Im currently working on mastering Yngwie Malmsteen's song "Brothers".

Do you guys think that song is hard.

Im 13 and im wondering if im ne good at guitar.

Thanx a lot
www.myspace.com/hijackedtheband
being able to play one song at guitar, evne flawlessly doesnt mean your good or not. it just means you are able to copy somebody elses actions pretty good. what makes you good is how you play and the stuff that you create.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
being able to play one song at guitar, evne flawlessly doesnt mean your good or not. it just means you are able to copy somebody elses actions pretty good. what makes you good is how you play and the stuff that you create.

Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

So if you master a song for example, Macalpines Autumn Lords, your NOT good?

Just because you can make your own stuff doesnt make you good, it means.......... you can make your own stuff....

RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe

Just because you can make your own stuff doesnt make you good, it means.......... you can make your own stuff....

^yea i agree with you

but could you answer my question, do you think thats good for a 13 year old?
It depends on how long you've been playing, ive never even heard the song, but if its yngwie id imagine its pretty difficult..

Like does yours sound like the song, are you making mistakes? Can you record it?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by jtgpurplelover
^yea i agree with you

but could you answer my question, do you think thats good for a 13 year old?

depends, how long have you been playing guitar?
like 4 years but the first two i didnt take it serously. The last two years ive learned alot.
You're probably learning it sloppily, although you don't realise it yourself, in which case, no you're not good, and no you shouldn't care what we say about how good you are.

Stop comparing yourself. Just go, play, and have fun, damnit.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by ClassicAxe

You have to be versitile and to be able to play the song in your own way. Do you think even Yngwie plays it the same way everytime? Nope, he makes little changes. If you have been trained to play that one song and nothing else, you might as well have a robot playing it.
Quote by MastaBassist10
You have to be versitile and to be able to play the song in your own way. Do you think even Yngwie plays it the same way everytime? Nope, he makes little changes. If you have been trained to play that one song and nothing else, you might as well have a robot playing it.

One song? Dude, i was just throwing something out there as an example................
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
where can i find the mp3 of the song.. im gonna learn it
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
and i dont have any p2p so i have to stream it or download it from a site
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
Quote by ClassicAxe
One song? Dude, i was just throwing something out there as an example................

Oh, alright, but still, that point stands.
Quote by KYLE_2K
where can i find the mp3 of the song.. im gonna learn it

gimmie your screen name for aim or your email for msn and i could hook you up with a copy of the song
HEY

for all you guys who are saying, stop comparing yourself and **** like that, i just made this thread to get an opinion from some people with musical talent, because everyone that heres me that knows nothing about music says im really good, but i want a better opinion
any 13 year old that can play yngwie malmsteen impresses the HELL outta me so if u ever read this kid just know that you are well on your way to being a great guitarist
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
Quote by Resiliance
You're probably learning it sloppily, although you don't realise it yourself, in which case, no you're not good, and no you shouldn't care what we say about how good you are.

Stop comparing yourself. Just go, play, and have fun, damnit.

hey how do you know that im learning it sloppily

screw you im gonna go practice
ok who the hell cares anyways just cuz you can play 2340923809283 notes a second like yngwie doesn't make you good for god sakes i'm tired of people saying it does
If you can learn any song by Yngwie flawlessly, you may have good technique, but we all know there is more to a guitarist then technique, right?

That song has some pretty crazy stuff in it. If you could get that down perfect, that's pretty damn good for someone playing 2 years. Learning all his licks will be pretty worthwile too.

Because the ratio of sloppy Yngwie immitators to clean Yngwie immitators is about 100 to 1.
i'm tired of people saying that playing other people's stuff doesn't make you good. If you can play a Yngwie song well, you're pretty good, regardless if you can write stuff. it's not like all the famous guitarists started out writing their own stuff, they practiced other people's stuff first. (heck dimebag darrel was in a cover band before he got famous)
im sure that if your using a tab, you are going to learn it wrong. with a song from an artist like Yngwie, you arent going to be able to tab it correctly. the most acurate way to learn it is to play it on your computer, a few seconds at a time, learning it as you go. maybe even slowing the song down and learning it, that would be easier. im not going to say that it doesnt make you good, but it doesnt impress me. my friend, fellow bandmate, he and i are 14, and he is amazing, one of the best guitar players i have heard. he learns songs by the way i explained (by ear) and they sound great. he can perfect a song, even a new style of music in a day. he loves to shred, and one day he came to me and played a jazzy barre chord rhythm while tapping the lead with his other hand perfectly.
^ Yeah...I agree with that. Learning by ear is much more efficient than using tabs. But I don't think that being able to play Yngwie and know theory is as important as playing with other musicians. I know I'm quoting someone but I don't remember who.."You can sit in your room for eight hours a day for 30 years, and learn EVERYTHING about theory, all the while learning as many songs as you can. But without playing with other musicians, you'll just come off as sounding like the artists you studied...except without the soul and emotion they put in their music." so I reccomend instead of learning Yngwie songs, you work on your improvised stuff, and go out and play with other musicians your age. I mean if you're playing Yngwie stuff you have to already know some theory...you can't play that fast without actually understanding what youre playing haha so you'll probably show up almost anyone you play with...but watch and listen and they'll probably do something..and you'll say "Wow...I never thought of that before!" It could be something very techinical, or it could be something as easy as a blues pentatonic lick you've never heard before. but you're sure to pick up something when playing with other people. thats not always true when you're playing along with recordings.
Last edited by winkles426 at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by jtgpurplelover

Because you're 13, not been playing very long, and don't realise your sloppiness yet.

Stop getting offended, we've all been there.

You could always post a recording to prove me wrong, but I'm afraid chances of that are pretty slim. Get over it and do what I said - play and have fun.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.