use a Les Paul alot...